Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / well hands its like this
- - By Leo27 (*) Date 05-29-2008 00:48
my wife gets so damn mad every time i go on the road  she says she wants the big "D"  and not that or dallas  when i do go i come home every 3 weeks or so when i get ready to go back its the same thing all over again  ?
Parent - By RANDER (***) Date 05-29-2008 01:20
Get a divorce over a job?  Hmmmm.  Well things may need to change brother.  Different job may be the best option especially if theres little LEOS running in the yard.  Sometimes the wifey has got to go.  Don't really know your situation other than the lady is not happy.  6-10, 7-12 money isn't making her happy?  Sometimes you've got to try a little harder when you come home off the road to pay special attention to them.  I know its hard when your running to the hardware store and digging in the yard, plumbing and all the things that just seem to happen two days after you leave and you just want a cold beer and a game on the tele.  Maybe you can find a comparable shop job in your area.  Just remember that you can switch jobs easier than switching wives.  I hope the best for you

Regards
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-29-2008 01:23
Leo27,
  By your profile information, you registered in 1970, so I am assumeing that you have been around the block a few times. So I will not be able to say "welcome to the roadworrior life" but rather "It is what it is" the big money is on the road, and lower money to stay in one spot and come home to mama and the kids every night. I was lucky enough to put in several years on the road and still come out with a successful if not somewhat dysfunctional marriage. (LOL just kidding, not that bad)

I feel for you my Brother, I know your pain first hand. The first 50 miles on your way out with the fresh memory of youngest crying and Mama's sad eyes as you roll off is a killer.

You are most likely no stranger to the scene, so all I can say is that I wish you the best of luck and I am sure you will come out alright.

Best regards,
John
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-29-2008 02:30
Ummm, John...

The World's Greatest Welding Forum did not even exist in 1970 neither did the internet for that matter so, something isn't correct as far as Leo27's actual registration date. ;)
And as you probably also noticed, there are other individuals in here that have registration dates which if properly scrutinized, would make them online in the 1970's 80's, and 90's!!!

This logically doesn't make any sense whatsoever so, I wouldn't trust some of the registration dates that go back past the 1990's, because Al Gore didn't even invent the internet yet! :) Btw, you know that I'm kidding about Al Gore - don't you???

Finally, I agree with RANDER!!! A little extra TLC towards the wife does wonders everytime you get back from the road... In fact, by smothering her with so much kindness - just might even work to your advantage because, you may overwhelm her so much that she'll be begging to hereself for you to leave already!!! :) :) :) Then you'll be totally in the clear!!!

If you play it right, reverse psychology almost always works to your advantage when it comes to these matters and as an old bubblehead myself, I can attest to that sort of strategy when it comes to pleasing the misses!!! ;) All the best to you Leo27!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry

Parent - - By gshuma (**) Date 05-29-2008 02:31
I solved that problem several years ago. It was kind of expensive though.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-29-2008 02:33
It is that expensive because it is usually worth it. :-)
Parent - - By RANDER (***) Date 05-29-2008 02:40
Cmon Henry,

I'm rootin for the Pens.......  

Good game BTW
Parent - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 05-29-2008 13:13
Booooo Pens!!!

Go Wings!!!!!!!! and while were at it Booooo Celtics   Go Pistons!!!!!

While Detroit has some major probelems, we still have these top notch teams to keep our heads up :)
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-29-2008 03:15
Henry,
  So would you be implying that there is a glitch in the system? It would be fairly reasonable for one to think that the "registered" date is correct, but evidently that does not mean squat as well.

Did you indeed register under this user ID in 2001?

John
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-29-2008 15:27
That's affirmative John!

"It would be fairly reasonable for one to think that the "registered" date is correct, but evidently that does not mean squat as well."

John, most of the registration dates are correct... It's just the ones with dates going back to the seventies, eighties, and nineties that are logically incorrect for the very reason I stated previously - The internet was only a sort of "private club" for the military, and scientific community so to speak in the late eighties - early nineties until Al Gore made it public shortly after becoming Vice President. ;) Of course by then, Microsoft came up with a GUI (Graphic User Interface) which made using the internet a much less boring endevour, and sparked all of this massive advertising to we've grown used to since the heady days of MS windows 95, 98, 2nd edition, to windows XP, and now the "glitch" ridden windows Vista operating system platform of today. The MS operating system platforms since windows 3.1 have been the dominating OS since then yet as of late, Apple's MAC OS, and Linux have been gaining some ground even though for the most part, only make up a very small percentage of the total OS's being used today. ;)

So once again, I did register in 2001 as did a few other folks who still participate in "The Worlds Greatest Welding Forum" and, the reason for these "glitches" in the program application that runs the forum is quite simple... Every time one updates windows based software applications, there's most likely going to be a new "glitch" in how the application runs afterwards and yet for the most part, the overall improvement, the added newer features which enable the user to to do more than before, really does outweigh the small imperfections that usually develop when one upgrades either an MS OS (MicroSoft Operating System) or, an application written for use with an MS OS! ;) ;) ;)
It's a small price we pay for progress!!! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry 
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-29-2008 16:12
Henry,
  Thanks for taking the time to elaborate. Always a pleasure. :-)

John
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 05-30-2008 12:39
Henry:
"Microsoft came up with a GUI" ...?
I assume you mean "their version of the GUI", which had been in use in the MAC OS for some time.
Parent - - By Jenn (***) Date 05-30-2008 14:36
Yeah North That's right!!!

PC stands for "Piece of Crap"

MAC stands for "More Advanced Computer"

hee hee

I guess we know where I stand ....
And if for some reason I feel the need for windows, I can just emulate it. been doing it for years.
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 05-30-2008 14:52
You must not do much online stock trading.  The best online trading software is PC dominant.  Heck, it is something like 90% of what is available.  At the American Association of Individual Investors, the Mac users are often orphaned.  I try to help my Brother In Law, and he is unable to download some of the best stuff.  Oh well, so goes the herd mentality.
Parent - By Jenn (***) Date 05-30-2008 15:28
No, can't say that I do. I'm a welding student still struggling along, maybe in a few years when I can spare the change for that :)

I own a pc - but it's not my favorite. I have two mac's as well. Most of my computer experience is in graphic arts and design so there really is no other way to go, PC's just can't handle those huge files like a mac can.

But like I said you can run Windows on your mac, you can get Boot Camp(free), partition a chunk of your hard drive, install whichever version of windows you want and boot up with whichever operating system you choose and it runs just the same. You can then install any program that you'd like and it's exactly as if you are using a regular PC (that's with the newer macs with intel processors, and your drivers don't give you a hard time with this one) With the older ones you can get Virtual PC, or Parrallells, or VMWare Fusion and run windows within a little window right on your desktop (this one limits some of your drivers though, it's a little quirkier).

SO my point being, it can be done, you just have to know HOW TO....  I have gotten around having to use a PC for 15 years, I only own one because I could get a laptop for way way cheaper than a macbook to take to some classes for programming in visual basic and java, and it was just more convenient - havent' turned it on since that semester ended - hee hee!

respectfully, and hopefully informatively
and sorry to heist the thread

Jenn
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-31-2008 04:26 Edited 05-31-2008 04:32
Didn't Zerox invent the GUI? The way I heard it, they invented the graphic user interface, and gave it the acronym pronounced "GOOEY". Nobody would touch it. :-) They essentially gave it away to Microsoft.
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 06-01-2008 23:13
Dave:

http://applemuseum.bott.org/sections/gui.html

More than you really want to know about the history of the GUI!
Parent - - By Jenn (***) Date 05-29-2008 14:28
Just a few tips from a lady....

Some of these things might help, at least shows you're thinking of her while you're gone.

1800FLOWERS
Vermont teddy bear 1800829Bear

I've been in a relationship where he travelled all the time, and these things didn't replace him, but they sure did help let me know he was thinking of me. Sappy, but the old stuff still works, even if she says she's not into all that (I'm not really) but she won't turn em down!

And when you do come home, spend time with HER on HER only, not sittin' in front of the tube ignoring, or in the garage, ask her what she wants to do - and put up with it without complaining .... it'll go a long way....

Just my 2 cents!

Jenn
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 05-29-2008 21:39
When I m on the road she and I talk EVERY night. And not just a few minutes either. 45 minutes to an hour. EVERY NIGHT! I have done homework over the phone. She and I have had spats on the phone and even had MUS on the phone.
My bride and I will celebrate 18 years on July. I have been on the road 16 of them.
We had a set down talk before we were married and then soon afterward. She really did not have a concept about hwat being "gone" was. It took a few years for us to realize when I got home, she had run the place of 3-6 months, none of the kids were naked, dirty or loosing weight, the lights were still on, and the car had gas in it and the insurance was paid. And I was gonna tell HER how to run the place while I was "visiting?"
And she was right.
I know guys who will be home for 2-3 weeks then the road starts clling. You road whore$ know wht I mean. You get into a fight just so you can call somebody and get hired on to get way from the house. I dont know if that is you or not.
Shoot Sancho may be coming by with Jody and she wnts YOUR but on the road so she can get back to HER life.
Have I hit any nerves here?
Do I have a great marrage? I believe I do and if my bride leave me, I am going with her. And if she needs to pick up Jody, he better have gas money, cause I refuse to pay for the gas!
BABRT's
Parent - - By Leo27 (*) Date 05-30-2008 00:37
thanks fore the input and i only been on this for 5 months in 1970 i was 1 yr old ok lets put that part to rest
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-30-2008 01:08
LOL!! Thanks for that. :-)
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-30-2008 04:32
I don;t really understand this stuff either [other than what Henry just explaned]. The "oldest" Email listed on this computer is dated 2/21/1970, and there are a few suposedly from 2002. Pretty wierd since I only got this computer in Aug. '06,  and never had a computer before '04.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 05-30-2008 12:11
Mine says I registered in 69. I heard that was a good year here in the states, but not for you boys in nam.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-30-2008 13:09
Leo, listen to Jenn, she makes good sense!  I'm away 6 weeks at a time, then home for 2 weeks, God knows how long this is going to last and I discussed very carefully with my wife before accepting.  She's cool with it, not saying it isnt hard for both of us but we're really focused on our future.  We've been married 6 years and this is my first away from home job,  It's extra tough for her because she's not from America so feels even more alone, even though she's got plenty of friends.  If you follow Jenn's advice and there's still problems well, maybe your river runs deeper than you can see?  Good luck in either case!
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-01-2008 23:24
You got it. Communication is the key. I was never on the road after I got married, but I worked nights in a factory, lots of overtime & we had opposite shifts. We never saw each other till the weekend & even then, I was working on the side to support us. I talked to her every break, every night. It paid off. We had our rough times too, but married 8yr. this November. You roadies got some tuff skin, I don't think I could do it now. Like you said, Big K. The lights are on & the bills get paid, she's doing it right! I ain't gonna argue that. Keep the faith! S.W.

"Charlie 'how your Angels get down like that?" (Destiny's Child)
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / well hands its like this