Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Brinell hardness question.
- - By Kix (****) Date 05-28-2008 17:30
Does anyone know what units HB's are in?  Is it something like KPF?

Thanks, Ray C.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 05-28-2008 21:05
I may be completely off base here, but if I understand the question correctly...

To my knowledge Brinnel and rockwell tests are an engineering material measure, not a scientific measure. AS such they are a standard onto themselves and don't represent anything like force/area etc etc. I remember specifically that there's 2 types of tests and standards those that can be extrapolated to common units (like a tensile pull test) and those that cannot be extrapolated to standard units, like hardness tests. 

please forgive me if I'm completely off base.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-28-2008 22:42
You're perfectly right, Metarinka.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By ravi theCobra (**) Date 05-28-2008 21:07
It  is  just  a number  -  B  U  T   -  If  you  take  about  half  of  the  3000 kg  Brinnel  load on your  ball penetrator

you  have the approximate  tensile  strength -

For example   T - l  steel  plate  is   about  200 BHN  ( Brinnell Hardness Number ) runs approxamately  ~  100 ksi   while  400  BHN  Abrasion

Resisting  Plate  runs  approxamately   200 ksi -

You used the term  HB ' s  -  you didn't mean  Hardness Rockwell  B   did  you  ?
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-28-2008 22:46 Edited 05-29-2008 00:03
You've been wise, ravi, in warning the reader that conversion of hardness numbers to tensile strength is only approximate and must be used for rough estimates only.
To my understanding, Kix is speaking of Brinell.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By PhilThomas (**) Date 05-29-2008 11:25
HB is the correct unit indictor for Brinnell hardness

Rockwell "B" would be HRB
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-29-2008 05:08
From Machinery's Handbook: Brinell # = load on indenting tool in kilograms / surface area of indentationin square millimeters. A standard ball of 10 mm diameter and a load of 3000 Kg for hard metals is standard practice.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 05-29-2008 13:08
Thanks dave! That is what I was looking for and I'm sorry to the rest of you for not asking the question properly.  All of this information was very informative and helpful.  I appreciate all of the help!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Brinell hardness question.