Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Inline Oxy-AcetlyeneTorch Cart.
- - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-01-2008 16:55
Hi, all. Just wanted to know if anyone has any pics of a cart like this, or has made one. I'm sure someone has, but I always like to see what kind of stuff other people build. I made this about 4 years ago & was thinking about making one for a set of bigger tanks. I was really surprised how well it worked out, considering I had never built one like this before. Just thought I would ask around. Thanks! Steve.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 06-01-2008 17:49
Hello Steve, that's a really slick looking cart, very nicely done. Don't see too many of the inline carts, mostly side-by-sides and the ones I have seen certainly aren't as slick as yours. My hats off to you and your nicely designed unit. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-01-2008 18:39
Thanks Allen. That means a lot coming from you. I've read several of your posts & really enjoy how you put common sense into such meaningful terms. A lot of people just don't think about stuff & put it into words like that anymore. I have gotten a lot more than sales of equipment off this site. I said several times before that I didn't have time to post threads & get involved on a forum site, but I'm really glad I did with this one. Some great people here! Hopefully, I'll get some other responses to this. Not like I'm trying to toot my own horn, I just like to see things other fabricators & weldors build. Great way to meet new people too. BTW, don't mind my silly quotes & movie lines, I'm just goofy like that!  Thanks again, Allen!

"They will answer TO THE KING OF GONDOR!!! Put aside the Ranger, become the man you were born to be!"

(Lord Elrond to Aragorn: LOTR Return of The King)
Parent - - By thomasyyz (**) Date 06-01-2008 21:53
I like it, if you want a more critical response, read on.
I like to see protection for the valves if it tips over, I like a metal clamp to hold the bottles in place and a lift plate when hoisting from a crane.
How much clearance is there below the axis when you tilt, could be a problem on rough terrain.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-01-2008 22:15
There's about 10" or so clearance. I've had it in sand, mud, on rocks, in factories, over floor conduit, closed spaces, etc. Never got it stuck once. It has twice the clearance of any standard cart I've seen or currently own. It's pretty nice that you can go thru a 32" door with it. Try that with a standard Saf-T-Cart with those crap little rubber wheels & chinsey little chains on them. Yeah, I never put a lift eye on it, but I've lifted it with a crane a number of times with no problems. I'm going to fix that some day when I get around to it. Those tie straps hold like a vise & I've never had one come loose & I have them on my mobile rig as well, only a little thicker. That thing's been lifted 50 feet in the air, hauled around in trailers & on the backs of trucks, taken up & down stairs, lifted, dropped & never had a cylinder come loose. I will probably replace them with some better quality ones if those ever show any signs of wear.

Truthfully, it is really not any less protected than any standard cart, it has a very solid center of gravity. It tips back with one hand, but is solid on the ground because the base plate sits 100% flat. The hose reel compensates for the balance factor as well.  Besides, I put caps on the cylinders whenever I transport it anywhere anyways. Sure, you're not going to get everything perfect the first time around, (oh, I'm not a mechanical engineer either), but it suits the purpose very well for my small shop & some of the close quarters operations I've had it in. Thanks! S.W.

"Dammit, Jim, I'm just a doctor!" (Star Trek)
Parent - - By thomasyyz (**) Date 06-01-2008 22:36
its a nice cart but I don't see 10" clearance from a 12" wheel and a 4" kick plate, maybe 2" clearance :).
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-01-2008 22:44
Well, who's really keeping track anyways??? I guess I wasn't taking the whole kick plate /trans-wormhole theory into account! Better than anything I've seen around in the last 10 years of doing this. No one's told me they have a better idea, so I'm stickin' to it!  Smiley face. (I don't have those cool little icons) haha Thanks for the props! S.W.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-01-2008 22:54
Actual clearance is right around 5"+/- at it's lowest point on an aprox. 40 degree tilt backwards. Hey, I was halfway there....Got to get a cookie for trying!

"His father had betrayed, now his wings turned to ashes, to ashes his grave...Fly on your way, like an eagle, fly as high as the sun" (Flight of Icarus, Iron Maiden, Piece of mind LP)
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-02-2008 05:14
Steve, that is a real nice cart. The only inlines I have seen were much smaller, suposedly for manuverability, but the footprint on the floor was so small they could be tipped over easily. They didn't have the hose reel or fire extinguisher either.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-02-2008 11:35
Yeah. I could see how that could be the case. I've never seen another cart like it, that's why I put it up. The guy that posted before you didn't think I would get much floor clearance with the design, but I've had this thing in steel factories with huge plasma machines that had power running to them via large floor conduit & never got it hung up on anything. I just need to put a lift eye on it. That little cart's been in some real tight places & isn't all too heavy for two people to lift. It's been everywhere, man it's been everywhere!  I used to build a lot of carts for machines & have one for a plasma cutter with a hose reel underneath to hook up air without having to run aux. line to the machine. I tried to post pics, but I had some trouble with the upload. Appreciate the props, If anyone has any cool pics of something like it, please post them so I can see! Thanks, Steve
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-02-2008 11:34
sbcmweb,
  Try this for "smileys"  : - )  with no spaces in between characters. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-02-2008 11:36
I certainly will. I'm not super computer savvy & always wondered how you do that! BTW, I like reading your post, get a kick of of them sometimes! Thanks :-) S.W.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-02-2008 11:37
IT WORKED!!!!!:-) S.W.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-02-2008 11:55
Cool. Glad I could be of assistance. :-)

jrw159

BTW-Nice cart. I am already thinking of ways to infringe on your design. LOL
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-02-2008 12:14
Go for it! :-) The only reason I put it up was to see what other guys have done, or could possibly benefit from something like that. It could never really be marketed with any real success because no one would want to pay what I have in materials alone in it. Those Saf-T-Carts are already expensive enough & not really super robust in construction. I used to build stuff like this all the time, buy self employment & a 6 yr old pretty well eats up most my time now. I have a plasma cutter cart I'll post here soon too. Can't get the pics I have of it to load. Thanks!! S.W.

"Please let us at them, goes the barrack room cry, I'm glad I'm not going, I'm not dying to die." (Method To Your Madness, Metal Church, The Dark LP)
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-02-2008 12:24
I can not wait to see the plasma cart. :-)

jrw159
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Inline Oxy-AcetlyeneTorch Cart.