Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / gas mixing regulators
- - By Plasma-Brain (**) Date 06-05-2008 22:07
How expensive would a 2 or 3 gas mixing regulator be, and where would I find one? 
I'm looking to get a GMAW welder sometime soon and instead of buying another tank for c25 or whatever other mix id want, I'd rather mix it myself. I already have a 100% Co2, 100% O2, and 100% Ar bottle, if I got a bottle of helium id be all set.

Any input would be grand,
-Clif
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-05-2008 23:21
Try ebay. Seen a few mixers on there a while back. Good luck! S.W.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-06-2008 02:04
Some of the ones You saw are in My shop now. They are an ingenously simple and nicely made piece of gear. I had to work on 1 of them, and should do a little work on another, but the *#$%*(*^&%$@#%^**( knobs won't come off, and You need to remove them to get it apart.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-06-2008 02:15
Cool! Glad you got 'em. S.W.

"You're hobbled now, it's your own fault" (Anne Wilkes to Paul Sheldon after cutting his foot off, Misery, Stephen King)
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-06-2008 02:08
Clif, have a look at Ed Craig's website - weldreality.com - He doesn't see any reason to use O2 in a gas mixture. He is also not too keen on 3 gas mixtures.
Parent - - By Plasma-Brain (**) Date 06-07-2008 16:39
When I get a few minutes ill check it out, I've glanced at his site before but didn't get a chance to read into it too much.
I'm probably going to have the machinist at the air museum carve me out a "T" with 3 fittings on it and just hook my regulators up to it... put a sintered screen before the outlet to make sure the gases mix and I'll be all set :)
-Clif
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-09-2008 02:53
Clif, I paid 100-150 for older Smith 2 gas mixers, and got a real nice newer stainless housing one with the 2 preset regulators and 3 lengths of green hose with inert arc fitings for 300. Combining the output from multiple flowmeters might be problematic when You only want a few % of one of the gases, just My opinion. Check eBay store "yours4les"
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / gas mixing regulators