Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Look before you back up. Please
- - By swsweld (****) Date 05-30-2008 02:37
Must of been something in the air.
I didn't take pictures of the picnic table (not ours) that we backed over with our fork lift. (that would be evidence)

But I did take a picture of our new welding machine that was backed over by a different forklift on the same day on the same job.

IMG]http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn196/swsweld/watertower020.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn196/swsweld/watertower021.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn196/swsweld/watertower022.jpg[/IMG]

Sometimes you just have to laugh. ha ha. OK I'm better now.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-30-2008 03:36
swsweld,
  It would appear from the pics that this is a true "construction site" and this is a very important thing to keep in mind. I can onle ass-u-me that it is required to wear a reflective safety vest on site. But if it is or not one must always consider themselves "In the line of fire" when equipment as described is being operated.

I am glad that no injurys occured as a result of these incidents. 

Work Safe, Somebody needs you!!!!

jrw159
Parent - By and4rik (**) Date 06-08-2008 23:59
I recall an incident when I was in the line of fire ON the fork lift.  Some newbie from the field was in the shop taking care of his time card, he needed a pen and I was the first guy he saw.  Unfortunatly for me I had a 20' section of pipe rolling on the forks.  The ungency of his situation killed his last remaining brain cells obviously.   Maybe he was an idiot or maybe just a jerk, I let him have it, so to speak, should've hunted that prick down and got him fired.  By the the time I was done I forgot about it and never saw him again. 
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 05-30-2008 03:47
musta been our shipping & recieving guy, he just got banned from driving our forklifts for not looking when backing up! :)
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-31-2008 04:58
At the auto frame plant a fork truck operator missed the dorway - going forward. He got 1 fork through the 15' wide doorway, the other through the brick wall. There was a problem with the "outside" [big large tired machines for use outdoors] forklift operators drinking & doing drugs on the job. Random drug testing was a new concept at this time, and was instituted shortly after the incident.
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 05-30-2008 14:26
Forklifts nearly always win!!!!!

Griff
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-03-2008 21:01
Hey, looks like that machine's nice 'n "broke in" now. Saw a guy drop a brand new $20,000 Clausing lathe off the forks while they were moving it. It bounced! Only wish I had some pics of that. It never worked right again. "Life comes at you fast.....Nationwide's on your side!" Good insurance helps! S.W. :-)
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 06-19-2008 02:38
I know it takes an extra guy, but we usually use two guys to move big stuff around on a site. I have found out that more than one or two pieces of equipment on a job at one time and nobody pays much attention to those backup alarms.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-19-2008 02:53
I would see if it could be purchased for cheap. The engine's worth something! :-) S.W.
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 06-19-2008 19:50
The local Miller tech is going to repair for $1150.00. Mostly all body work. It welds and aux power normally.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-19-2008 21:02
Can't beat that. Glad to hear it's not junk. Cool! S.W.

""Take an arm and a leg, arm and a leg.....It's a promise, not a threat." (Arm And A Leg, Keel, The Final Frontier LP)
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 07-25-2008 04:17
Just remember this, Its better to be safe a hundred times, than to die once!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Look before you back up. Please