Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / 12 on 12 branch test 6g downhill root ,downhill everything
- - By weaver (***) Date 06-05-2008 02:17
i got called to take a 12' branch test which i've never taken. 5p1/8 root 70101/8 out , never welded with 7010 and suggestions would be much appreciated ..thanks
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 06-06-2008 01:19
You are NOT going to weld out a 12 on 12 branch with 1/8 rods.
Not that it cant be done. It would take 4 days!
If this is a pipeline test they will want you to use 3/16 for the filler and cap. I have never tested a welder on a 12 on 12 branch where they used a 1/8 for the bead.
Do a search as there are a bunch of threads on the forum for this.
BABRT's
Parent - - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 06-08-2008 03:43
well i have used 1/8" rod for my bead on my branch and didn't get yelled at i just gapped it small and ran it hot ,if u got a good fit u can get away with that. Now he is right about the filler and cap though, u will need to use alot bigger rod than 1/8". Most inspectors will bust u if u take 2 long and brother u will take way 2 long with 1/8". 5/32" for hot pass atleast and 3/16" for yur filler and cap. Some make u weld it all out and some don't just my 2 cents bout all its worth
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 06-08-2008 22:24
Every welder I have seen tack up with a 1/8 will wind up pulling it tight somewhere then have be SOl because it is too tight. I tell them at the CTJ meeting before the test no 1/8 rods on the bead on the 5G or the branch.
BABRT's
Parent - - By uawelder344 Date 06-22-2008 15:17
Some welding inspectors are not welders, The person how wrote the welding procedure definitly as not a welder, It don't hurt to try. you might have a real welding inspector that will no make you follow the procedure that close. rod size,Volts,Amps are not a Essential Variable. As we all know there are a few nonwelders as inspectors, those are the one that will give you a hard time.

I have mad a 5g and a 12on12 test with 1/8 rod all the way out. yes it takes time. as long as you stay working and not mess a round you will stay in the time fram alowed on the procedure.

Steven
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 06-22-2008 21:26
Lets see. A "REAL" welding inspector realizes as the welder, you know so much more than he does, and he bows to your knowledge and experience.

By ataining this high level of experience and being a virtual fount of welding knowledge, you, as the welder, do not need to follow the procedure "too close" as you, the god and holder of the golden arm award which is given to only the true welders know soo much more than he does and the silly ole procedure was written by some sissy somewhere who could is not qualified to hand you, the god and golden arm, your 1/8 inch welding rods as you cap a 12 on 12 standard wall branch.

After all a "REAL"welder can put down as many inches of weld with a 1/8 as a 3/16. After all those pesky little calculations of rod diposition is just more irrelevant information issued by the unknowing to the true masters of all things welding.

You spent the night in a Holiday Inn Express which imparts to you the welder the determination of which parts of the procedure need to be followed and you had the powers to determine which of these are really essential, usefull and needed.
BABRT's
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 06-24-2008 05:35
ah cmon - you can do a bead w/1/8"

Weave er back and forth and go fast on hy heat..........you done it, I know you have Kahunna!
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 06-24-2008 22:21
Not capping a branch test!
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 06-23-2008 02:22 Edited 06-23-2008 02:26
uawelder,
Just wondering if at the facility where you are sr. inspector, do you encourage the welders to not follow proceedure and to weld with what ever process and filler metal they so desire? If this is so, I would like to apply for a job there. Sounds like the ultimate inspector's GIG ever...or as I see it, there is nothing to do...if hired, do I even have to show up since inspection is not necessary???
I must be up front though, I AM A WELDER and I AM A REAL INSPECTOR (I have written a couple of proceedures) so does this disqualify me from the rigid prerequisites of inspector at your non-quality facility? If not, however, I will lower myself and would consider a welding position for you since I can do it any way I please and since you're such a REAL inspector you aint gonna make me follow no rules.
I assume, your foreman follows the same philosophy concerning production and I will also be given the lattitude to weld whenever I so desire....
Better yet, hire me for both jobs, I can sure use the easy money.
Thanks for this remakable opportunity and please just send me my paychecks direct deposit.... C/O BANK of JOHN account #OU812
Parent - - By uawelder344 Date 06-23-2008 18:29
I never said the welder could weld any way or with any process. What i said was there are procedures out there, where the ranges are to tightand the rod diamiter is to small. the procedure was not wrote to acomidate the isues we face ever day. Volts,Amps are not assential Variables when you are working with API1104 19th edition.  i'm not the god or golden arm. Nobody knows everthing. I do not encourage the welder not to follow the procedure. I want Quality and if a welders give me a quality weld and he is alittle out of the noessential Veriables, then that tells me the the person that wrote the procedure did not think of anyother welders exept the one that proved the procedure.
The hole thing is when you have a person that has not every took a welding test, or welded on a job. He/she should not be a welding inspector. Just becuse you can read a book, does not make you a inspector.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 06-23-2008 18:39
The hole thing is when you have a person that has not every took a welding test, or welded on a job. He/she should not be a welding inspector. Just becuse you can read a book, does not make you a inspector.

more words of wisdom.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 06-24-2008 02:13 Edited 06-24-2008 02:16
[deleted]
Parent - - By uawelder344 Date 06-24-2008 23:37 Edited 06-24-2008 23:50
The form was on taking 12" branch with 1/8 rods. I will asume that the procedure is for 1/8th rod. Ever welder weld diffrent and the welding machines are aslo all diffrent. The procedure should alow for that.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 06-25-2008 22:41
[deleted]
Parent - - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 06-28-2008 19:06
I did my bead with the rods provided by the inspector. Witch were 1/8" 5P+bead and 5/32"hyp. filler w/3/16"hyp. for the cap on both bellhole and branch .250 wall pipe. I know all weld test are not even close to the same for all contractors that was just the most recent test i took.
Parent - By spgtti (**) Date 07-01-2008 00:15
  Colonial Pipeline Co.'s  "gold card" welding marathon test requires the use of 1/8" 6010 and a 1/8" 7018 fill and cap on one of the 2 branches (not that our hawaiian friend has ever been wrong).
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / 12 on 12 branch test 6g downhill root ,downhill everything