Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / What should I do accidently poured diesel instead of gas.
- - By sharaz27 Date 06-05-2008 16:54
I accidently poured diesel in my miller bobcat 250 thinking it was gas. It had a little bit of gas in the machine then I poured like 5 gallon of diesel inside. Then I put on the machine not knowing it was diesel and it made a hard noice and alot of white smoke. I then siphon the 5 gallon out and then put on the machine again and now its just thumbling. Am I going to have to buy a new machine or is there any way I can fix this. Please let me know if any of you guys ever had this kind of problem before.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 06-05-2008 17:32 Edited 06-05-2008 17:38
If you drained the machine and filled it, it should run it self through.  You just have a bit more lubrication going on now so your plugs might be starting to foul.  Keep putting fresh gas in it so it keeps leaning out the mixture of reg gas to diesel and eventaully it will all be gone.  To keep your plugs from fouling if they haven't allready, run the sit out of the machine meaning put a load on it for a while every now and again. That white smoke is probably just diesel vapor.  Stick a lighter by your exhaust and see if you can get it to light.;-) just kidding  Your little betsy will be ok here in a bit.;-) 
     It's the other way around that is bad for a motor ( gas in a diesel).  If this was a brand new machine however, you could wash your cylinder walls and your rings would never seat and she'd smoke for the rest of her welding life.
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 06-05-2008 17:54
This happened to a woman's car when the gas station mistakenly put diesel in the gas tank.  She had the car towed to a mechanic and they drained the tank.  The station wound up paying for the cost of "repairs" + towing.
Parent - By kidblue (*) Date 06-05-2008 18:03
Be sure and replace the sparks.
Parent - - By rlitman (***) Date 06-05-2008 18:05
Relax, you won't need a new machine.
As posted above, it will just foul the plugs and provide a little more lubrication.
It could be pretty hard to start though, so after siphoning and refilling the tank, I would pull the fuel filter out, and while replacing it, bleed the fuel line a little, to get the diesel out of the lines.  Otherwise, you may have to seriously stress your starter, before you can get the line cleared out.
That, and it might be a good idea to pull your plugs, and rinse them off with carb cleaner.  The diesel should burn cleanly off -once the engine is hot-, but you may have trouble starting it with fouled plugs.
Parent - - By sharaz27 Date 06-06-2008 00:05
Hey, thank you guys for the tips. However a few people told me about the spark plug..but I don;t know to change/open the machine in order to get it. Can you like explain step by step the process in doing that..
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-06-2008 03:50
If the machine runs, it might clear itself with a bit of full load operation. If it lacs power and sounds strange, a plug is fouled and will need to be cleaned or replaced. They are located on the head of the engine, and have a rubber "boot" covering the end. The wire that feeds them is about 1/4" in diameter. On older machines they are readily accessable, if Yours has sheetmetal covering the engine You might need to remove some of it to get acess. If Your machine has acess panneles on the sides of the engine end open them up and see what You can see.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / What should I do accidently poured diesel instead of gas.