Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / discuss MIG weld which need X-ray test
- - By mike li Date 06-08-2008 02:13
I did this kind of welding , for example. I weld 1/2 inch thickness carbon steel 6 inch pressur pipe butt joint. on positioner 1G mig root 4 more passes mig cap. X-ray test required cant clean inside root pass slag because the pipe is too deep to catch. use one shot to finish one cap pass ,non-stop ,that means the start point does not clean slag throughly.welder in my company all did same way. but  test will pass .my confusion is 1 -the surface slag doea not affect the test why do I need to clean the slag interpass. 2-one shot to finish the round weld ,stop the weld at the start place why dont have slag inclusion. why. thank you.
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 06-08-2008 08:54 Edited 06-08-2008 08:56
mike li,

forgive me, but from my humble standpoint there's a bit too less information.

You know there are the greatest welding experts at all here in the forum and all want to help by sharing their outstanding experience.

But with a lack of information it may happen that the reply on your question can understandably look like:

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=100317#pid100317

In other words, you have most likely found out what arc-welding really is. Each case of application is to be treated quite particularly and hence all the little details, belonging to even each specific application, are thus crucial to deal with the application appropriately.

Or in other words again, what you have experienced with your welding application is not stringently to be expected for every other welding application similar or comparable with yours.

Thus, if you could provide more details (base material, filler material and consumables, joint design, welding parameters,...) your chances to receive an excellent reply could rise as well.

Best regards,
Stephan
Parent - By mike li Date 06-10-2008 02:28
thank you Stephan. Ill do as you said.
best regard
mike
Parent - By 3.1 Inspector Date 06-08-2008 17:33
?
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / discuss MIG weld which need X-ray test