Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pipeline welding in Texas?
- - By phaux (***) Date 05-31-2008 18:23
I'm looking to get into pipeline welding and want to start off as a helper. Does anyone know any companies in Texas currently hiring, or contacts? Googled it and didn't come with a whole lot of anything promising.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 06-01-2008 01:44
I again would like to point out there is no way to know where you live. Do you want to travel? Texas is a pretty big place. Out here in the Permian Basin there are pipelin companies all over the place. And please dont ask me to give you the names and numbers. Any public library should have access to phone directories from any of the oil and gas producing areas.
Dont know where these are, again, hit the library or google oil/gas producing counties in Texas. Dont just limit yourself to pipeline companies. Look under welding companies. Call them and ask for the welding foreman. If he is not hiring, ask if he knows anyone who is. Get a name and company and phone number if you can. Keep every name and number you can. When you get hired on call everyone who helped you and thank them.
BABRT's
Parent - - By phaux (***) Date 06-01-2008 02:51
Will do. I live in the Dallas/ Fort Worth area
Parent - By Billyjoe (***) Date 06-01-2008 03:35
there pipeline work all over texas ,just follow the oil rigs, there all over texas
Parent - - By okie boomer (*) Date 06-01-2008 04:17
It amazes me that people are having trouble finding work at this time and the techniques they are using in their job searches. In twenty years, which is probably a short time for this business, I have never got a job by googling or resumes. Call me old-fashioned but showing up and asking has always worked well for me and I have never run into a welder foreman with a computer in his truck. I realize this may be the wave of the future but my banker seems to think that some things just can't be googled. If you want to research for companies then the computer is a great tool. But if you want to go to work with a rig, your gonna have to beat the brush.
Parent - - By fordsux8269 (**) Date 06-01-2008 13:10
I also am just getting started but as soon as I get back from Pipeline school I will certainly be knocking on doors and calling. Not just googlin. I too am from Fort Worth, Tx
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 06-02-2008 01:52
Here is a hint. All those drilling rigs you see drillling for ntural gas around Ft Worth, north and south?
They have to be hooked up to a pipeline.
It takes a pipeline contractor to do that.
The pipelines go to compressor stations. Sometimes the pipeline contractor sets the compressors, sometimes it is mechanical contractors.
Then the gas goes to a plant to have the liquids stripped off.
By pipeline
When it gets to the gas plant there are all kinds of pipes, vessels and tanks which moves the gas/liquids around.
THe liquids are stored then pumped.
Down a pipeline.
The residue gas that is left over is sent either to mainline Xcountry or local distribution lines.
All pipeline
There is work out the wazoo. You can be given names and phone numbers, but nothing, and I mean nothing beats showing up with you hood, lunch, water can, gloves and hard hat. At the minimum, you can get hired out as a helper.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 06-02-2008 02:15
just got back about a week ago from Colorado but when I was first driving there I was on I think it was like if you go 35 N then take 380 West from Denton Texas and it wasn't to far down the road on 380 that I can rememberand seeing a nice pipeline looked maybe like a 24 inch pipe all layed out and I'm sure it was being welded somewhere but sure thought about turning around and trying to find work as a helper but I needed that vacation more then anything. Seen so many rig welders in the Ft. Worth area and leaving SHreveport seen lots of rig welders out on the road been thinking I need to start googling some pipeline contractors and just fine something around here.
Anyway just want to share that with yall if anyone is needed to find a pipeline for work
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-02-2008 11:31
While I am new to the area, and the last time I did work here it was structural, and I am unfamiliar with the company's around here, I know that I see alot going on around Denton, Decatur, and Ft. Worth. Lots of derricks, and pipe. 35E North to 380 West towards Decatur, as stated. FWIW

jrw159
Parent - - By phaux (***) Date 06-02-2008 22:06
Called about 5 places today and they all said they weren't hiring. I'll hop in my car tomorrow and head towards Denton and start hitting ppl up.
Parent - By texwelder (***) Date 06-03-2008 00:43
If your looking for pipe work you can try around the Buffalo, Franklin, and Jewitt area the gas wells are on 18 inch centers in that part of the state.
Parent - By psyco33 (**) Date 06-03-2008 11:54
Carthage TX with Willsbro was hiring. Also, you can travel up to Ness City KS  Jomax but it's not easy  CWI was not in the best of moods testing on a saturday.  but, you can put yourself on list for OK side  in a month they should be calling and testing. have a ok steam card.
also, Hawk in kigore,henderson area of TX  sometimes has rig work. 23 for single hand work  60 per diem either way. talk to Ryan Hawkins
Pumpco is working in Ft Worth area.
psyco33
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 06-03-2008 09:21 Edited 06-03-2008 09:32
there has been a royalty excised onto alberta oil withdrawals so in response a large portion of oil companies have gone to texas for a while to teach the alberta govt a lesson. there should be a lot of work already and coming up in the near future
bigk
i appreciate that you are always trying to keep it real for the forum and its readers.

i dont want my post removed again so i wont give the same speech as last time but, its like the discovery channel out there ladies and gents, there are predators and there is prey. decide which one you are and be it. if you are prey, it doesnt really do you any good to get a phone number and call up a predator, now does it.
darren
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-03-2008 13:55
Darren,
  Wow, what did I miss?  FWIW I have forward looking eye sockets, and I act as such.

PURE PREDATOR!!!

Prey items consist of bad welds, improper procedures, and unsafe conditions, just to name a few. And the root causes of said items as well.

Which means I am never at a loss for a meal. LOL :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 06-04-2008 01:18
this was not a reply to your post specifically,you are on top of your game i enjoy your posts and find them well thought out. im just supporting bigk's hardcore outlook on the pipe and high end job market. so many times guys ask for numbers and who to call and so on and so on. its like a guy in a car with a sling shot asking a seasoned hunter where to go and shoot an elk. for one to get the prize one must become a hunter themselves. So many guys have the "pipe dream" and rig up and never weld a pipe in the field. why because it takes a certain set of characteristics to succeed in such a competitive market such as high paying jobs. another analogy is a guy throwing a ball in the front yard with a friend asking  a pro pitcher who to call to get a job in the major leagues. those that who are going to succeed in the game are asking how to make themselves better and how to win and then the scouts call you. just my opinion.
there are lots of guys who have the skill and desire out there and i wish everybody the best in rising to whatever there dreams are. i just dont think that asking to be given a phone number compares to playing to win.
respectfully
darren
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-04-2008 02:17
Darren,
  Yeah I kind of figured it was not directed to me, I just got curious. Now I understand though.

If I am reading into this correctly, it goes something like this.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he eats everyday.

If you give a man a fish one day, and teach him to fish the next day, but he is hungry two weeks later, then **** him!

JMHO

John
Parent - - By pipeliner01 (**) Date 06-04-2008 02:28
well said Darren!!
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-04-2008 04:12
Can't agree any more Darren! You gotta put up the work & effort to get somewhere & I never had any trouble finding a "good" job when the market seemed to be flooded with "bad ones" & a lot of guys I knew were crying that they couldn't find anything decent. Rather than piss a bunch of time away asking for help if you really aren't willing to try to get it for yourself....Step up & make it happen!!!! I learned a LOT & got good jobs just putting the work & effort out there to make it happen. You don't GET if you don't GIVE! (100% of yourself) Totally get where you're coming from! Weld on!

"And do you feel scared?...I do....But I won't stop and falter...And if we threw it all away....Things can only get better."  (Things Can Only Get Better, Howard Jones, Dream Into Action LP)
Parent - By pipeliner04 (**) Date 06-05-2008 02:55
you might wannt make a correction about chase a drilling rig.  lots of guys in the permian basin know that man,,,thats junk iron,,,this man said pipeline. thanx
Parent - - By Billyjoe (***) Date 06-04-2008 23:32
son I hate to bust you bobble but it take more then pipe welding school to get work ,you need to hire out as a helper frist , to learn  the trade welding is an ART not a tex book ,
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-04-2008 23:43
Amen to that! :-) S.W.

" Carrie, I can't. Please don't hate me." (Berger to Carrie Bradshaw, via post it note, Sex and The City) BTW Yes, I am a HUGE fan. Not ashamed of it either! :-)
Parent - - By psyco33 (**) Date 06-05-2008 12:09
My wife loves that show. she just downloaded the movie to watch. Indiana Jones is a better movie.
psyco33
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-05-2008 12:13
The movie was fantastic. I couldn't stop laughing. Indy was good too. First one's still the best though!

"Snakes, why did it have to be snakes??" (Indiana Jones, Raiders Of The Lost Arc...get it? :-))
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pipeline welding in Texas?