Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / urgent question
- - By cfrancis (**) Date 05-28-2008 14:36
Hi everyone

I have a heavy weldment, about 40" x 40"  x40" in size. It is all comprosed of large 2"-6" thick Grade A36 plates, all welded together. This part is stress relieved before machining. Well, at machining, it was discovered that a dimension was off on some  large 6" thick blocks. I need to surface buildup weld by 5/8" of 3 of these blocks. They would like me to normalize these areas with a torch after this repair. My question is what are the temps/times I need to go by for this process???? Any help or references would be great. Do I relate this d1.1 section 5 for stress relieve??? This seemed more geared obviously to an oven environment ??

Thanks in advance !!
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-28-2008 15:04
This scenario seems rather odd to me.
They seem to be engineering to a certain extent in that they say they (whoever they are) want to normalize the A36, though I'm not sure why. Homogenizing? Toughness? Reducing grain size? With A36?
And yet, they don't inform you of times or temps. And its being done with a torch?
The whole thing sounds a little too 'seat of the pants' to me to be concerned about normalizing A36.
Could be wrong though.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-29-2008 05:22
Just My opinion : The part was stress relieved before machining, some surfaces are now machined and it is discovered that areas have to be built up so there is something to machine. Now we have a problem, in that there will be new stresses from the welding, but the part can't be stress relieved again because some surfaces are already at finish size. Somebody wants to half assed stress relieve the repaired area without affecting the rest of the part.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-28-2008 15:20
I think I would submit a RFI (request for information) to the EOR (engineer of record) for more specific details concerning this.

jrw159
Parent - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 05-30-2008 04:56
cfrancis,
My question is,..why wasn't the entire weldment checked for conformance to specs before anyone started any secondary process (machining)? For that matter why wasn't it inspected prior to stress relieve? This seems to me like a pretty costly weldment, and someone wants their A** covered for hastily performing post weld process. I am NO expert and have no answer to your quandry, but I am pretty sure you can't stress relieve that which has already been done. Just my 2 cents.
respectfully, Jeffrey
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 05-30-2008 16:45
I don't see the reason for normalizing A36; that spec is pretty general and chemistry varies widely.  And if you're going to stress relieve the weldment, I don't see that any other process would have value.  And either way, to use a torch on something with that much mass is just short of ridiculous, IMO.  I have to agree with these guys; go get with the EOR and let him figure it out.  Just my $.05 (inflation-adjusted).
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / urgent question