Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Question for Pipewelders
- - By welding_curious Date 06-05-2008 21:02
Hi,

I was curious to learn about pipewelders. How much do 1st class pipewelders usually make in the south?  And do welders typically prefer contracting or short term gigs over long term permanent positions?  What would it take for a someone who has passed an XRAY test to move to the south to work in a shipyard?

Thanks!
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 06-06-2008 01:07
It would take a UHaul. The companies would not care if you passed a Xray test or not. You will have to test when you hire out.
BABRT's
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-06-2008 01:15
Brutally honest.

And oh so true.

jrw159
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 06-06-2008 16:46
In my experience it's about $20-$25 an hour,plus alot of overtime.There are alot of pipewelding jobs out there right now.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-08-2008 23:30
Get 'yer gear & get going! Months on the road & 70+ hours easy a week. Good money, hard work. You will test before every new job as well as new procedures. Just do a little reading on this fine site & you'll get a pretty good idea what it's all about.  Not my bag, but if it's yours, like the 'dbigK says, "follow that pipeline!" :-) S.W.

"Boy! Fetch my sword!" (Executioner of Calis, seconds before removing the head of Anne Boleyn, the Queen of England, The Tudors.)
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Question for Pipewelders