Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Chucking weld fittings in your rollout wheel
- - By cmays (***) Date 05-27-2008 23:36 Edited 05-27-2008 23:39
Just seeing if anybody has some ideas on building a fixture to chuck say a 2 inch 90 with a flange already welded to one end so you could roll out the other weld end. I have one I built but like to see some other ideas. If you cant figure out what Im talking about heres a link where a guy has a setup similar to mine. The only problem is that is only good for one size fitting. http://weldpositioner.com/index.html
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-28-2008 02:31
:-)
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 05-28-2008 02:36
Did I miss something?
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-28-2008 02:38
no
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 05-28-2008 23:40
JR-Dub
You will be at 4 stars before you know it with posts like that.  :)  I am on a pace to get my third in 2010. ;)
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-29-2008 00:21
LOL, that is not my intention, but, if it works out that way, so be it.  :-)

I am tempted to set around one night and just post smileys, jokes and the like until I reach five. LMAO

jrw159
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 05-29-2008 04:00
You GO, Dude! I have to figure out how to put up those little faces so I can be cool like all the REAL members! (haha)

Remember, if it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer.....If it does, get the hammer anyways, it'll make you feel better.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 05-28-2008 03:14
Hi there . Maybe try using an independent 4 jaw lathe chuck with removable steel jaws say, 12"-16" dia. You could fabricate a plate to mount it on & attach it to a turning device similar to what the pic shows, or what you already have. You could tailor make a set of end effectors that could either be welded to the actual jaws of the chuck, or preferably machine the bases of them to fit in the groove of the jaw carrier that rides in the scroll of the chuck. The jaws are generally held on to the carrier by two bolts. Then you could fashion the end effectors coming off the jaws to fit several different sizes of pipe. They could be L or C shaped, able to open & close on the part to be fixured. The adjustment would come from being able to move all 4 jaws independently of one another & you could set it up however you wanted, using only as many of the jaws as you needed to hold the part in place. Then, use a clamp around the back, or whatever you needed to keep the elbow with the fitting on it secure. You would only need to make sure that you align the jaws up at the same time to keep the part on the CL of the chuck's axis.

If you put some time into the end effectors & made them very well & robust, a clamp may not even be needed. You could even use insert pieces made from actual pieces of the same size elbow(s) you intend to fixture. Then just use countersunk screws with hex heads to hold them in place inside the end effectors. It may give a real nice hold on the workpiece. When you're talking about a "universal" type of fixture, sure it probably wouldn't be as fast as using a dedicated jig to hold a specific part, but if you're not doing production work on several pieces all day, it won't really matter. I'm not a pipe guy, nor am I an engineer with a degree from a prestigious technical university, but I worked in the automotive manufacturing industry for about 5 years & looked at a LOT of fixturing on the robots I fed all night. Frankly, industrial structures & fixturing fascinates me. They could build an end effector, or gripping unit on the end of that robot arm to pick up or hold just about anything!

Really, it looks like a pretty straightforward setup in the pic. Just that theirs is non-adjustable. And, it's not like you need to hold it with a terrific amount of force, as if you were machining it. Just enough to keep it set in the fixture so you can spin it as you weld on it. Are you holding the attaching piece of pipe on a roller or jig to tack it up in position too? Just wondered. You can pick up used chucks pretty cheap & even get thinner, table mount ones that aren't so beefy like one that mounts on an actual lathe if you look around. The only drawback would be that the chuck would be heavy. But, if you're looking to use this thing for a long time, it may be worth sinking some time into making it right. I don't know if that is what you are looking for as far an an idea goes, but it's just a thought....... Good luck on it! S.W.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-28-2008 04:03
Following up on Steve's idea, You can buy soft jaw blanks to fit chucks, so You can make custom grippers without having to machine the parts to fit the chuck jaw bases.
Parent - By pipeliner01 (**) Date 05-28-2008 04:33
I've been meaning to build what you're describing, we call it a 90 holder.  I've been meaning to build it for three years now and have given up on it.  Here's my solution, if the flange-90 is going on a long joint, tack your flange-90 on the long joint and use a counterweight with 2 pipe stands and roller heads.  If the pup is too short tack the pup on, clamp it in your chuck and if it's really heavy tack a counterweight onto your wheel, done.  I get sort of amused watching people struggle, because I've been there and struggled just the same, ther's always a way just have to get creative.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 05-28-2008 11:41
Yep, I was going say that too....Just had too much other stuff to say I guess! Just kidding.  LOL. Good Idea, Dave. That would save a lot of time & the blanks are cheap. Soft steel & very easy to weld on. I really think it would work out doing it with a 4 jaw chuck like that & you can even find 4 jaw universal chucks that close all at the same time too. I haven't seen too many of them around, but the are out there. Ebay, as much as I am growing to dislike it, would probably be a good place to look for a reasonably priced chuck. Local auction would too, I suppose. I would think a used one shouldn't cost any more than a couple hundred bucks AT BEST for something nice. I've picked them up at auction for $50+/- before, so I would keep a lookout to find a good price without getting taken to the woodshed over it. Good luck! S.W.
Parent - By ZCat (***) Date 05-29-2008 03:20
in the Veco shop we had some made similar to the picture, only was made out of two pieces of channel iron butted together at a 90 degree angle with a chain welded onto a stud that went to a bolt welded on the opposite side. we did have to use different ones for the different pipe sizes, though.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-29-2008 04:28
I picked up a 4 jaw scroll chuck from My favorite industrial surplus place for $50, but they are few & far between. A "normal" independant 4 jaw chuck is really versatile, and chances of finding one cheap are MUCH greater.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Chucking weld fittings in your rollout wheel