Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / employment websites!!! help on finding work!!!!!!
- - By KENNY629 (**) Date 05-29-2008 21:29
WHAT are some GOOD unemployment websites that I can check out.......... besides monster, hotjobs, indeed, etc. Im already on them!! need to post my resume and find a friggin jobbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb.. this is crazy, they say the industry needs welders!! well hellooooooooooo.. im here.......
Parent - - By mountainman (***) Date 05-29-2008 21:58
hey man, i don't mean to be harsh. but, if you really need a job and are willing to work hard then go start knocking on some doors. take the initiative to go out there and get some eye to eye contact with employers. that in my opinion is what impresses them. the industry DOES need welders, but i think it might benefit YOU to actually go out there and find THEM. i wouldn't be comfortable waiting for someone to stumble across my resume in hopes of them hiring me, i would make it easy for them and put my face in front of their face.

my two cents,
JJ
Parent - - By slober Date 06-27-2008 00:11
hi my name is Edward I read what you posted.  The problem that I am having is finding a worksite to get into the union.  I was told if I find a union 798 that needs help, I can get into the union that way. I am having a hard time finding one.  Im in Illinois, but am more than willing to relocate. Got any advice for me? Thanks for your help, Edward
Parent - By mountainman (***) Date 06-30-2008 16:39
hi, Edward, i myself don't know what it takes or how to go about getting a union job. i have no experience working for a union, but i'm sure others in here have a lot of tips and direction to help you out.

good luck
JJ
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-29-2008 23:39
8 Hours of showing up with a hood and gloves is probably gonn get you more than a week of the internet. Use the internet as a tool to help you find a job. Its only on e of the tools.
Parent - - By longbeachsucks Date 06-01-2008 03:10
I  am  a  structural  shipping  container  mechanic/welder.  Does  anyone  have  any  idea  where  I  can  apply  for  a  job  in   my  field    that  is  not  in  southern  California?
Parent - - By pipeliner04 (**) Date 06-05-2008 01:59
yea man theres all kind of ship yards and stuff alone the coast of houston.  im not sure what kind of welding you do but theres a lot of structural work to be done in the refineries down there too.  they pay between 25 and 35 an hour.  be a good job for a guy like yourself
Parent - - By longbeachsucks Date 06-15-2008 23:10
For  the  past  2  years  I  have  been  strictly  mig   welding.  I  learned  how  to   weld  in  prison  making  bunk  beds.How   would  I  go   about  contacting  companies   in  Houston?
Parent - By pipeliner04 (**) Date 06-16-2008 03:06
hotsheets.com or jobsheets.com just pick a company and call em,,if they dont have work theyll know somebody that will.   try shaw first they got a two year job payin 31 and 85 7 days a week
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 05-30-2008 20:35
Yea kenny, you are here. The welding jobs are out THERE. No one here is gonna hire you based on your postings. You have been given great advice. It is up to you to take it.
They may not need welders where you are.
They durn sure do where I am. All you have to do is get you butt from behind the computer and hit the bricks! Check out the Houstion Moronical or anywhere along the Gulf coast. But it is not 40 hrs per week type stuff. It is work, sweat and weld your but off for 60 to 70 hrs per week. And this is summer. If you can weld, there is a job out there. It just aint in here!
BABRT's
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 05-31-2008 02:09
Hey KENNY629,
This reply is to try to give you some kind of understanding regarding the responses you have been given by the very gracious gents here. This forum is the primo place to get the most sound and accurate responses in all the arenas of welding. My response is not to sound demeaning, harsh, or cruel, only factual and comes from a span of 45 years in the welding & manufacturing industries. I have never had a problem finding work.... good work that pays well. I've always had a hunger to learn anything new that would enhance my knowledge base and give credence to my abilities to do any job a company needs.

This is your 3rd post regarding a job & your inability to find work. First, in your other post, JTMcC really provided you with the primary factor to have success landing a job you are interested. You must take into considerations, your location, the wages in the northeast, the workloads of the various industries in your state, the cost of living, and the demand for good welders in your state. As I live in PA, I know wages are lower in the NE than most other geographical areas. The best wages earned are those who excel in their craft and have proven to be a valuable asset to their employer. The more you know, the more experience you can provide, and the willingness to learn the entire gamut of a companys' operation will serve you well. At 36, you should be able to find good work, whether welding or not, and at least, get your feet in the door to earn your way to a good welding position if that is available. You gotta do some homework on your own. Get out the Yellow Pages and look up all the manufacturing, fabrication, & welding shops in your surrounding area & make a list. A visit to each potential employer will result in a higher probability to get an interview. A company looks to those who will do some legwork & at least make an in-person application & introduction. It show initiative & self-esteem that you are a confident and mannered person who has respect for an employer. And, as others have stated, take your welding helmet & gear with you.... to every company. You never know....

In closing, I would strongly suggest to learn all the processes, ie., SMAW, GTAW, GMAW, O/A, plasma cutting, and the multitude of material such as steel, SS, Alum., cast, brass/brz, and the positions that may arise. In your "interim" phase of unemployment, you would be best prepared getting some serious practice done & learning different techniques.  Anyway, just some "food for thought" from an "ol-timer" who now has the luxury to enjoy my retirement, still work p/t at my employer, have a super "hobby" welding operation on the side, and can say with pride that the welding arena has been the best provider for myself & my family. Besides, I have a passion to weld, fabricate, & manipulate metal that has never diminished. I will say Good Luck & start hustling........   Denny
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-31-2008 02:43
Golden words!!!!
Parent - - By KENNY629 (**) Date 05-31-2008 16:28
great advice, i will take it and run with it my freind... thank you.

here's the funny thing about this whole situation, i was forced by my Union hall to take some courses over the winter months to get certified in some Laborer catigories, LIKE, welding, hositing and rigging, mason work, osha, etc... the thing is that my BA, told me hey ken do you want to go to school for free and get some certs? i was like hell ya...
so i did get my hoist & rigging, last winter, and went this past winter to get my welding lic, that the school provides us, and here its not THAT i can use any of the them, because work suck around here in New England............
Parent - By okiewelder2 (**) Date 06-16-2008 00:50
if your in the union go down to the hall and have them find u a job. if your willing to travel u can get a welding job.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / employment websites!!! help on finding work!!!!!!