Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / filler/shim plate
- - By cnasta Date 06-06-2008 14:24
I have a contractor who is proposing shimming cantilevered HSS8x8x0.5 posts that get field welded all around with a 1/4" fillet weld to a 3/4" embed plate.  The proposed detail includes using shims ranging from 1/4" to 1" in thickness to level the posts.  The shims would stop flush with the edge of the post and the fillet weld size would be increased to the shim thickness + 1/4".  Section 2.10.1 discusses the detail for filler plates and that as long as the plate cannot transfer stresses, that this detail would apply.  But, with a 1" shim plate, the fillet weld size is now 1.25".  This seems excessive for field welding.  Has anyone seen this type of detail done before.  I would prefer to limit this detail to shims up to 1/4" thickness, and use another method for thicker shims even though the contractor has already installed these.
Parent - - By mountainman (***) Date 06-06-2008 18:28 Edited 06-06-2008 19:56
one alternate suggestion could be to fillet weld a shim plate to the embed plate, then weld the post to the shim plate with the originally called-out 1/4 fillet weld. if appearance is important, i don't see how it could look any worse than a 1.25 fillet weld sticking out there. just a thought. i would think the repair only has to be as strong as the shear strength of the anchors that are welded onto the embed. i'm not an engineer but i did sleep at a holiday inn last night.

JJ
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 06-09-2008 20:11
Can you post a copy of the detail you're referring to?
Parent - By mountainman (***) Date 06-09-2008 22:18
after thinking about this i had visioned the post butting against the embed which could be in a wall. but now i'm wondering if the post bears on the embed plate on the actual wall that it is cantilevering over. maybe the original poster could be more specific? BTW, i don't know how to post a detail of the suggestion i had.

JJ
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / filler/shim plate