Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What the pay should be on pipe welding
- - By cwf07 (***) Date 06-11-2008 18:05
Well 1st. I enjoy this site I have learn a lot and alot of good people on this site and I would like to say thanks for all the help. Okay the problem is I do structural steel on bridges works going pretty good ben doing it for about 14 yrs now. I been wanting to do pipe welding but here in GA. not much call for it. But any way I talk to a company here in GA. that puts in gas line they got a job going on they are needing welders on so I talk to them they give me a 12" .250 butt slice test about 2 weeks a go I pass know they want to put me to work but they don't want to pay but 35.00 an hr and they provide the rods and fuel. I have my on rig truck and get 60.00 and hr on bridges. On one hand I thank I will stay with bridges, but on the other hand this could be good experience for me to learn alot more about pipe welding. Would like yall input on this. And I didn't think pipe welding could be that hard but I was wrong my hat is off to all yall pipe welder out there its is alot hard than I ever thought and got me alot more interesting in it.
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 06-11-2008 18:34
35 straight? No rig, no per diem? You can definately do better. But maybe its a local job?
Parent - By cwf07 (***) Date 06-12-2008 02:03 Edited 06-12-2008 02:07
I am using my rig and they are paying for motel rods and fuel. Its about 2hrs from were I live at and I haven't agreed to take the job yet I am still thinking about it.
Parent - By rick harnish (***) Date 06-11-2008 18:40
Certainly would be a learning experience, if nothing else. 35 an hour to hone your pipewelding skills. Congrats on passing the bellhole, by the way.
Parent - By psyco33 (**) Date 06-11-2008 20:11
Very tough to break into. I know
lots of disapointments just trying to pass test.
two slow
not pretty enough
4mins late   can't test.
CWI  didn't want to work saturday  so, failed everyone who showed up. ( nice guy huh?)
all kinds of crazy things can happen.
psyco33
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What the pay should be on pipe welding