Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Canadian CWB vs AWS
- - By eekpod (****) Date 06-03-2008 11:53
Question, let's say I want to sub out some work to a canadian certified company.  Is there program compatible with AWS.
Specifically is a CWB certified welder the same as an AWS certified welder?

If the customer requires the shop to have AWS certifed welders does that mean an CWB welder won't be covered??

Thanks Chris
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 06-03-2008 22:59
Chris:
This question is quite complicated and probably is made even more complicated by the fact that the CWB only recently merged (2008) with the CWA, which is really the Canadian equivalent to the AWS.

Here is a thread that explains some of the differences between Canadian systems and AWS certs., and if you visit the web sites of CWA and CWB, there is information on structural welding agreements that have been reached with some states and cities in the US.

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=33469;hl=

This doesn't help much, but it may take a bit of research to get your answer!
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 06-04-2008 10:14
Thank you Northwelder, I'll look into this somemore.      Chris
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 06-04-2008 12:49
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 06-04-2008 17:03
Thank You, that's more what I was looking for.  I appreciate your help.  It sounds like Canada has a very nice program in place.   Chris
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 06-04-2008 18:37
Northwelder,
What can you tell me about the relationship between the CWA and the CWB??

I see where the Canadian Welding Bureau (CWB) is the tesing agency and certifying organisation, but what does the Canadian Welding Agancy do?
I also see where thet just had a vote and decided by like 89.9% to merge the CWA and the CWB together.

Thanks Chris
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 06-04-2008 22:07 Edited 06-04-2008 22:20
Chris:
Part of the confusion arises from the fact that each of the provinces has its own welding apprenticeship and certification board run by the provincial government. The provinces also had agreements to accept each others certifcation after completion of an inter-provincial written exam (completed after you attained "Journeyman" status - in Alberta, 3 yrs experience apprenticed to a journeyman, including 6 wks. of school and testing in each year). I am not really familiar with the histories of the Canadian Welding Association and the Canadian Welding Bureau, but I suspect both arose as a result of the need for international standards as trade expanded during and after WW II. The CWA is structured more like the AWS with chapters across the country and its own welding journal, while the CWB was operating various private training and testing facilities and providing services to corporations that required international qualification, in addition and in conjunction with provincial educational and testing facilities. It never made any sense, to me, to have the two organzations separate, as it worked against developing common national standards. For instance, a provincially certified Alberta journeyman might work his entire career without ever obtainiing CWB certification, until he had to obtain some part or test for it, as a result of a company requirement. Also, a CWB certified weldor might be required to take extra education or testing before working in Alberta or other provinces. So, it does seem sensible that they are finally merging.
However, the above only makes your problem more difficult. I wonder if you could contact someone in AWS administration who is responsible for international liason or for translating AWS standards for foreign use by weld inspectors? (Maybe whoever is in charge of this program?) http://www.aws.org/w/a/certification/reciprocity.html
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 06-05-2008 10:27 Edited 06-05-2008 18:26
Thank you very much for all your time and information. 
Being a typical American I'm not familier on how other countries run their operations.  Your description clearly defined the differences of the CWA and CWB.  Additionally I sent an e-mail to the CWA and I got a couple of good documents from them that backs up what you said.
I should be ok from here.
Thanks again,  Chris
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Canadian CWB vs AWS