Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Here's Some Work Pix!
- - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-07-2008 12:48 Edited 06-08-2008 20:20
I have some here of a wonderful scrap shredder I worked on with a company for a couple of days (18 hour days.) We put a new floor in the shaker table. Had to make the base of it somewhat level first, hence the pads welded in the first couple pics. Burned 1/4" 7018 inside that heap all day (& night). It was the biggest clapped-together, pile of truly hack, junk iron someone could weld on. I refused to weld anymore on the throat plates because they were 1 1/2" thick, 24" X 18" suspended, in 4G pos, not even beveled, (they CAC'ed them off the day before) & we didn't have any 3/16" 6010 (he didn't believe in the wonders of 5p) to hack it back together. Not to mention we had no exterior lighting (it was long since dark), it rained on us all day & I about fell in the 15' deep pit this pile of crap was sitting in. I told the Hack Master after 18 hours that I was calling someone to get me if he didn't shut if off & call it a day. Needless to say, I was never called to come back. Broke my heart. Welcome to most of the welding jobs here in Michigan.

Sorry, I'm not getting killed for $16/hr. Anyways.....Here's some Work Pix, for what it's worth. S.W.

"Their minds are twisted, you hear the lie...Just take one look around you, and pray that you realize.." The Powers That Be, Metal Church, Blessing In Disguise LP.)
Attachment: DSC02665.JPG (58k)
Attachment: DSC02662.JPG (59k)
Attachment: DSC02676.JPG (155k)
Attachment: DSC02663.JPG (0B)
Attachment: DSC02674.JPG (136k)
Parent - - By texwelder (***) Date 06-07-2008 18:20
Awesome, where are you located.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-07-2008 18:39
The great city of Lansing, MI. Actually, there wasn't all too much awesome about that job. :-) It rained on us all day long & it was so humid, I had to take off my glasses, just to see out of my hood. It took literally three showers to get the dirt off me after crawling around in that box of infernal hell for 18 hours. That dude was a Hack Master, First Class. I did work one other day for him, doing CAC for about 14 hours on a big demo job. Probably best he never call me back.  I'm trying to format some other pictures of a plate racking job I worked on a couple of years ago. The pics are too big for this website. Hopefully, I can get them up. Nothing special, but turned out nice for doing the whole thing by myself.

I have really only worked for a couple of contractors here in MI. I have been self-employed for the most part in the welding trade, doing repair & general fab work. I may not be the big pipe weldor, making $2000 a week, but I make more money on machine sales based on actual man hours & time expended than I EVER did welding for anyone. I work about 35 hrs a week, I'm home every night, getting attention from the Missus, drinking beer & watching baseball. No complaints here. Thanks for the response, Tex! S.W.

"And what of the king's putan, this whore......Why doesn't someone just get rid of her?" (Pope Paul III to Cardinal Campegio, regarding Anne Boleyn, The Tudors.)
Parent - - By texwelder (***) Date 06-07-2008 18:51
Hey man its good to see that there are still men out there that like that HARD, most of the welders now wont touch if it aint just perfectlly set up for them. I've done jobs just that nasty before to make ends meet when i first went self employed. You gotta do what you can sometimes, hopefully I wont have to that kind of work agin.

Thought of the day. Birds of a feather, flock together, the bald eagles don't hand out with the buzzards
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-07-2008 18:59
Sooo true. And....The buzzards got it the best though, because they just wait for something to die....They get fed all the same & put a lot less work into getting their meal than any other bird of prey. Ahhhh....The life! :-) Now, I just fix & sell welding machinery. Like Ksellon says, "we're not getting rich" But, I don't have it that bad & I don't work 60-80 hours a week anymore. The bills still get paid, all the same.

I'm working on those other pics. Bye! S.W.

" I have to go unclog the kitchen sink" (Steve Webber, actually going to unclog the sink at wife's request)
Parent - - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 06-08-2008 00:31 Edited 06-08-2008 00:35
well im not doin that bad so far here r sum pics of last week sorry bout layout
Attachment: pipelineonhill.jpg (349k)
Attachment: pipelineboys.jpg (375k)
Attachment: 02-26-08_09571.JPG (126k)
Attachment: fabworkonpad.jpg (248k)
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-08-2008 01:17
Thats MONEY brother.  Nice.

jrw159
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-08-2008 03:20
Ahhhhh. Those were the days. I miss the construction sites, lots of cool things to look at that I had never seen before. I really need to go to bed. :-) S.W.

"if I don't get off this computer now, my wife will certainly kill me." (Thoughts of Steve Webber, a husband about to be banished from the AWS forum for being on it way too much according to his wife. :-) )
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-08-2008 12:34
I get accused of the same thing by my wife. LOL :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-08-2008 12:55
Yep. They just don't understand. Pipeliner04 says he knows a guy that makes pancake hoods...For kids! he told me in a post that he could get one. Awesome! My kid loves wearing my gear around & a hood just his size with a real glass inside would be great!! I told him I wanted one for me too! :-) I'll keep you posted.

""How long can you hide...How long 'till they come...A rat in a trap, but you plan to survive." Gangland, Iron Maiden, Number Of The Beast LP)
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-08-2008 13:48
Yeah, I saw that post. Sounds cool. My boys are the same way. When my oldest was about three, I would get up to go to work, and often times would have to retrieve my work boots from his toy box. The first time was a riot, imagine if you will, me franticlly looking for my boots, starting to run late, and after turning almost the whole house upside down, finding them in the toy box. LOL :-)

jrw159
Parent - By JMCInc (**) Date 06-09-2008 05:35
Nice 12v diesel, ibeweldingsum.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Here's Some Work Pix!