Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / CHECK THIS CRAP OUT!!!!!!!
- - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-05-2008 16:14
Here's a message I just received. I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but I'm not this dumb! Pass it along. S.W.
*************************************************************************************
Hi steve,
How are you? I hope you are doing pretty well. I am Mark a 35 years old welder from Arkansas. I have been a member of the American Welding Society for 5 years now, since I started welding.

Actually I have been in the UK (United Kingdom) for the past 10 days now. This is because I was made to understand that I have secured a Job contract to work for an Oil servicing firm for a year here in UK with a big pay of 100,000 pounds annually. I applied for this Job contract in May and since then have been in constant communication with the people. After sometime they informed me that i have secured the job and will need to come to UK to finish every paper work with regards to the contract before i can start the job.They sent me an invitation which i used to get Visa at the Embassy. When i got here,i was picked up at the airport by three guys and checked me into a hotel. the next day,they told me that i will need to go to some offices to get some papers and sign some documents. Infact,they collected the total sum of $8,500 from me in the process. After 4 days,i did not see any of them again.I waited for one week in the hotel and nobody came.I had to inform the hotel management about it and they told me that i might have been just defrauded. I could not believe it.I had to pay the hotel another money to enable me stay for sometime and plan my way back to the states.

Infact yesterday i had to book my flight ticket to the United States. And i was told that i will need a BTA(Basic Travelling Allowance) before i can fly from Uk to another country. Honestly i have spent all the money i have and what is left for me now is just $700 and the BTA is $1,200.

Please,my friend i will like you to just help me out with $500 to complete the BTA and fly back to US.I don't know what to do since i have no folks.Moreover i was told that the BTA is just for travel security incase anything happens and it may not need to be spent.I promise to pay you back as soon as i get back to US.
I am writing to you because you once replied to my post and i belief we are friends.I have just 4 days for the ticket and Below is my flight Schedule:

THIS IS THE FLIGHT INFO:

Departure

From London (London Heathrow International Airport) to Amsterdam
(Schiphol)

Flight number KL 0588

Departure time      21:40 Mon 09 June, 2008
Arrival time           05:25 Tue 10 June, 2008

Class Economy Class

From Amsterdam (Schiphol) to Newyork

Flight number KL 6057

Departure time   14:20 Tue 10 June, 2008
Arrival time        17:00 Tue 10 June, 2008

Class Economy

Remarks Operated by Northwest Airlines

From Newyork to Arkansas

Flight number KL 6882

Departure time  19:40 Tue 10 June, 2008
Arrival time       22:30 Tue 10 June, 2008

Class Economy

Price:

Passengers

1 adult.

Price

USD 1,529.44

Price Breakdown
Show price breakdown
Price Breakdown
   Passenger Type  Ticket price*  Tax*  No.
Total*
Adult(s) 1,110.00 419.44 1 1,529.44
  * Prices are listed in USD.
USD 1,529.44

Passenger information:

Title

Mr.

First Name

MARK

Last Name

COLE

Phone daytime

World Perks (Northwest Airlines)
NW 0000000000

Kindly help me to get back.I am hoping to hear from you soonest.

Your friend,
Mark.
Parent - - By gshuma (**) Date 06-05-2008 16:20
You have to give those guys high marks for the ingenious ways that they can recreate the same scam.
Sadly someone will bite.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-05-2008 16:31
Yep. Ebay's full of them too. I did, however, express an interest in helping him with a check (rubber), or perhaps some Monopoly money. :-) S.W.

"Do you have any idea what 600 volts can do to a person?" (Jim Paul Leitz to Lisa Williams, moments before electrocuting her to death, Cruel Summer)
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 06-05-2008 16:40
I got the exact same message, from a guy with 0 posts... hrmm well he has been in the AWS for 5 years start asking him some welding questions, get him to admit he welds overhead SAW
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-05-2008 16:46
Yeah! Or maybe 6G with a circular SAW!!!! :-) S.W.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-05-2008 16:47
bWAAAHAHAHA!!

Good one.
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 06-05-2008 16:49
Hey Steve

Just go ahead an get me a ticket to Amsterdam as well,also,include enough money for a case of beer and a sack.I'll pay you back on my way back thru Michigan.You know I'm good for it.

Later,Ringo
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-05-2008 16:58
You BET!!!!! Right on that one! S.W.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-05-2008 16:51
Steve,
  Sounds like he needs to look for a job flippin burgers or something, or he is going to be stuck in the UK for awhile. If this is truly a lagitimate deal, I feel sorry for the gentleman, but I am not buying in to it, not for even one minute. :-)

John
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-05-2008 16:53
IMHO, the grammar and sentence structure gives it away!!!
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-05-2008 17:02
Yep. On ebay they're called "Romanian" scams. Only, the item you are purchasing is in another country & they need you to wire transfer funds right away, so they can get in here! All the same. I told him the check (rubber) was in the mail!! S.W.

"How many lumps do you want, Mr. Rabbit? One or two?" (Paul the Puma to Bugs Bunny, Bugs Bunny Cartoon)
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-05-2008 17:41
I asked him for his paypal address.
Parent - By 59halfstep Date 06-05-2008 20:24
Here is a link from Best of Craig's List that gave me a good grin.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/lax/119838685.html

Charlie
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-05-2008 20:55
Here is one I recieved through my work e-mail address.

"From Loveline willson.

Dearest one.

May the peace of gracious God be with you.

please I have a problem which I needed a help from you,I have decided to write you for help. I have a proposal for you this however is not mandatory nor will I in any manner compel you to honour against your will.

I am in a state of delinma and your profile pushed me to send this to you.

I am  Loveline willson, 19 years old and the only Daugther of my late parents Chief Micheal Williams. My father was a highly reputable business magnet (a cocoa merchant) who operated in the capital city of Ivory coast during his days.

It is sad to say that my parents passed away steriously on 27th Febuary 2004 during political problem in Ivory coast.

Though there sudden death was linked or rather suspected to have been masterminded by an uncle who was an opposition and greedy of my late father's wealth, I would have also been a victim but I was in school at that very period, But Allah knows the truth.

Before the sudden death of my parents on 27th Febuary  2004 my father told me secretly that he has the sum of Eleven million, Nine hundred thousand United State Dollars. US($11.900,000) left in fixed/suspense account in one of the prime banks here in Abidjan ,that he used my name as his only Daugther for the next of Kin in depositing of the fund .

I am just 19 years old a university undergraduate and really i don't know what to do, This is because I have suffered a lot of set backs as a result of incessant political crisis here in Ivory coast.

The death of my parents actually brought sorrow to my life, I am in a sincere desire of your humble assistance.

Please it is my wish if you will give this mail a thought and come for my assistance and in this regards,Your suggestions and ideas will be highly regarded.

Consider this and get back to me as soon as possible.

Thanks and remain blessed.

My sincere regards,

Loveline willson."

Not a snowballs chance in He**!!!

My reply:BWAHAHAHAHAAHAA, KISS MY A**!!! I WILL BE FORWARDING THIS TO THE AUTHORITIES SCAMMER!!

And I did not use stars in my reply, and did report to the authorities, who of course could not do much. But guess what! I have not heard from "Lovelin Willson" again, and I doubt that I will.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-05-2008 21:24
BWAHAHAHAHAAHAA!!! :-) I guess there are some people that really fall for this s**t. You really got to wonder! I almost wanted to toy with them a little, but don't need any spyware or other garbage getting installed on my computer by corresponding with them. They can't do anything to you unless you let them. As long as there's an easy buck to be made on the ignorance & stupidity of others.....Vincent Theresa (a top New England mobster) summed it up best. He said "People get taken because they WANT to get taken. They know that these scams are usually just way too unbelievable to be true, and are just looking to get rich quick. It's their own fault, and I don't feel bad if they do something they know is stupid & risky." He spent 25 years in the mob as a top scam artist & loanshark. He went into the Federal Witness Protection Program after a few attempts were made on his life after a shakeup in the very top ranks. I read his book & never forgot it.

Stay safe out there, fellow rod slingers. :-) S.W.

"Don't take any plug nickels." (Traditional)
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 06-06-2008 02:06 Edited 06-06-2008 23:55
cut there head's off.........yeah - I'm back.

I get a bunch of those every month..........from nigeria.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-06-2008 02:13
Yeah! And use a circular SAW!! :-) Welcome back, didn't know you were actually gone. Weld on!

"All my life, I wanted to be a surgeon...But the boards wouldn't pass me..Want to know why?" (Sadistic surgeon to Josh, moments before cutting his Achilles tendons, Hostel)
Parent - - By RANDER (***) Date 06-06-2008 02:22
My latest

Goodday,

I wish to inform that I have dropped an ATM MASTER CARD worth $800,000 USD with FedEx Delivery Services.Everything has been paid both Insurance and delivery charges have been paid for, but the only fee remaining is the security safe keeping fee of $300 USD which you will be required to pay before delivery. I did this because I was unable to make the funds transfer to your home account in your country and I am going out of Nigeria to Iraq for a period of 4 months to see my boss.i really dont have money to pay because have spent alot processing this package for you.it came to an extent that  sold my television set at all.try and come up with the security fee so that your percel will  be deliver to you my friend please dont let your percel go like that. this for real trust me

However, this was not paid for because of demurrage. Well, I did forward them your delivery address, but a re-confirmation is important and when contacting, I advise you quote the parcel and shipment code to them for onward delivery to your re-confirmed address. The ATM MASTER CARD has pin number (0114).
Please make sure the information is complete as they promised that once they receive their security safe keeping fee within 2 to 3 working days the magazine will arrived your door step according to the shipment officer

Forward the following when contacting FedEx Delivery Services:

Your Name, Your Delivery Address, Your Phone Number and code below.call for help
Once again, the Fedex delivery services do not know the content of the parcel, I registered it as an African magazine they don't know it contains ATM MASTER CARD inside, this is to avoid them delaying the delivery and besides I don't want you to lose your inherittance funds.

Your ATM MASTER CARD withdrewing access pin code number is (0114) take note, once you receive the card you take it to any cashpoint around your area and sllotten it and enter the pin code for withdrewal, the amount you are to withdrew per day is USD$20,000.00. (Twenty thousand United State dollars) each day. Also ask them on how you are to make the payment for the security fee to them so they can effect immedaite delivery on your parcel.

Remain blessed and enjoy your funds.
Find FedEx Contact Information Below:
====================================
Contact Mr Rain Coker Shipment Officer Of Fedex delivery services
E-mail:fedexdeliveryservicenig1@live.com
Tel: +234 807 9128 582
Shipment Code: CPEL/OWN/9876
Parcel Number: EG2272
Thanks.
Barrister Mathew
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-06-2008 02:47
     Reply to anyone asking for Money: Accounts payable is handled by Hellan Wait. If You think We should send You money You can go to Hell an Wait.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-06-2008 02:54
ROTFLMFAO!!!

:-)
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-06-2008 10:14
Guys....I need the scammer's user ID to forward on to ross....I have received a few reports of this.
Thanks,
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 06-06-2008 22:31
all I can say go get a JOB you loosers come on people actually fall for this SH*T
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-09-2008 19:16
markrule was the one I got, John. S.W.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-09-2008 19:06
Yep. I like to refer then to Mr.I.M Askam. His email address is doyoureallythinkimthatstupid@sureitsascam.com. I've got a couple of Vulcan anvils we can shove up his rear. :-) S.W.
Parent - - By thewelder (***) Date 06-07-2008 03:01
HI RANDER, I recived the same e-mail about 3 months, but on that time was $500000 and was asking for $200 to be paid to a ups c.o.d, the ups show-up 4 days latter my wife don't paid the ups. they returned the box to sender. welder's beter be carefull.
Parent - - By snuffman (***) Date 06-08-2008 08:56
I havent had any emails but I had a phone call from an arab wanting me to renew my trucks warranty. She told me she got my number from Ford, but she couldnt tell me what kind of truck or anything about me. She just kept trying to get me to give her my social security number.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-09-2008 19:24
This is what I do with tele marketers: Hi, I'm Hoji Boboji from Bohpal, India. Injured right now, have no money. No, I no understand you..... I've played it off well for several minutes, acting like I was injured in the Bohpal Union Carbide plant gas leak of 1994. You'll have them feeling so sorry for you, they may give YOU money!

*No disrespect intended to the victims of that tragedy. 20,000 died. 120,000 injured. Very Sad* S.W.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-09-2008 18:43
This just in:

Hi John,
How are you? I hope you are doing pretty well. I am Mark a 35 years old welder from Arkansas. I have been a member of the American Welding Society for 5 years now, since I started welding.

Actually I have been in the UK (United Kingdom) for the past 10 days now. This is because I was made to understand that I have secured a Job contract to work for an Oil servicing firm for a year here in UK with a big pay of 100,000 pounds annually. I applied for this Job contract in May and since then have been in constant communication with the people. After sometime they informed me that i have secured the job and will need to come to UK to finish every paper work with regards to the contract before i can start the job.They sent me an invitation which i used to get Visa at the Embassy. When i got here,i was picked up at the airport by three guys and checked me into a hotel. the next day,they told me that i will need to go to some offices to get some papers and sign some documents. Infact,they collected the total sum of $8,500 from me in the process. After 4 days,i did not see any of them again.I waited for one week in the hotel and nobody came.I had to inform the hotel management about it and they told me that i might have been just defrauded. I could not believe it.I had to pay the hotel another money to enable me stay for sometime and plan my way back to the states.

Infact yesterday i had to book my flight ticket to the United States. And i was told that i will need a BTA(Basic Travelling Allowance) before i can fly from Uk to another country. Honestly i have spent all the money i have and what is left for me now is just $700 and the BTA is $1,200.

Please,my friend i will like you to just help me out with $500 to complete the BTA and fly back to US.I don't know what to do since i have no folks.Moreover i was told that the BTA is just for travel security incase anything happens and it may not need to be spent.I promise to pay you back as soon as i get back to US.
I am writing to you because you once replied to my post and i belief we are friends.I have just 4 days for the ticket and Below is my flight Schedule:

THIS IS THE FLIGHT INFO:

Departure

From London (London Heathrow International Airport) to Amsterdam
(Schiphol)

Flight number KL 0588

Departure time      21:40 Mon 09 June, 2008
Arrival time           05:25 Tue 10 June, 2008

Class Economy Class

From Amsterdam (Schiphol) to Newyork

Flight number KL 6057

Departure time   14:20 Tue 10 June, 2008
Arrival time        17:00 Tue 10 June, 2008

Class Economy

From Newyork to Arkansas

Flight number KL 6882

Departure time  19:40 Tue 10 June, 2008
Arrival time       22:30 Tue 10 June, 2008

Class Economy

Price:

Passengers

1 adult.

Price

USD 1,529.44 

Price Breakdown
Show price breakdown
Price Breakdown
   Passenger Type  Ticket price*  Tax*  No.
Total*
Adult(s) 1,110.00 419.44 1 1,529.44
  * Prices are listed in USD.
USD 1,529.44

Passenger information:

Title

Mr.

First Name

MARK

Last Name

COLE

Phone daytime

World Perks (Northwest Airlines)
NW 0000000000

Kindly help me to get back.I am hoping to hear from you soonest.

Your friend,
Mark.

While I do have a heart, I also was issued a brain the same day. I truly hope one of our own is not stuck in this postition.

I say we do a little investigation of this, and if it is lagit, maybe we could all pitch in little and help out a fellow member in a tight spot, or we could all pitch in and get some identity thieving scamming piece of sh** prosecuted. :-)

ROSS!!! Where are ya buddy?

jrw159
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-09-2008 19:01
I'm all for the latter part of your comment. I think it's a load. Let's just find this guy, cover him in honey & tie him to a tree in the African plain. The army ants there have been know to devour cattle to the bones in a few hours. If they didn't get him, I'm sure some lion or leopard will find a tasty meal!
S.W.

"Crikey!! Have a look at that!" (Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter)
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-09-2008 19:07
Yeah, I am leaning towards the BS side of things. For some reason the name rang a bell when you posted the first time on this, but for the life of me I do not know why. I think there is an identity theft going on here as well.  "Mark Cole" could be right here in the USA and not have a clue that he is stuck in the UK.

HEADS UP PEOPLE!!
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-09-2008 19:14
Yep, same guy. I venture to think it's a foreign deal from what you had pointed out about the poor grammar of our friend "Mark Cole". That's what he called himself anyways. That post about Nigerian scams on craigs list was a real blast. Most likely where it's coming from. There's a link right on this thread I believe. I say we hang him, whatever the case.

"When you hang a man, you better look at him." (Clint Eastwood, Hang Em' High)
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-09-2008 21:34
He says he is and has been a member for 5 years. I tried to see if there was a way to search for members and if there is, I can not find it. I have tracked down this name, and found only one match for that name age and location. He does not list where in Arkansas, so I think I will reply and ask for the city or town he is from, as well as his AWS member # for conformation. I will not discuss my next action if I recieve the requested info, but I am sure you are bright enough to see where this is going.

If he replies with the requested information, one of two things are going on.
#1-It is Mr. Cole, and he may or may not be in a bind and in need of help. Not likely.
#2-Whoever it is is not bright enough to know where this is going. Possible.

Time to go fishing!! LOL :-)

If he takes the bait, I will fight him in to the shore and bash him over the head with the handle of my fillet knife until he stops flipping around, gut him, and FRY his a**!!

Yeah, I am that type of guy!

jrw159
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-09-2008 21:51
Yes, John. I am too & will enjoy seeing where this goes. Let me know if I can be of any assistance. :-) Look at the post with the craigs list link. You'll die reading it. S.W.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-09-2008 21:59
Oh yes, I did read it and that is a man after my own heart. I loved that deal. :-)

John
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / CHECK THIS CRAP OUT!!!!!!!