Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / electrocution hazards
- - By and4rik (**) Date 06-09-2008 01:44
I googled this and didnt' really come up with much.  Anybody know of a sure fire way to get zapped while welding.  I know it sounds stupid but ive only been shocked once while tig welding.
Parent - By texwelder (***) Date 06-09-2008 01:50
Wet gloves or feet and no gloves. that the only way I've ever been shocked. Got shocked so bad 1 time I threw up.

A plasma cutter will shock the crap out of you to, and fry a pager if the lead touches it
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-09-2008 02:12
If you are in a humid climate & are in AC HF cont., you stand a good chance. I got hit quite a few times with the 115 HF when my jacket was wet from sweat. Lift up from the table & zap. Additional grounding helps, but still a risk. Never been hit good with DC from the machine though. Sourdough has, I'm sure he could tell you about how it happened. Well..If he felt like it anyways. :-) S.W.

"My anvil's bigger than your anvil" (Blacksmith banter)
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-09-2008 03:13
      Steve, More Blacksmith babble:" Old smiths don't like to  quit, but after a point they just can't use Their Peter Wright."

[Peter Wright is an extremely common anvil brand.]
Parent - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 06-09-2008 03:19
Now that's pretty humorous! LOL
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-09-2008 03:58
THAT was funny! :-) Those anvils I just got were Vulcans. Bummer. I thought the "arm & hammer" was associated with them. Still, $275 for a 150#, a 75# & 5 very nice tongs was a good deal, if I should say so. The big one's rough, but the little one looks like new & hardly used. I may keep it. Give that 'ol Hay Budden a playmate. :-) S.W.

"Like a surgeon...Cuttin' for the very first time..." ( Like A Surgeon, Weird Al Yankovic)
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 06-09-2008 22:59
squeezing parts together with one hand and tacking with gmaw wire glanced of the part and was orange hot poked through glove and went into finger and current traveled through me and down through my knee on damp pavement. it hurt a lot and finger swole up pretty bad and got infected. i would assume i made some groaning noises as it happened. things where kinda fuzzy for a couple of minutes right after. weld structural on very hot day and you'll get lots of pokes because your soaked in sweat( a very good conductor i must say)
had a red hot stinger poke me in the back and it found its way out my right pec (or moob) as it rested on the aluminum ladder which was connected to ground. that one almost blew me off the ladder 28 feet up. or deck welding in the rain. get a thousand pokes a day doing it that way. welding 7018 in the pouring rain will give you some nice surprises as well.
the worst is guys who roll up extension cables while still attached to source, step in puddle and die, not enough info on that one as far as im concerned, 110 220  480 575 ac cables should always be unplugged when rolling them up.
enough farm code reports for now.
darren
Parent - By Mat (***) Date 06-10-2008 11:58 Edited 06-10-2008 12:09
Kneeling on what you're working on when it's wet (or when your knee is wet) while changing rod with a wet, damp or soggy glove ranks up there.  The intensity'll vary depending upon "soggyness!"  Anywhere from a mild tingle to being punched upside the head.  The most I've ever had though was a mid-low range bzzzt that I felt through my arm.  I've never been zapped while welding, but while re-loading I have!

Of course, I may be de-sensitized, having accidentally stuck my finger in a wall outlet while plugging in the christmas tree back when I was four...
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-10-2008 13:29
Here is an experience I posted back in 03. There are others on the same thread.

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=12841
Parent - - By Sharp Tungsten (**) Date 06-10-2008 19:09
Sounds like that one hurt pipewelder. But the worst shock I have ever recieved from a welder was from a big readi arc machine that resembled a a Lincoln Idealarc 600 but this machine had 800 amps and were using it to airarc plate with 3/8's carbons. Plus we were trying to impress the foreman and said we dind't need no tent because of the rain. So were working on the side of the duct work at a plant and I was using a wire brush with a carbon jammed in the bristles to load the airarc rig. And this was working good no shocks until I got stupid I was leaning in between scaffold hores gouging away. I ran out of carbon so i reached in the bucket to grab a new one and just figured I did not need the brush anymore. And that is when it hit me like Tyson. I threw the rig  at the wall and busted a jaw just from reaction not trying to break it. I saw spots for a couple minutes and thought I was going to puke but man that was stupid when i looked back at it. Some journeyman said it best to me he said even a chicken has enough sense to get out of the rain.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-10-2008 19:19
I feel much BETTER about mine now. :)
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 06-11-2008 02:33
Saw a sheet metal welder turned boiler tube welder check to see if he had argon on his tig rig. Licked his lips and stuck the tungsten in his lip. (His depth perception was a little off)

He got electrocuted.

He started the craze of having your lips pumped. Yes that's right they use to use argon and electricity. Now they use butt fat.

On a very cold, wet day I saw an IW welder check his lead to see if it was hot by sticking his tongue in the female end. It was hot.

Both of these methods work.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-11-2008 03:10
   I may have mentioned this in a different thread, but here goes again. A few months ago a guy at a local powder coating shop hooked the charge wires to his nipple rings. He was electrocuted immediatly. Don't try this Yourselves, kids.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / electrocution hazards