Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / miller pipe pro 300
- - By okie boomer (*) Date 06-04-2008 00:34
thinking about geting one to replace sa 200 i had good luck with lincoln all this time and a little nervous about changing but I have been trying out a demo and welds great would like to have a little feedback from other pipeliners on pros and cons thanks
Parent - - By weaver (***) Date 06-04-2008 01:52
i assuming you mean the pipepro 304,  i run one  up here in ND  works great, cons- 3 months ago the mother board went to crap, still under warrany so that was cool they gave me a demo 2007 200d and i was glad to get my pipepro back maybe that helps ....   shannon
Parent - - By okie boomer (*) Date 06-04-2008 02:06
thanks  wonder if all the gadgets on it will hold up going cross country sure looks like a elect. nightmare  an yes its a 304 welds great but blue is sure hard to like for me but some times change is good on the other hand thats wat my wife said right be for she filed for the big d     got more money now than ever
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-04-2008 03:23
I was just talking to a guy that has a trailblazer 350 pro & so far....No issues & great performance. He's not putting the juice to her on a pipeline all day though. Bad side, that machine takes a crap.... Inverter nightmare....Master service tech level electronics & BIG bucks to fix. Forget changing a diode or a resistor! I've had (and repaired) several Miller inverter machines & from my experience with them... I frankly don't trust anything that complexly designed out in the field 80+ a week, balls out. I love the SA 200, I just like the juice for CAC & 200-300 amps just don't do it. The SAM 400's are cool, but all gas driven as far as I've seen. And BIG! That 6 cyl Big Connie sucks the fuel too.  Don't know Lincoln too well though. May have diesel 400 amp TRUE generators out there. (I mean a pure DC machine) If you have been using the Lincoln machine for years with no issues, I would stick to what works. Even though I'm a Blue guy, Lincoln perfected the SMAW arc with the DC generators they built for so long & so well. I really believe that Moses came down from the mountain with the plans for the SA 200 & formula for 6010 5p written in the ledger notes of the stone tablets. :-) If you don't need to CAC, or wire weld......SA 200 ANY day!!! Just my feeble thoughts on it. From a Blue guy perspective anyways. Good luck, whichever way you decide to go. S.W.

"I wonder, will she find out....'Bout the other....Other lover?.....Diana." (Wake Up Dead, Megadeth, Peace sells...But Who's Buying? LP)
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 06-04-2008 04:22
I believe there is a Pipe Pro 304 (diesel gen with a model 304 inverter on the front) and also a Pro 300. The Pro 300 now offers a 4 cyl Deush if I'm not mistaken. It's supposedly quiet and fuel efficient and capable at altitude which gets my attention. That said, I think I'd buy a Lincoln because I KNOW what it will do when I'm burning an important root for an important client.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-04-2008 04:38
I think I'll agree with you on the Lincoln. As long as we're talking pure DC, older, nothing new. Miller bought inverter technology from Powcon in the very early '90's & has since build greatly upon it. BUT....An inverter is still an inverter. Great 'till it takes a crap. I would put all my eggs in one basket with a 40 yr Lincoln on the road before putting unconditional faith in an inverter machine with a minimum significant repair cost of around $1000+++ That's coming from a Blue guy here! S.W.

""Sometimes you don't realize just how deep you're in something....Until you find you can't get out of it" (Dan Wilkes to Tim McClellan, True Identities-Not Far From Nowhere, Book One)
Parent - - By Stephen32 (*) Date 06-04-2008 17:50
My fist machine was a SA200. It finally gave up the ghost to the front and rear main seal gods. Got tired of all the oil slobbering and sold it. I now run a Miller Pro 300. It will do anything as good or better than any Lincoln that I have ever ran. It has the 3cyl. CAT engine. It also has only 1500 hrs. and had no trouble so far. Only time will tell. I am a die hard Gray man, but blue has started to bleed through.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-04-2008 17:56
They are very good machines, I just wince a little any time I turn an inverter machine on. It can go either way, I just like the good 'ol trans/rectifiers. When those inverters go, they're usually gone. Or a huge expense to fix! :-) S.W.

"Ohh Mr. Miracle, you saved me from some pain...I thank you Mr. Miracle, I won't get trashed again.' (Trashed, Black Sabbath, Born Again LP)
Parent - - By Stephen32 (*) Date 06-04-2008 18:25
I agree with you. I keep waiting for disaster to strike. But I have had much better luck with mine that my buddies have with the Vantage 300. You still can not beat a good running SA200.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-04-2008 18:47
Amen! :-) S.W.
Parent - - By pipeliner04 (**) Date 06-05-2008 04:24
i just dont get it okie boomer.  your failing to answer your own question..IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT.  your old SA 200 strikes up at a slow 20 hertz.  the new invertor machine pipe pro 304, strikes up hot at 50HZ.  just like all them little miller machines,,,thatll for sure blow your walls down on that bead,,,especially the top quarter.  My buddy uses both a 200 and a 304.  he pipelines half a year in new mexico and uses his 304 for his refinery work.  he welds chrome incanel and aluminum with his pipe pro,,,respecfully so.  his only complaints with the pipe pro are 1. its blue. 2, when he runs beads with 5p,,for some reason that machine will lock up on a jam up instead of push through like a 200.  also,,the welder repair man said the worst engine to get with any of these new machines is that deutz motor your talking about.  he works on those more than anything.  they make a pipe-pro 304 with a 3cyl kubota,,id look into that if your really wanted one
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-05-2008 05:19
pipeliner04 - You posted that an SA200 "strikes up at 20 Hz". Can You explane this to Me?
Parent - - By pipeliner04 (**) Date 06-05-2008 05:31
the welder rapair guy here in odessa, some of you may know him some of you may not, Chris's Welder repair expalined to me why when you fire up with a lincoln ranger or miller bobcat/trailblazer theyre so hott.  i dont now much about hz and electricity as far as thats concerned but when you first strike an arc with one of the above machines it makes sense.  im guessing (speaking in terms of using them) that 20hz of electricity is colder than 50hz.  you know on an old 200 when you strike arc to idle up and then burn a rod it stays the same heat the whole way down the pipe.  well what i noticed on the ranger i used that about the first 2 inches of every rod i burnt was hotter than the rest of the rod.  im thinking that that inverter stores energy somehow and releases that extra energy at first.  im not real sure but the way he explained it to me it made perfect sense. if anyone else can clarify this a little better for the both of us we'd appreciate it.but i hope what i said was helpful
Parent - - By Stephen32 (*) Date 06-05-2008 11:56
Pipeliner are you from Odessa? I grew up south of there and did some contract work there a couple of years ago. Chris's is one of the best welder repairshops I have ever been to.
Parent - By pipeliner04 (**) Date 06-05-2008 14:33
yea im from midland actually but yea chris is in odessa
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-06-2008 03:28
    Pipeliner04: Hz in electricity refers to the frequency of an alternating current [AC] cycle, or how many cycles there are per second. This term is inapropriate when discussing direct current [DC].

A rod burning hotter in the beginning is often due to increasing electrical  resistance as something heats up as You weld. With the control circutry in those new fangled machines there could be other reasons as well, and I won't hazard a guess as to what might be happening.

The guy may have given You a believable reason, but His description was technically incorect.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-05-2008 12:09
Just to add on the Deutz, knew a guy with a new Miller Du-Op. Had a terrible time with the Deutz engine in it. Had idle problems, then it wouldn't start well after it got warm. He got it repaired under warranty & while I was working for him, we did CAC with 3/8" carbons @500 amps all day long with out a hitch. I still don't trust those pesky inverters though! One serious out of warranty electronic repair could be near the cost of a entry level used SA 200 (Maybe real used, but still...) Miller doesn't repair boards, they just replace them. Gets real expensive that way.

Just a heads up for folks with machines out of warranty. Industrial Electronics in Gastoina, NC repairs boards of nearly all makes for 1/3 of new & guarantees them for 90 days. Nice people.

Toll Free:   1-800 898-3088
                (704) 829-9910
                (704) 829-9940

Just thought I would pass that along. They have been good to me. S.W.        
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / miller pipe pro 300