Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Welder Qualification Help
- - By garygfc Date 06-11-2008 18:22
Welders at are shop are qualified per. D1.1 2006, using figure 4.21 for unlimited thickness. This test is preformed with backing. A question has been raised by an outside inspector regarding are production welds. We are welding single bevel groove welds in a tee connection. The welds are done by welding the groove side first then backgouging 2nd side and welding. The inspector has told me that are welders are not qualified because the welder qualification test they took says qualified with backing, so they are only allowed to make these welds if they use a steel backup bar. Questions: Is the weld metal deposited from the first side considered backing? If I do need to requalify welders what qualification test plate should I use? If we are using the weld metal as backing does it require a new wps to be written? I have shown the inspector in D1.1 where welding groove welds from one side with backing also quailfies welding from second with backgouging. He is not questioning are wps only welders qualifications and the use of backing.
Thanks in advance for any help on this. 
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 06-11-2008 18:45
look at the essential variables for performance qualification
Parent - By Duke (***) Date 06-11-2008 22:31
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-11-2008 23:11
I think after you look this one up, you will feel much better about the whole ordeal.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 06-12-2008 13:48
I'd say your good with what welder quals you have at the present time.  Your joint is a PJP at first which your welders are qualified for 1st off.  You then gouge a "grove type" which is not an essential variable for welders by whatever means available and then they weld up the joint with a weld metal backin which again they are qualified for.  Hope this sums it up in a nutt shell for ya.;-)
Parent - By garygfc Date 06-12-2008 20:57
Thanks for the post. We now have this resolved.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Welder Qualification Help