Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Mid-west School
- - By CatManDoo Date 06-09-2008 01:26
I'm looking for some good schools in the mid-west (IL,MN,WI,MI,OH,IA) for welding. I'm also curious what i should be looking for in a school. thanks for any input. when you reply with a particular school if you could give some reasoning it'd be great.
My Background:
Male
Raised in N. MI
Almost 25yrs old
Bachelors degree (CJ)
Worked all over the country doing different stuff since graduating with previous degree. Wanted to attend college for a welding AAS but couldn't because of scholarship issues(NCAA wouldn't let me use my money for a 2 yr degree). 

take care
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-09-2008 06:24 Edited 06-09-2008 06:27
What you should look for in a school has alot to do with what YOU are looking for in a career.

There are some strong choices in each of the states you mention.  Lots of variety and tech niches.  Some have big robotic applications programs.. Some have very strong fabrication, other focus on process and procedure. What is offered and how it is presented will vary from college to college within a state.

Look for lab time hours..... You may find that there are actually more lab time hours in a one year diploma program Vs a two year associate program... This varies state by state. Are you looking to a welding position on your way to management or engineering? than a two year program might be the way to go.. Do you want to get into the job market as fast as possible with a hand full of certs? Than a one year diploma may be the way.

Look at equipment and materials... Are you looking for experience with Stainless and Aluminum?  Are you looking for experience with GMAW-P?  Large Diameter FCAW for heavy industry? Or are you looking mainly for SMAW for structures or pipe?  Don't just ask if they have any of this stuff,, Ask how many power supplies they have with GMAW-P. Ask how much time is devoted to GTAW aluminum.  Ask if advanced students will be able to do purged welding on stainless pipe. Ask how many students left last semester with unlimited thickness or all position  certs. Councilors will probably not be able to answer your questions with depth.. Try to contact instructors.

Will you be a full time student or a part time student?  Every college has different offerings along these lines also. Many students do best with a cohort group of that they spend 4 hours per day with in the lab with mon-fri. Working with the same folks day in and day out can make for a really accelerated learning experience.  Others must mix work and school and cannot spend quite that much time on campus.

Your going to be spending quite a bit of time and money here... You need to interview program instructors or department chairs to see if they offer what you want in the way of curriculum, lab time and certification/qualification possibilities.

Finally... You are already on the near or  outside of many timelines. Good programs fill fast and most of the good schools have waiting lists for seats.  If you are looking for a seat in the Fall you better get crackin!
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 06-09-2008 16:42
Lawrence really nailed it in terms of what to look for. You don't mention any experience in the field as a lot of times people will go back to school to learn a new process or get certs which he mentioned.

AS far as two schools, Ferris State in Big Rapids MI, and Washtenaw Community College in Ann Arbor both have excellent programs and facilities. I might be biased because I graduated from WCC  last year, but it's considered one of the best AAS welding programs in the nation.  I can't speak to any other schools in other states you mention but if you want additional information I can provide quite a bit about WCC.

as lawrence mentioned schools and programs have slightly different focuses, an AAS with a focus on robotic welding won't help you pass pipe certs and visa versa. Also degrees are usually pretty general, just enough to get your foot in the door but chances are you'll be taking additional cert tests on positions and joints you never practiced in the classroom, as there are just soo many possible configurations.

Good luck it's a great field to be in, PM me and I can give you loads more information about WCC and AAS degrees as I've been there and I'm working on my B.A.S now
Parent - - By CatManDoo Date 06-09-2008 20:53 Edited 06-09-2008 21:07
Wow thanks, thats a lot of info but i needed it and it exactly what i was hoping for. I'm not necessarily looking for this fall, but more within the next 12 months. anymore information from anybody is appreciated.

anyone know anything about Northeast Wisconsin Tech College or Joliet CC?

thanks again
Parent - By david.crawford (*) Date 09-15-2008 01:36
Northeast Wisconsin Tech College has an ok program. If you arent afraid of traveling a little farther, Fox Valley Technical College in Appleton, WI has a much better program. Here is a link to the program site http://fvtc.edu/public/academics/degree.aspx?plan=10-621-1

Fox Valley Tech gets new welders every 3 or 4 years, and they just got new welders last year. They also have a superb fab shop.
Parent - - By EliteWelding Date 06-17-2008 11:55
Please check out Elite Welding Academy located in Cincinnati , Ohio. We have a great Pipe Welding Program. WWW.ELITEWELDINGACADEMY.COM This scholl was started because there is a huge shortage of pipe welders out there.
Thanks Bob
Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 06-17-2008 19:38
What is a scholl?
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 06-24-2008 16:57
Probably one of the best tech schools for welding in the country is in Ann Arbor Michigan, the one Metarinka mentioned.
Parent - By defaced (**) Date 09-17-2008 00:32
Hobart Institute of Welding is known to be a good school and located in Troy, OH: http://www.welding.org/.  I have toured their facility twice and have been impressed. 
Parent - By hirewelders Date 09-23-2008 00:07
In addition to what has already been posted, you can find a complete listing of all welding schools in the US at http://www.hirewelders.com/welding-education.html. 
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Mid-west School