Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Have a test today
- - By jroyster06 Date 05-28-2008 14:48
Ok im a mig welder now with tig welding experiance. I have tested uphill before but not this type. Its a 1 inch plate beveled 30 degrees w/ an 1/8 inch gap, up hill with flux cored wire.  I have only tested on 3/8" and 1/2" plate before with 0.035 Mig wire. I think he said its just .035 Flux i have ran it up hill a hand full of times but does anyone know the proper procedures. I have always been told 350 maximum interpass heat correct?
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 05-28-2008 15:09
I would expect them to provide you with the weld procedure details like preheat and inter pass temp.  Make sure you clean the slag out of the welds real good.  You may find the weld puddle control easier than plain MIG.
Parent - - By jroyster06 Date 05-28-2008 15:14
How many passes? on the 3/8's plate when i tested i ran a root two stringers on either side grind it and ran my cap. Do the same for this? The 3/8's had a bigger gap. I guess the biggest thing im worried about is filling that gap up fully. I havent ran flux up hill other than in a spray transfer type, any tips on about where to set the machine
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-28-2008 16:41
Here is a tip

This link is to some parameters provided by a FCAW wire manufacturer... Every manufacturers FCAW wire runs a little differently but this will put you in the ball park.
http://www.hobartbrothers.com/pdf/datasheets/Excel_Arc71.pdf

Take note or print off.. 

See that there are different voltage settings for C02 or 75/25 gas.

See that there are specific wire speeds for each diameter of wire for vertical welds.

Choosing a feed speed that is at the lower end of the range will give a beginner a bit more think time while making the welds.

Nothing wrong with having a few notes in your tool bag and using them (as long as your notes fall within the parameter range of your test WPS)

Also pay particular note to the provided stickout distances... This is important for FCAW.

A slight push angle for upward travel... But don't let it change as you approach the top.. Keep it the same all the way.

Don't worry about how many passes it takes (unless the procedure give a specific requirement).  Just keep your weld face smooth and even, removing slag and brushing between each pass.

If the procedure does not specify stringers or weaves... do whichever you do best.

Don't be in a hurry, and remember to clip the end of your wire before each arc start.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Have a test today