Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Stainless steel pipe
- - By Tnwelder (**) Date 06-03-2008 23:40
Anyone out there have any good stainless pipe pics possibly of the root and cover. The reason i ask is im trying to get certified on stainless pipe and i am using black mamy i need to purge it but dont have the time. Please give some tips or some pics or both. Thanks
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 06-04-2008 00:39
what the hell is black mamy?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-04-2008 01:47
I hope it isn't contagious!

Al
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 06-04-2008 04:13
I believe the mystery word is 'maybe'.  In any case it sounds like a small shop employer's mantra 'I don't have time'. Not a problem. Run the root with SMAW covered electrode. It's easy after a couple hundred tries.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 06-04-2008 12:39
Couple hundred tries huh?  What's your secret.:-) How about a few years and a couple hundred tries, I was thinking more along the lines of using time as a measurement for this application since no one has time anymore.;-)

I did see some pics in one of the journals of a new hi si stainless wire that didn't require a purge.  That was a few years ago though so I'd never find it.  They also have some new rod with a flux on it that they are using in those ethanol plants.  I heard it's a real bugger to get one to shoot clear though using that flux rod.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-04-2008 11:45
Mrs. Butterworth?  LOL :-)
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-04-2008 20:29
Please, explain that one. :-)???? Steve.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-04-2008 20:35
Steve,
  We are trying to figure out what the original poster means by "black mamy" and I really have no clue what they were refering to. My best guess was Mrs. Butterworths. While I know many colored mothers, she would have to be the most famous one to come to my mind right off the bat. :-)

BTW- Let me clarify that I am by no means prejudice, and this was in no way meant as a racial shot. And if construed as such, my sincere appologies.

John
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-04-2008 21:34
No clarification on that one! I get it now. You're way to respectable of a guy to take something like that said by you in a bigoted way! Aunt Jemima was always a favorite of mine. Good 'cakes! Truthfully, I didn't know if Mrs. Butterworth had a racial nationality. I always seen her as a brown bottle of syrup, but with more Caucasian features & female voice. At least I always pictured her that way. :-)

I got to agree with the earlier post "Black Mamy" sounds like a disease, or perhaps a venomous snake of some kind. who knows? Sounds cool though! S.W.
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 06-04-2008 20:09
an old robert johnson song?
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-04-2008 22:45
black mamy. bobejn. dragon twins (1). dragon twins (2). dragon twins. elegant zombie (1). elegant zombie (2). elegant zombie (3). elegant zombie (4) ... WELL..........DIDN'T SEE ANY MORE ABOUT WELDING OTHER THAT THE ROUTE TO THE ORIGINAL POST. STILL THINK IT'S A DISEASE. Who can know???????

"Oh black beauties, slam 'em down. Oh black beauties, slam 'em down. Gonna get real high, gonna get real loud..." (My custom modification of the song "Black Betty") :-)
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-04-2008 23:14
Yeah, "Black Betty" was my second guess. LOL :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 06-04-2008 23:50
Man I thought it was something you put on you roof to stop it from leaking when it rained.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-04-2008 23:56
My third guess, snake bite salve. :-)

Rough crowd in here. Can we turn the heat down? :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By Tnwelder (**) Date 06-07-2008 02:23 Edited 06-07-2008 02:28
A paste that you put on the inside of the pipe so you dont have purge the pipe so it does not sugar.  That is just what i have heard it called sorry for the confusion guys hope you are not mad.  But that is the only word i have heard it called. Thanks for the crazy post.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-07-2008 03:03
No, thank you for the learning experiance.  If you can, please elaborate some on this paste.

It started out kind of crazy, but as sometimes happens, it is starting to come together.

jrw159
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 06-07-2008 03:37
Hello John, it is likely that this paste is a product called "Solar Flux", it is a powder that is mixed with alcohol and then applied to the inside of a weld joint to form a protective barrier from the atmosphere in lieu of using an argon purge, it does have it's limitations though and isn't generally used for critical welds. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-07-2008 04:21
Allan,
  Thank you for that info. I kind of feel like I am pulling my foot out of my mouth. I have never heard of the term "black mamy" and I do remember brief flickering parts from the past about "Solar Flux" paste as you describe it, but never had experiance with it.

Thanks for rekindling old memories and confirming my belief that one learns something new everyday,whether you want to or not.

Sorry for the crappy spelling. Its been a long Friday and Saturday is not far away.

John
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 06-07-2008 15:27
do they call it black mamy because of the way the weld turns out? :-)
Parent - By Tnwelder (**) Date 06-08-2008 22:37
No that is just what everyone around here calls it. You have to wait about 30 minutes after you weld the root in a stainless pipe to let the paste melt off and it looks like you purged the pipe.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Stainless steel pipe