Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Dead End Road
- - By EMWelding (*) Date 05-29-2008 01:36
Let me start by saying it seems like a dead end road, i am a retired navy steelworker (SEABEE) I have been welding for 28 years, been pipe certified,aerospace certified,structual,and all that good stuff. I  currently have my own business and thought that was the way to go,but work seems to get harder to get,and then the customer tries to beat you up on the money. what I guess I am trying to say is i need something different. I have a toterhome welding rig with a trailblazer and set up to do aluminum and stainless steel, plasma cutter,pipe benders,saws, and all that stuff to do anything mobile, worked for our government (civil service) as a master welder and pipefitter. now business has come to a grinding halt, have been doing t-tops,towers,rails,and all the bling-bling on boats. I here everyone making good money rig welding, I am ready. do they have aluminum and s.s. rig welders, been years since i have done any pipe welding, should be like riding a bike right. If anyone has any suggestions that would help looking for a good mobile job. new to this forum but would like to here from pysco or sourdough sounds like you guys been doing this awhile. hate to sound like i am *****en but tired of dead end roads.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 05-29-2008 02:28
Man, you can say that 4 SURE! In the great economical paradise called Michigan, the only way you can make money is getting a scarcely hard to find union job, or work in a sweatshop factory 70+ hours a week. I did that for 5 years & had enough. I tried doing welding here full time, but no one here wants to pay squat & most contractors who are non union want your soul & then some. Worked for one guy & did 43 hours in 3 days. Spent most of it burning 1/4" 7018 inside a filthy scrap shredder. I'm not a puss, but digging my own grave is a pastime I would rather not pursue. especially at my age. I just sell welding equipment now & although I'm not getting rich, I pay the bills & am home every night to watch baseball & see my wife & kid. Really, the rig life pays good & you run your own show, but a lot of those guys put in 80+ hour weeks & are gone for a month or more at a time. I know a lot of guys doing the out of state gigs & see how often they're around. They got some hardened steel cajones & earn their money. If that's for you, cool. Most of it's pipeline stuff, structural fab  or shutdowns in mills, etc. Great money, but a lot of travel.

If the local economy supports it, & you want to stay close to home, try kitchen maintenance welding & general repair. You already have everything you need & don't have to go buy an expensive water cooled machine to go out into the oilfield with. It's clean & safe, not too trying on a fella's body either. I got me a little gig with the owners of all the local Taco Bell restaurants & get $55 per hour + materials for mostly easy kitchen & trash container enclosure repairs. I don't get called every week, but they're consistent & don't try to bag me for a cheap rate. I also would recommend searching out audio-visual/stage & lighting business that set up sound, lights & stage for shows, concerts, etc. Especially if you have a good setup for TIG & GMAW aluminum welding. I have a very good account with a company here in town & they are golden to me. Get $90/hr for emergency work & $55/hr for everything else. Don't let ANYONE kid you, those guys get some big money for setting up those shows & spend it too.

I made them some fixtures for some computer controlled lights that spin around & flash up & down. Kinda like on all those stupid reality shows, when the drama moment comes & all the lights cycle up, then down. They paid $8000+ a piece & had 15 of them. They were going to shell out $350 a piece for the fixtures without question from a catalog. I charged $300 for the pair & it took all of about a short day to do it. I got real lucky coming across those guys & they treat me right. I wish I could work for them every day. Just for comparison, the local hacks usually get around $35-$45 per hr & the BIG expensive hack shop with the $15,000 a year phone book advertisements & $12 per hr employees (with of course, NO benefits) get around $72. I fall right in the middle. Making money on custom fab around here is usually a teenager's wet dream & nothing more. Not unless you stick to commercial accounts & corporate business with open check books & blank checks. Steer clear of the family owned "larger" smaller businesses. Most of those guys didn't get wealthy by paying their subcontracted help or employees well if you know what I mean. I have personal experience with more than a few of those deals. NO GOOD! At least not around here. If all else fails, lie about an injury & go on welfare!(haha) You could always become a politician.........Anyways, that's my thought on the matter, at least if you want to call it that. Keep the faith, it'll get worse before it gets any better! Good luck! S.W.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 05-29-2008 03:03
sbcmweb thanks for the write up I enjoyed reading that it has helped me to more figure out my life and to set my goals higher.
I interviewed for a job today gonna find out tomorrow if they'll hire me which I think they will now wheather it will be what I want hourly I just don't know. I just realized a few days ago it really hit me fuel prices are going through the roof these people don't seem to want to pay more hourly and I'm afraid to say but I feel another depression coming in the near future. This is INSANE I deffinitly got my scare a few days ago.

Chris
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 05-29-2008 03:51
That sure is NO doubt. I sincerely appreciate all the very kind folks I've met since getting on this site. Hey, we can all help each other out. We're all riding down the same septic flavored creek without a paddle & there's a hole in the boat! I hate to see anyone throw themselves away on a dead end job, forsaking everything sacred in their lives for the Almighty dollar. I knew a guy I worked with in the plant, was about 59, had 38+ years in & had been there since he got out of the Guard in '64 at about 19. Worked a gravy skilled trades job, making $35/hr, time 1/2 over 40 hr & double time on Sundays. He was a 12 hr/7day a week guy. Owed nothing to no one. House paid, cottage up North, all the toys, you know, smart with his money. Perfect little wife at home, daughter in college. Living the "good" life. He retired with a full GM pension: 39 total years of service & 57 years old.

On the night before Halloween 4 years ago, he walked in the house, used the phone then dropped to the floor of his newly remodeled kitchen, suffering a massive heart attack right in front of his wife. He was dead before the paramedics got there less than 7 minutes later. He had only been retired about 1 1/2 years & was 59. I got the news about 10 minutes before I went in that night. It was a real wake up for me. I cried all night. It was just so hard to believe. It really made me realize how much we have & have to loose, all in a second. I really started to think less about how much money I could make in a week & more about my family & what I already had right in front of me. Especially since I wasn't getting along all too well with my wife either. Not to mention the fact that his wife was already living with another guy & engaged to him less than a year after Woody was gone. They had been married 38 years. I guess when you leave someone you took a vow to love & cherish at home 24/7 all alone..........well put 2+2 together.

We all gotta do what we gotta do, but I suppose it's all about what kind of life you want to have. I've been dirt poor, & made the big union shop money. I've been super deep in the hole, & have turned $5200 in one week clear, after profit owning my own business. The money really means little to me now, it's just unfortunately an all too necessary tool we all need to survive. I just want to be a better husband & dad than the one I had. Keep the faith & remember that you are worth more than some scumbag hack looking for another weak minded strong back thinks, or tells you you are. Hey, on the lighter side...You could always weld yourself up an armor-plated bulldozer & mow down the town like that dude in Colorado did a few years ago. Think of the publicity you'll get!!! Not to mention the all-expenses paid living arrangements furnished by the State that you will enjoy!! LOL. Seriously, don't let the turkeys get you down. Just shoot them & make turkey sandwiches! Good luck on your job Chris!!! S.W.
Parent - By RANDER (***) Date 05-29-2008 04:06
You know that reminds me of a statistic I saw somewhere once upon a time (Please dont make me look it up), that doctors usually die at age 55 of a heart attack.   Maybe cause they work 16 + hour days everyday while we work less.  They burn out quicker.  I dont know, Im like you - just get the bills paid, save a little, save alot if you can, ........ Live life, love your family, BBQ that pork shoulder (it wont kill you any faster than the overtime),   we only get so many years untill we see the light.  
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 05-29-2008 04:26 Edited 05-29-2008 04:32
sbcmweb yeah I quit my last job for well a couple of things one was working like a slave yeah the money was nice but yeah you're right I was living everyday not making that much hourly but yeah the overtime was nice but I would come home and eat sleep sh*t and wake up do it all over again.. I was like what the hell am I doing. I was working like I had 4 ex-wifes and about 20 kids well I'm young and single have no kids and was like what the hell am I doing. so I quit for that reason and for harrassment was the main thing but yeah after a month or so with no job I can't even begin to tell you how ALIVE I feel gosh I thought I'd never feel like this again. A trip to Colorado sure did help me to think a little. I interviewed for this job today and I think I'll get it like said before but yeah I don't want to be in that kinda crazy enviorment again if thats case maybe I will start my own buisness but I don't know if I couldn't handle that stress either LOL but if I am making more well who knows.

The Bulldozer thing it was in Grandby Colorado I was living at the time exactly 5 miles from there working at a ski resort boy was that some crazy stuff. I can remember drinking beer and watching it on TV truely insane actually had a friend drive through there the time it was going on thank god she didn't get hurt.

Chris
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 05-29-2008 05:12
Dude! that's a real trip. The world's sure a small place. When I was working at GM, towards the end, before I took a life saving buy out option, the guys used to kid me about welding up a bulldozer & driving it right thru that place after we saw it on the news. That was kind of unsettling, but I really felt that I was going to blow if I didn't get the hell out. I was miserable there, working nights & never seeing my family. You know, that guy did it all because he was pissed off about a muffler shop near his property & fighting with the city council about ordinances best I can recall. He worked on it for 1 1/2 years & left a letter stating his intentions & was amazed that he was never discovered before pulling it off. He had installed closed circuit cameras on it & had a sizable armament of guns & ammunition. He killed himself after the dozer overheated & got stuck in a building.

It really makes you think about how something as insignificant as a grievance about a city ordinance & someone else's actions just running their own business can cause a person to snap & set out to destroy property, or kill innocent individuals. Stuff like that always makes me wonder what that person was thinking, especially all the nights that guy spent welding away on that D-9 thinking....."I'm gonna get even, you'll see." He had a million opportunities to back out, come to his senses. What about his family? friends? Everybody's got to have a few people that care about them. Damn, what a waste. Even for the dozer. Not to mention all the people who were directly effected &will never forget it either. As you said, thank God your friend didn't get injured. I don't believe it was ever his intention to harm anyone, but still a real terrifying event for all who were effected by it.

I bet you are going to come out just fine. Just like RANDER said, Live life & love your family. They will be around long after that job's done & the welds on the pipe are cut back out to put something else in. Money's nice, but just keep in mind that when Sears said the "good" life was at a great price in their TV commercial, they forgot to say that it also CAME at a great price too. Turned into a pretty good thread. I said in the past that I didn't have time to be talking on threads, but here I am.....A sucker for good conversation with good people. Peace out...It'll all stick together in the end....One way or another.

"What would we do without Galaxy Glue? Life would fall to pieces without Galaxy Glue" (From the movie The Incredible Shrinking Woman. C.1981)
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 05-29-2008 14:45
The dozer thing well I think he had owned a muffler shop and I'm not positive what it was all about I do know that some of the people that lived in the town ruled against him in what it was all about so he was just going after them and destroying there shops and stores around.
There were some stores he totally left alone and know one got killed during this just property dammaged. I had heard he had cancer was pretty much dieing anyway and said why the hell not go out with a bang. The one thing I truely learned from that is to try and be nice to everyone you don't want to piss off the wrong people. Kinda like some of these crazy shootings in school some kid got picked on or whatever.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 05-29-2008 14:52
Yeah, that sounds right. I forgot all the details, but it stuck with me either way. Still a sad deal all around. The cops said he intentionally avoided people, like you said, just out to destroy property. What a crazy world we live in! You really got to be careful these days. Never know what someone's going to do if they fly off the handle.

Hope that job deal works out good for you. I bet something will either way. Just throw a little bit of that 'ol Galaxy Glue on her & stick to it! Nice time talking to you! Take care...Steve.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 05-29-2008 16:01
yeah Steve this guy called me back today I'm taking the job but I don't like the pay they said in 90 days they'll move me up to what I want but I don't know it's not what I really want, they don't do pipe welding there and it's pretty dang hard to just be doing Structural I did a years worth of tig welding stainless pipe and it's just to dang hard to go back to structural but I guess I will till something better comes up.
I gotta get a tig rig for my machine so I can keep at the pipe so I don't forget it and rusty which I am feeling already. Do you know where i can get a weldcraft air cooled 200 or even a 300 amp tig setup online? I've seen some on ebay but they were just 150amp.

Chris
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 05-29-2008 17:00
I know what it's like to do work you hate, but you gotta pay the bills somehow. I'm scrapping machines right now & it's very labor intensive & time consuming. No fun & I got a bad back to boot. I have some nice Binzel 250 amp aircooled torches & a nice Miller HF box for sale right now. Give me a call if you want & I'll tell you all the details. Thanks. S.W. 517 202 0314
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 05-29-2008 17:39
dam that sucks I just placed an order already for a weldcraft 200 amp air cooled torch. I probally should have gotten the weldcraft 300 amp air cooled but oh well this should be fine for a little while till I burn it up LOL Binzel I don't think I've ever heard of that brand. The HF probally wouldn't work on my sa 200 it's a 62 I'm just gonna use the scratch start or flick the filler off the tungsten to get it going thanks though for the offer shoot I wish I would have checked back though.

Chris
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 05-29-2008 18:22
I would cancel that order. I was going to tell you that there's a guy on ebay that has new Binzel (a very,very good European brand) torches, air cooled 250 amps, 25' long for $65-$70 or best offer. I bought 4 of them from him for $60 a piece & he shipped them for free. The HF box I have will work on any machine & has a contactor built in to shut the gas on & off. Only thing is, you NEED 115 VAC to run it. Plugging it in to the 115 VDC outlet on your Lincoln will fry it instantly. You would just have to have an aux. AC power supply to plug it in. Then you could weld with no screwing around with scratch & turning gas on & off. Whatever works for you is cool. I got it on ebay right now. had some dude from overseas asking about it, but I don't ship out of the country. Oh well...Someone will buy it. S.W.
Parent - - By Root Pass (***) Date 05-29-2008 21:57
I have bought from SCBMWEB before off of e-bay. I got a HF-251 from him after someone pluged mine into a SA 200. He is a great guy and very honest and easy to deal with. Don't hesitate to deal with him. Great guy.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 05-29-2008 22:08
I really appreciate that! I wish you still had the junk one. I had a 115 transformer I found for it. I just sold it though! Thanks again for the props! you're a real decent guy to deal with yourself!! S.W.

" God creates dinosaurs, God destroys dinosaurs...God creates man, man creates dinosaurs, man destroys God...Dinosaurs eat man...Woman rules the earth." (Jurassic Park)
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 05-29-2008 23:15
I appreiciate the offer it was about 100 dollars for it with shipping but I think it's probally to late to cancel the order. What kinda HF is it who makes it that you have??
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 05-30-2008 02:00
It's a miller HF unit. Look at the for sale posts & you will see it. It's very nice & works perfect. Thanks. S.W.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 05-30-2008 02:33
yeah I found it on here very nice unit. I'm not positive but somewhere I read with these old dc welders you can get some kinda like inverter they call it to be able to run ac have you heard of this before?
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 05-30-2008 02:44
I don't know about running an inverter off the 115 VDC. I have heard of ones that run off an alternator. If I was an SA owner, I would just have a little 3500 watt generator for lights & tools that don't use DC. I don't know how readily available AC is on a jobsite in the pipeline work. Either way, you NEED to have AC 115 to run it. I just sold one to a guy that had one burn up when someone plugged his into a DC outlet on an SA. If you find anything out, let me know. It's a great running unit & works without a remote cord. No hot torch & gas flow problems. S.W.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Dead End Road