Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Aluminum Porosity 6061
- - By caalfi3 Date 06-02-2008 15:17
I have a problem, I'm doing a Aluminum TIG welding on tubing for aerospace application and we couldn't pass X-Ray inspection due to the porosity, base material 6061 and filler rod 4053, we tried already many thinks (change Tungsten, improve cleaning method, change setting machine, etc, etc.)
Does any one know what is the best way to pass X-Ray inspection on Aluminum?
Thanks a lot.
Parent - By caalfi3 Date 06-02-2008 15:20
Sorry, the correct filler wire is 4043.
thanks,
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 06-02-2008 17:01
It would help us to help you if we knew the following:

Are you following your WPS?

What is your cleaning process?

We use an aqueous degreaser followed by a clean stainless steel wire brushing to remove the oxide layer, then MEK or iso alcohol, then another round with the wire brush just prior to striking the arc.  Make sure all surfaces are smooth!  Also, wiping the filler down with MEK or alcohol or acetone might help some. 

What current are you using?

In my experience I have found AC to work the best.  Others like the smooth run of DCEN.

What gas are you using?

I have had better luck with argon than with anything else.  In my opinion, exotic mixes are a waste of my money. 

Are you back-gassing the weld?

If not, then you're setting yourself up for failure, especially if you're making class A welds to D17.1.  The backside will melt through and absorb contaminants and moisture from the surrounding air, causing porosity to form.

There is also the consideration of you, the welder, and your abilities.  Have you had experience welding aluminum before?  Have you welded tubing before?  If you're new to either one, it could take some time to learn.  Try running out your WPS on sheet, first to make sure your cleaning methods work well.  Cut each weld open to see where and how much porosity occurs.  If it's on the edges of the joint, then you're likely not cleaning enough or with the wrong materials.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
Parent - - By caalfi3 Date 06-02-2008 17:35
Hi Curt,
  We are using etching solution (Sodium Hydroxide at 110ºF) as a cleaning process by our Customer Spec. then wiping with acetone the entire welding surface. I need to try the stainless steel wire brushing to remove the oxide layer.....!!!
Our current is AC and we are using pure Argon (99.9996%) and we are back-gassing the weld but with very low flow rate (5-10 cfh)

You are right, we don't have too much experience welding aluminum, and I'm working very closely with the welder to improve his abilities.

What a bout the humidity..??
Do you think that the pre-heat can help to dissolve the moisture on the parts if the environment humidity is to high..?

Thanks a lot for you feedback,
Carlos
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 06-02-2008 18:50
Here ya go man.. Read this thread and you will learn a lot about how to pass an aluminum x ray tube.  http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=96382;hl=aluminum%20porosity    I think I found out that my problem was that there was still a substance on the joint after the acid cleaning and alcohol removal.  I found that a good stainless brushing right before the weld gets everything off and the penn comes through nice and shiny with no purge.  I go to the lab 2marra to find out if I solved the porosity problem.  Stay tuned.
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 06-02-2008 18:59 Edited 06-02-2008 19:06
We had lots of trouble passing D17.1 X-ray weldor quals on aluminum sheet.  The oxide always killed us.  It would float to the centerline of the weld (on the surface) and show up on the X-ray as a "linear" indication.  I sectioned every one through the "linear" and never ever saw a single crack using 40X.  In some cases, the only way we could pass the weldor qual was to use full DCRP and wreck the electrode point.  Of course, our production parts were not welded that way, but they were not x-ray'd either.  We went the whole route with stainless brushing, acetone, backing gas, wiping the filler wire, etc.  etc.. etc...I suppose if it was a procedure qual, and not a weldor qual, our hands would have been tied.  The only thing we can do on our production parts is play with the %DCRP on the square wave power supply.
Parent - - By aerowelder (*) Date 06-02-2008 19:09
Check out the post about argon purity posted two weeks ago. It solved our proplem with porosity.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-02-2008 19:38
2 cents here.
Sodium hydroxide?
What happens of you dont' get it all?
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 06-02-2008 20:31
I know I know..  Porosity happens.;-)
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-02-2008 21:10
Thats what I would guess, though I've never used sodium hydroxide before for cleaning. But I can read.
If its there wouldn't it dissociate?
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 06-03-2008 16:43
We have just completed procedure qualifications on 3/16" sheet with GMAW.  .045" wire, DCEP, Argon, 2G and 3G up runs, no backing or purge, CJP to D1.2 spec.  Got the tensiles back yesterday (28ksi - 32ksi).  Acceptable porosity.  Not even a hint of a break in the bend straps.  And with the humidity here in South Tejas, too.  So no, I very much doubt humidity has much to with it in this case.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 06-03-2008 17:11
What's your secret to CJP GMAW 3g weld with .045 wire and no backing.  That my friend is one tuff seam that kicked guys arses from all over the world.  Are you back gouging or are you doing it all from one side?  Are you pulsing?  We had to do it on 1/2" plate and never did come up with a consistent procedure.  They finally scrapped that seam in the contest and everyone was happy.
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 06-04-2008 16:44
All from one side.  No back gouge.  CP302 with cobramatic push/pull feeders.  I have 4 guys qualified at 2G and 1 at 3G.  Secret?  It turned out to be nothing more complicated than manipulation.  Once we figured it out it got very easy.  Virtually no stickout with a very slight forehand and no whip.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 06-04-2008 19:32
Are You butting it straight up with no gap? and some sort of J bevel or similar?
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 06-05-2008 16:34
Leave about a .030" root opening.  1/8" depth of preparation.  Speed of travel and torch angle are everything.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-05-2008 17:05
So it's a V groove with a 1/16 root face?

I'm also going to qualify some GMAW aluminum procedures in the fall...

I'm hanging on every word of this thread.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 06-05-2008 17:21 Edited 06-05-2008 17:26
[EDIT]  never mind I saw that you said your using a cobramatic feeder.  You can't pulse with the new ones right?
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 06-06-2008 16:42
Depends on how fast you pull the trigger :)

V-groove, 1/16" root face.  60 deg. included angle.  I'll post a few photos later on.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 06-06-2008 18:52
aerospace+tube + d17.1+ Aluminum   hmmmmm

That brings to mind that BI*^&chy little 1/2" .035 6g.   Cleanliness is EVERYTHING.   And its small you want to stop/pause whatever and reset your hands/rod whatever.....well don't........ practice your torch movement for both sides dry and when you start you got to move ....move ,,,,,move.   If you hesitate and don't add filler and move on...you get ...wait for it.....porosity.  A lot of guys seem to hate that one for some reason.........
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 06-10-2008 14:22
What bend radius where those bend straps bent to?  What kind of material where you testing with?  Did you anneal your bend straps before bending?
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 06-10-2008 16:35
2-1/16", not annealed.  6061-T6 (as welded).
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Aluminum Porosity 6061