Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / magnetizing a weld?
- - By michael Almeida Date 06-08-2008 04:44
True or False

Stacking beads in opposite directions can create friction, which can also cause a weld to become magnetized.

I thought this was true, but I couldn't find any information on it.

An example to better understand would be a 1" test plate (double bevel). If I were to weld my first bead left to right and then weld my second right to left and continue to switch directions for each weld while filling the bevel. I have only had a little amount of time to test this at work (I don't own any welding machines). The only thing I have noticed is some arc blow and I was wondering if anyone knew the truth behind this.

If this is false could somebody tell me what happens when you stack beads in opposite directions please?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-08-2008 13:33
There is a good reason why you couldn't find any information on the subject. The magnetic field is the result of the welding current passing through the ferrous base metal, i.e., steel. If the conductor, i.e., the base metal being welded, is not ferromagnetic, there is no retained magnetic field once the current flow ceases.

Depositing one weld bead in one direction and the next bead in the opposite direction will not cause any detrimental effects other than to help ensure the groove is filled evenly.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / magnetizing a weld?