Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / EYE PROTECTION AROUND WELDING & CUTTING
- - By Michel Lecuyer Date 07-12-2001 16:23
Hi, I am an Occupational Health Nurse in a manufacturing environment and new to this bulletin board and actually found my way here in hopes of finding the answers to my questions. I apologize if I am a bit too long winded here and realize that you may have addressed these questions in the past:
1. When performing hot work in our mill I have noticed that the person(s) doing the fire watch never wear protective lenses while cutting or welding activities are going on. This especially bothers me when the welding operator doesn't use a light curtain. When I have approached the person doing fire watch about the need to wear the appropriate eye protection they always tell me that they are not at risk because they know better not to look directly at the hot work or that they done this job for many years,never wore eye protection before, and never suffered any problems . This really bothers me, especially when we are trying to develope a positive safety culture in our mills. I am curious to what are the standard practices for filtered eye protection for the fire watch at other mills or simular operations? What are the risks?
2. Occassionly there is welding or cutting activity where it is impractical to use a light curtain. What are the risks associated with corneal burns or retinal damage for those workers that are in the immediate area not wearing filtered protective lenses? And what is considered a safe distance away from the welding/cutting when eye protection wouldn't be required. I am being told that the further away you are from the source the safer you are. I know this is true for radiation sources but does the same theory apply here?
3. Does anyone know of any reference documents pertaining to these questions? I know that our engineering folks and fire watch will push back if they are told that they need to wear filtered protective lenses.
I'd appreciate any help one may have to offer.
Parent - By kmcquait (*) Date 07-19-2001 01:26
Firewatches can wear a no. 2 shaded lense. This will offer the desired UV protection, and still allow the firewatch to perform his primary task.

Any darker, he can't.

AWS has a variety of books regarding safety and health affects. If you send me your e-mail address, i will send you 2 pages that i scanned from an old catalog.

weldinspections@yahoo.com
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / EYE PROTECTION AROUND WELDING & CUTTING