Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder Performance Qualification
- - By weld7320 (*) Date 06-05-2008 12:34
We have been using A514 to test our welders for years at our company.  I believe this was based on the thought that this material constituted the highest grade they would be welding.  On a yearly audit by one of the DOT's we do work for, the auditor mentioned this was unnecessary.  He said we are testing the welder to a position and not the materials (which already have PQR's).  Does this mean we do not have to have separate weld tests for more exotic mild steels (particularily Domex HR H100) since we have a PQR for this material and the welders are already qualified to the position they will be welding it?
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 06-05-2008 12:43
If I were in your shoes, I'd keep doing what you've been doing.  Not exactly sure what DOT requires but almost all codes require some separate testing for welders performance based on alloy.  Some, like ASME permit a fairly wide range, others like D1-series are more restrictive.
Parent - - By weld7320 (*) Date 06-05-2008 13:11
Thanks jon.  I should clarify that this Domex material will not be used in DOT work, the welding is to D1.1.  I can't find anything about material requirements pertaining to performance test, can you guide me on this?  Does this mean welder qualification has to be done separately with ex. T1, A36, A572, etc.?  Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-05-2008 13:21
Welder Performance does not have "materials" listed as an essential varibale that requires retesting.
-See AWS D1.1:2006 Table 4.12(page 150) "Welding Personnel Performance Essential Variable Changes Requiring Requalification"...also see paragraph 4.22
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-05-2008 13:24
Not sure what highest grade actually means. What you need to do is actually change the way you think about welder qualification as pertains to codes. Take a look at the code you are qualifying your welders to. Try and understand why things are written the way they are. The basic philosophy is that those alloys which do not demonstrate an appreciable difference in welding charateristics are grouped together.
Sometimes, in my opinion, they are wrong, but in general its a good system.
And keep in mind, what you are trying to determine is welder skill (though I know some of the essential variables for performance quals look more like procedure variables-especially with AWS). However, the reasons for the requirements in the codes for welder qualification are not the same reasons for the requirements for procedure qualification, though in many instances they overlap, again, especially with AWS.
Parent - - By weld7320 (*) Date 06-05-2008 16:12
js55 - to tell you the truth, I'm not sure what they were thinking (before I arrived) why they went with "highest grade".  We have since made some changes.

Thanks for all the input.  Helps a lot.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 06-05-2008 17:18
If you're testing to D1.1 then use some cheap ol A36 to test your welders or something cheaper.  They are not really restricted to very much at all in the essential variables as far as consumables and parameters.
Parent - By cong nguyen (**) Date 06-07-2008 09:29
Hi Weld7320...
About your question I would like to brief answer like that:
- You are working for AWS standard then you don't need to requalified your welders for any new material which may used in new project...
Parent - - By v.muruganandam Date 06-12-2008 18:40
HAI WELD 7320,
GOOD DEBATE ON WELDER QUALIFYING TEST. I AM NEW MEMBER. BELONG TO TAMIL NADU, SOUTH INDIA, WE DO CONDUCT INHOUSE TEST IN OUR COMPANY TO QUALIFY WELDERS AND UPGRADE THEIR SKILLS. DO YOU HAVE ANY LATEST PROCEDURES TO QUALIFY WELDERS? IF SO, CAN I GET THOSE?
Parent - By weld7320 (*) Date 06-13-2008 17:33
Welcome, v.muruganandam.  Unfortunately, we are not allowed at my company to distribute our weld records outside of the company.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-13-2008 19:47
One way to get informed on the "latest procedures" would be to purshase a copy of
AWS G2.4 2007 Guide for the Fusion Welding of Titanium Alloys.

and

AWS D1.9 2007 Structural Welding Code-- Titanium

Both are hot off the press... Both are 1st editions
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 06-12-2008 19:17
If you are welding to AWS D1.1, then any grade covered by the code used in testing, will cover any other grade.  Notice that base metal is not an essential variable in table 4.12 (2006 edition).  The commentary C-4.18 has some comments on familiarizing welders who weld on Q&T steels such as A514, but tesing is not a requirement.  However, if you are welding to AWS D1.5, then any material you weld that has a minimum specified yield strength of 90ksi or over, qualification is requried on that specific grade.  See D1.5 paragraph 5.24.1.1.
Parent - By weld7320 (*) Date 06-13-2008 17:42
GRoberts, thanks. None of the bridge work we do requires 90ksi, we're more of a components fabricator.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder Performance Qualification