Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / What determines what needs to be inspected to code?
- - By Kix (****) Date 06-12-2008 15:25
   I guess what I'm asking is, would something non structural (rinky dink parts), say an aluminum dash board or arm rest for a truck really need to be inspected to code?  I know they still need to have good welds on them so they don't break later, but what about some of the acceptance criteria like bead reinforcement on flush butt welds and thin square groove welds and such.

Thanks, Ray C.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 06-20-2008 14:37
it's my understanding what ever governing body has oversight on your field or product determines the neccessity of code inspection. Sometimes that's a customer other times it's a government agency (such as determining the quality of handrails etc). Now for some rinky dink parts etc I believe it's more an issue of liability as in if the truck crashes and someone bumps a noggin on said dashboard you might have an issue.
Then again I could be off base, I'm sure there's something on some book somewhere pertaining to aftermarket car parts
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-20-2008 15:16
ANSI/AWS D8.8 Specification for Automotive and Light Truck Components Weld Quality-Arc Welding. 2007 is the current revision.

jrw159
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 06-20-2008 15:48
Hey john, Would you happen to know where I can get a copy of ANSI/AWS D8.8?  Is there a free PDF lurking out there somewhere in cyberspace?
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-20-2008 16:09
Kix,
  Not right off the top of my head, but I will see what I can find. AWS bookstore price is $52.00 I have a 1997 copy but I have no real need at this time for current revision. I did a quick search that resulted in nothing on the free side, but I will look some more.

John
Parent - - By Richard Cook (**) Date 06-20-2008 17:09
AWS publications as such will not be found for free download.
If you were a member of AWS you could get it at membership price of 75% list price

you might find someone that will pirate you a copy but that's copyright issue you don't want to get into

Each AWS section has a library set up, or should, and they may check it out to you, our section in Utah maintains the full set of AWS publications and work it like a public library.

But if you want ot buy AWS publications do it through th local AWS Section because the profit earned goes to local scholarships in your area.

check the AWS website for your local section
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 06-20-2008 18:04
I'm part of the District 12 committee so I'll ask Sean Moran if he can let me borrow the publication.  Thanks for the info guys!!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / What determines what needs to be inspected to code?