Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / arc strikes with 304
- - By dasimonds (**) Date 05-30-2008 00:27
Hey guys,
   anybody have personal experience with arc strikes on 304 leading to problems?
Dale simonds
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-30-2008 03:39
Hey Dale!

I've got no data for you... Just wanted to say long time no see!

Good to have ya back.

Lar
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 06-02-2008 14:25
I do, but it's not cut and dry like you would think. What is the service/environment etc in question?
Parent - - By dasimonds (**) Date 06-06-2008 11:11 Edited 06-06-2008 11:24
Service is LNG vapor, approximately -190 F. Been in service since the 70's. Just makes me wonder how important arc strikes are with 304L. Looks like one of the defects might even contain some tungsten. Suprisingly, I couldn't find a welder ID #.
Dale Simonds
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-06-2008 15:23
JMHO, Arc strike on 304L pipeing. Not good, and generally leads to a cut out.

Besides the fact that it is just poor workmanship.

How many are there? It appears there are several substantial arc strikes in the posted pic.

jrw159
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 06-06-2008 15:06
The only thing I can remember reading about was since they heat and cool so quickly it can lead to cracking.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-06-2008 15:24
Bingo, Ringo. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-06-2008 15:59
Dale,
The pipe you are talking about, in my expereince, is much more typical of austenitic stainless steels with arc strikes than any concern for mechanical failures. Not that a concern may not be justified. I'm just saying I'd like to see some data  before I go running around waving my arms crying the sky is falling. After all, that line you are showing has been in service for ~30 years or more. 30 YEARS!!!
Though for corrosion reasons there are some notable exceptions. I'd like to see some failure data related to arc strikes with austenitics.
There seems to me to be a fair number metallurgical reasons for this. No martensitic transformation upon rapid cooling, the traditional bain of ferritics everywhere in arc strike discussions (reference the many D1.1 arc strike discussions on this forum). Actually higher delta ferrite (especially with 304 which solidifies as ferrite) which helps with hot cracking. The material has much greater toughness and ductility than ferritcs.
On the other hand, you will have greater stress ont he material due to high thermal expansiona nd contraction.
But corrosively I can see a problem. But then if the corrosive medium is on the inside and most arc strikes are on the outside what issue would you have there. If you have an austenitic that is insulated and near salt water, as with a sea coast (common with desals) you may have a problem in perhaps an SCC response.
I could also see the possibility of sigma in high temp services due to high ferrite in the arc strike HAZ. But this would be minimal and obviously only a problem when the line was cooled down.
But after all this long winded discussion Gerald said it best. Its not as cut a dried as you would think.
Parent - By dasimonds (**) Date 06-06-2008 23:05 Edited 06-06-2008 23:14
As far as I know, there is no corrosion component with LNG(basically Methane) in either its liquid(-260C) or vapor phases(-190C), so in this particular situation, the arc strikes are of no concern. As you said, the fact the pipe has survived as long as it has is a testament to its toughness and ductility.
Thanks for confirming what I was thinking.
I can remember Prof. Crisi saying Aluminum stays ductile all the way to absolute zero(-273C,-459F).
Does 304L even have a ductile-brittle transition temp?
304 seems suitable for liquid hydrogen service,-252C,-423F.
I believe the extremely low or lack of a ductile-brittle transition temperature is the main reason that weld in the picture(there are more just like it in service on the same system) exhibits no problems, and probably never will.
Even considering that, there is no excuse for leaving work like this.
As a welder, I can't imagine leaving defects like these on a weld.
#1. Is there a time in a job that a guy wouldn't have time to remove these defects(start up)?
#2. Where was his foreman?
#3. Where was the QC?
The facility now does both PT and RT on all butt welds. I asked why and was told they had a weld that passed RT but leaked.
I come from a background, like many, that were taught that arc strikes were a bad thing, and you will probably get some, just make sure you remove them.
Thanks for the responses.
Dale Simonds
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 06-09-2008 14:54
The problem with arc strike in general is there is no hard data on failures. Doesn't matter if it's riddled with arc strike, A failure usually is attributed to some other factor. Mechanically, I've re-created the experiment Mr wright performed on carbon. It did in fact have a notch effect. When I have time, I intend to get into the microscopic examination of it, but the lab I have access to is 100 miles away.

Service would play a large roll in it as well. My experience with LNG systems is that the players with the hard data on them, don't like releasing that data.
I've worked two LNG terminals/4 trains, finding data is like the proverbial needle in the haystack.

The one thing I've noted about cryogenics in general is, if it makes it past cool down, it's not very likely anything else is going to happen unless someone screwed up the installation of monitoring equipment. If one of the line I&C temp gauges is not working, it could be subject to in line localized uncontrolled thermal inversion as the operators would not have accurate temps from the top and bottom sides. Any notch in such a condition would be the likely fracture point if any. (if you've ever seen the aftermath of one of these, you would understand).

As for cracking, not all arc strikes create cracks, though they certainly have the potential for it. If it's been there 30 years, It will likely be there another 30 except for conditions I've already mentioned. For LNG, I would be more concerned with the notch effect. I seriously doubt the arc strikes depicted would be a problem as long as the instrumentation and plant operation are ok given the length of service already in.

A properly welded 304L weld / annealed base material will usually have very good toughness values at -196c, though the range servicable delta ferrite is not cut and dry with cryogenic temperatures. I've got hard data telling me 6 to 17 has acceptable values, 18 to 21 or so the toughness values are near to minimum. Then it goes back up after 21 before going back down shortly thereafter. That was for the particular source of filler/material and may not apply to all.

Clear as mud now.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-09-2008 15:40
Gerald,
Now you've hit upon something very interesting. Any explanation for it going up above 21?
Do you remember off hand what the upper level of ferrite was before it started going back down again?
Parent - - By 3.1 Inspector Date 06-07-2008 06:13
js55 is spot on.
Rapid cooling og austinitic steel will not be a problem in regards to cracking.
You could argue that that the notches on the surface could lead to mechanical fatigue, but to the best of my knowledge the 300 series dont have an indurance limit, which means it would totally depend on the number of cycles at a given stress.
Ofc its very very poor workmanship and if it was in "my" plant I would certanly repair it and do PT.

Is it surface porosity I can see in the weld?
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-08-2008 19:26
Dale,
I gotta agree that it certainly demonstrates questionable workmanship and there really isn't any excuse for it.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-08-2008 19:42
The ductility and toughness of austenitic SS's at cryo is primarily controlled by ferrite content. I'm not sure how low fully austenitic SS can go before any brittleness, if any, is manifest fundamentally. I've never been involved in any testing that low(<-420F). And for that matter how do you?  You have to actually smack it or pull it in the liquid chilling medium. You'll never get a specimen to an anvil fast enough to accurately judge the temp you actualy have if you don't. Who can do that? Even -420 is silly, IMO, or perhaps a reasonable and workable rough estimate. You just can't get it out of the medium and set it on the anvil fast enough to have any kind of accuracy. And the specimen is heating up really fast. He at -452F, pull it out as fast as you can and say its -420F. OK. It sure ain't -452. Who knows where it is?
Also, note that in 31.3 for Ni's, Cu's, Al's, etc,(fully austenitics) they swith to a notched tensile test from Charpies.
Parent - By dasimonds (**) Date 06-08-2008 20:13 Edited 06-08-2008 20:23
I was just referencing the fact that 304 is used for liquid hydrogen. I'm sure if 304 had any brittleness issues at that temp, it wouldn't be used.
I did a little checking and the 300 series is also used for liquid helium, boiling point -452F.
Hope I didn't create any confusion.
Dale Simonds
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 06-09-2008 16:13
I've got the information at home for machines that can do that, I'll look it up and get it to you. Your correct about the standard method, it is considered a "reasonable workable rough estimate".
Parent - - By Bonniweldor (**) Date 06-10-2008 02:47
My opinion is that workmanship features resulting in geometric or superficial stress raisers at the surface would be the most significant problem potential for an austenitic material with an arc strike.  Metallurgically, the concern with arc strikes relates historically and primarily to hardenable ferrous  materials being cooled fast from from temperatures above the transformation temperature and forming hard, untempered, martensite as a result, which is hard and crack sensitive.  Add to this that the arc spot volume is highly restrained by the surrounding mass of metal with high residual stress as ready reserve of energy for promoting and driving cracking.  To the extent the flash melt-freeze cycle of an arc strike can cause ferrite or martensite to remain in the arc affected material, superficial cracking can be initiated at low cryogenic temperatures, but the parent metal should be tough enough to blunt any propagation, unless a significant fatigue environment is imposed.

While austenitic materials are significantly more tolerant of arc strikes, welding specification requires their removal in any case simply because it is a flaw structure of uncertain properties that simply should not be there.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-10-2008 13:21
Bwelder,
That was very well said.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / arc strikes with 304