Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / YOU WANNA HERE SOMETHING FUNNY?
- - By KENNY629 (**) Date 06-11-2008 17:51
CHECK THIS OUT, THIS IS CRAZY, WELL THIS COMPANY NEAR ME IS HIRING WELDERS, OK HERE'S THE QUALIFICATIONS THAT THE COMPANY IS LOOKING FOR, SMAW, 6010 OPEN ROOT AND 7018, THAT'S WHAT THE ADD SAID PLUS U KNOW THE USALLY BENEFITS, ETC.. BLAH BLAH BLAH. I WAS LIKE COOL, SO I WNE T DOWN THERE A WEEK AGO, FILLED OUT THE PAPER WORK AND GAVE THEM MY CEFT AND RESUME, OK U WITH ME.. I CALLED THEM TODAY AND THEY SAID THAT MY APPLICATION AND RESUME WERE ONTOP, I WAS LIKE OK, THIS SOUNDS LIKE IT  MIGHT BE GOOD, BUT THEN THE WOMAN SAYS TO ME THAT YOUR QUALIFICATIONS DONT MEET WHAT THE COMPANY IS HIRING FOR, BUT THEY WILL KEEP MY APP  ON FILE FOR FUTRURE CONSIDERATION. THANK YOU, I WAS LIKE WHAT THE ****!! NOW I AM CONFUSED?????????????????????????????????

SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME.......
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 06-11-2008 18:32
Did you fill the application out in all capital letters?  It may have gave them a headache.
Parent - By KENNY629 (**) Date 06-11-2008 19:02
hahaha, nah, =)
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-11-2008 18:35 Edited 06-11-2008 18:41
KENNY629,
  Let me say that all I know about you is from what you have posted in this forum. I consider myself a pretty good judge of charachter. Also you will notice in my profile that I call it like I see it. Now this is just my opinion, and in this case may not be worth the time it takes to type this, and I am by no means trying to bash or discourage you, far from it. So please do NOT take this personal when I say it.

Your inability to find work may be caused by what you see in the mirror every morning. After reading all your posts and the replies given to you, I am confused as well.

jrw159

EDIT: I truly will help you in any way I can, so if there is something specific, feel free to ask. :-)
Parent - - By KENNY629 (**) Date 06-11-2008 19:03
oh, thanks for the advice, and for looking in the mirror, well it aint pretty at 6am! hahahaha
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-11-2008 19:22
I am glad I have not offended you.

FYI smiley can be done with these : - ) no spaces in between will produce :-)

jrw159
Parent - By KENNY629 (**) Date 06-11-2008 19:27
=) better?
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 06-11-2008 19:25
Kenny, Thanks for having a good sense of humor.  Keep on keepin on.  Hang in there and you will catch your big break!!!
Parent - - By KENNY629 (**) Date 06-11-2008 19:28
sense of humor is my middle name!!!!   =)
Parent - - By mountainman (***) Date 06-11-2008 20:33
i respect that, you have to find atleast a little humor in anything.
Parent - By flamin (**) Date 06-12-2008 01:45
You need to think now, "what" qualifications were they talking about?

Employers look at more than just techincal qualifications. Now I'm not implying that you fall under any of these categories, but I would just like to say a few things based on my experience.
I've been a shop foreman for a few years, and so I am always involved directly or indirectly with the hiring of new employees. Now I will admit, I am not the best judge of charcter, so it's challenging for me to meet someone one time, and be able to tell whether or not they will work out. But anyway, some of the things that we look for in potential hires, besides their technical abilities, are-

-Attitude, are they enthusiastic about wanting to work, or are they just looking for a paycheck.
-Hygene, is a factor, sad to say, but it can really afffect a first impression. Clean cloths and combed hair can go a long way.
-People who act like they know it all. Many times people think they can fake their way through once they are hired, so they claim to have done everything but fly to the moon, then once they have had an opportunity to prove themselves, it soon becomes obvious that they aren't quite as experienced as they said they were.
-Honesty. Be truthful, It's okay to say "I don't know". It's much better than saying you do know, then looking like a fool when it becomes obvious you don't know how to do somthing you said you did.
-Dress appropriate. Just because it's a machine or weld shop, doesn't mean torn jeans or cut off tee shirts is okay. (Unless you look like Daisy Duke :) )

Now the way our company looks at things, these are alll qualifications for hire.
Just somthing to think about.

Jason
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / YOU WANNA HERE SOMETHING FUNNY?