Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Diesel Leak Test
- - By undercut Date 05-27-2008 19:25
Can anybody tell me where I can find the minimum soak time for diesel leak testing on seal welds ?
Parent - - By ravi theCobra (**) Date 05-28-2008 16:55
Do  you have  API  650   ?

See section  5.3.2 , Inspection of welds
Parent - - By undercut Date 05-28-2008 19:49
No, we're testing SCR duct at a coal burner power plant and there is a disagreement about how long to wait before checking for leaks.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-28-2008 19:57
Often times on SCR inlet or outlet duct that I have worked on, the fabricator of the duct presented their Leak Test procedure for review.

There are variables that can affect how long to reach all seams etc. Normally a minimum of 30 minutes was required with NO maximum. I have seen new leaks come up as much as a day later. This was often the result of external stiffeners covering seams and thus limiting the ability for the liquid to get to the area by direct flooding.

Also a tip I used for verifying a "leak" was not from a oil mark or other liquid on the inside is to rub the area with some railroad chalk. If the dark spot grows, it is liquid coming from the other side. Also be aware that repaired areas should have fuel re-applied and wait the same amount of time.

Gerald
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Diesel Leak Test