Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / RECTANGULAR TANK CODE
- - By maxilimiano (**) Date 06-06-2008 03:58
Dear All

What kind of Code can we use for Rectangular Tank??...For fabrication and for existing.

Thanks
Best Regards
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 06-06-2008 17:39
First question: will the tank be subjected to pressure?
If so, as far as I know, there's no Code nor standard in the US specific for rectangular tanks. I don't know if AD Merkblatter covers them (Stephan?).
Now, rectangular tanks have flat sides and  heads, and ASME VIII teaches how to calculate them. So, you may use it. Warning, though: the resulting thickness is far higher than that of a round tank with dished heads.
If the tank isn't subjected to pressure (for example, it's full of water at atmospheric pressure), then it's not coverd neither by API 650 nor by AWWA D100. In this case, you should calculate the tank following the formulae and methods usually found on Strength of Materials books (finite elements, for example).
For those who are over 60, remember the good old Timoshenko?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 06-06-2008 18:25
I used to work for a company that manufactured water desalization units that were retangular (about 60 ft long,12 ft wide),and they were contructed under ASME code,but were'nt stamped (only 12psi MAWP).
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 06-06-2008 22:34
for atmospheric pressure UL142 would be the standard.
BABRT's
Parent - - By maxilimiano (**) Date 06-09-2008 08:03
Dear All

That was for atmospheric pressure..If we use handbook, I have got problem for legalization.

How about for using API RP 12...Can we use it?

Thanks
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 06-09-2008 19:07
Maximiliano,
I didn't understand whether the tank will operate at atmospheric pressure or at a pressure above atmospheric, nor I uderstood what handbook are you talking about and why should you have problems at using it.  
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 06-09-2008 21:37
Maximiliano,
I've just taken a look at API 12 standards and RP's and it seems to me that they refer to cylindrical tanks, so they're not applicable to your case.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 06-09-2008 22:41
Correct. Tanks for API 12 F deal only with round storage tanks used for holding crude oil in production service. UL 142 will be the standard. Why do you not want to build them to UL 142?
BABRT's
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / RECTANGULAR TANK CODE