Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / OLD School!
- - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-12-2008 22:13 Edited 06-12-2008 22:23
Here's a dandy. 12" SCH. 80. Came off a friend's employer's scrap pile. Great root penetration here!! Gave it to me so I could admire it! :-) LOL. I'm going to get practicing & get some pipe welding in here in the next month or so. I think it will fit in my lathe to spin the bevels after I torch it up. 16" swing, shouldn't be a problem. Don't have the luxury of a flame cutter. Wish me luck!!!! I'm gonna need it. I haven't burned an open root for a couple of years!  lol. :-) S.W.                   *Eat 'yer heart out, Flange Jockey!! :-) lol*

"If you got the guts, fu**er, reach for it." (Dan Wilkes, True Identies, Somewhere Close To Home, Book II)
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-13-2008 01:03
:-)
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-13-2008 01:28
I knew you would approve. :-) S.W.

"The Devil and the Priest can't exist if one goes away....It's just like the battle of the Sun and the Moon and night and day......." (Disturbing the Priest, Black Sabbath, Born Again LP)
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-13-2008 01:49
What do you mean "approve"?

Who the He** am I to approve? :-)

"It ain't a crime to be good to yourself"  ????
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-13-2008 03:01
What do I mean??? YOU are the MAN! You can approve anything!!!!! Just "rubber stamp" it!!! :-) :-) I knew you would like that pipe, John. Nice 'N code...Just how you like it. :-) Once I get done with it, it will be a work of art. Just not code art, probably, at least, maybe. BRRRRHAHAHAHAHAHA! (Just kidding) S.W.

BTW. The lyrics are Kiss (I Majorly Cheated!!) :-)

"Single Direct Attack, Progressive Indirect Attack, Attack By Combination, Hand Or Foot Immobilization, Attack By Drawing" (The 5 Methods of Attack, Bruce Lee, JKD M.A. System.)
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 06-13-2008 12:18
Got an old cellulose box weave or similar on der.  Old school indeed.  I was working in a refinery boiler house a little over a year ago and saw some fittings with a swastika on them welded with cellulose rods and an oldschool weave.  I bet those fittings might be worth some money to a collector or something.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-13-2008 12:37
I have heard of really old cylinders with Nazi markings on them too. Weird. Kinda scary, if you really think about how close they came to world domination. Too close. I'm betting this pipe was put in the place it came from long before I was ever around. It'll make fine practice material. AND, it was FREE!!!!! Good stuff. :-)

"Kix...Kid tested, mother approved." (Cereal commercial)
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 06-13-2008 15:05
That cereal is how I got my nick name.  good stuff!!
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-13-2008 15:23
The heavy rock band KIXX is cool too! I don't really have a nickname. Maybe that's a good thing though! :-) S.W.

"That, is not logical captain." ( Mr. Spock, Star Trek.)
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 06-13-2008 16:00
"Tinted windows don't mean nuttin, we know who's inside."  ( Run-DMC, It's tricky) ;-)
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 06-14-2008 12:58
those pics made my right elbow ache....cool stuff
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 06-15-2008 05:14
Nice pictures of rusty steel.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-15-2008 16:37
No, they are VERY nice pictures of rusty steel. :-) S.W.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-15-2008 16:40
Were you ever a photographer? The pics are excellant. Not out of focus or off center. :-)
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-15-2008 16:43
No, but I have a somewhat good camera! :-) I can fake it pretty good, huh? S.W.

"Taking a day off from song lyrics" ( Steve Webber, taking a day off from song lyrics.)
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-15-2008 16:45
Even if you do not know what you are doing, you gotta act like you do. LOL :-)

jrw159

BTW, is that expanded metal in the bed as well? If so what is the plan for it?
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-15-2008 17:00
Yes sir, it is expanded metal. I don't know off hand the call out on it, but it's over 1/4" thick & has about 3" diamonds. Unflattened.  I'm going to make a set of ramps for my other flat bed trailer. I got it from the scrap yard. They are 18" X 96". Got 5 pieces for about $36. My local scrap guy's really good to me. I'm very lucky. I figure I'll put heavy angle or channel under it & make some pin hinges to mount to the trailer. No dovetail, I'm afraid though. Just have to do the best I can with it. I have to rent a trailer every time I need to haul my fork truck around. Gets expensive. I suppose at the rate I'm getting my own projects done, I'll have those ramps built sometime around 2010. :-) We'll see! S.W.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-15-2008 17:31
2010, Heck I have a "Honey Do" list that will take that long to finish. :-) You are way ahead of me. LOL

Sounds like the ramps will pay for themselves quickly with the elimination of rental costs.

John
Parent - - By texwelder (***) Date 06-15-2008 18:13
That expanded metal like that goes by the pound per square foot, that looks like either 7lb or 9lb raised, The big stuff is OSHA certified for floor grating.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-15-2008 18:26 Edited 06-15-2008 18:31
That's gotta be it then. I couldn't remember the specs. Thanks for the info!  It's heavy stuff though. Perfect for what I need & the price was real right. :-) S.W.
Parent - - By texwelder (***) Date 06-15-2008 18:32
Perfect for ramps, if you buld enough frame under them. The price was right on that there was more than a full sheet, here in texas that is probally a 150 a sheet now
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-15-2008 18:39
Yeah, I would say around here, probably around $250 easy a sheet. we don't have too many steel suppliers around here & the ones that are have ridiculous prices. We have a pretty good scrap place, though. Steel's about 30 cents a pound. I just got some slick aluminum diamond plate for my "junk iron" rig for about $1.35 a pound. Real nice stuff. I'll post some pics when I get it finished. Us junk iron guys gotta stick together! :-) LOL. S.W.

"I had a dream....A crazy dream.." (Led Zeppelin, The Song Remains The Same, Houses Of The Holy LP)
Parent - - By texwelder (***) Date 06-15-2008 18:49
Is that price to buy back steel or to haul in scrap, its 25 cents to buy back scrap here per lb, and scrap iron, short iron under 3' feet long is bringing $11.00 per 100 lbs
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-15-2008 18:56
Yes, that's to buy it. It was around $200 per gross ton for sheet iron here a few weeks ago the last time I hauled. Enameled (welder Xformer) copper was around $2.95 per#. My cousin is around Fort Worth, he was in Garland for about 10 years before that. We have visited often. Nice place. If you don't mind me asking, where are you in TX? S.W.
Parent - By texwelder (***) Date 06-15-2008 19:27
Bryan/College station, home of Texas A&M University.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-15-2008 18:30
HAHA!! I know how that works. Fortunately, I am not a carpentry guy, so all the house projects just have to wait for "qualified" individuals to do! I hope I can get those ramps done some time this summer. I have to do a mast rebuild on my truck & don't want to do it where I store it at. I guess I'll get it done when I can. School's out, so I have the boy every day too. we'll get it done somehow! S.W.
Parent - - By texwelder (***) Date 06-15-2008 18:35
Those honey do lists will make you pull your hair out sometimes, I have a honey do lists and my own list, a full time job and 60 acres to maintain. Makes me want to vomit sometimes.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-15-2008 18:40
LMAO, I know what you mean brother.

jrw159
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-15-2008 18:41
I would die if I had to mow 60 acres. S.W.
Parent - By texwelder (***) Date 06-15-2008 18:54
Well guys i'm out till later this afternoon, see along with all the other things I have goin, I break and train horeses for a hobbie and money.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / OLD School!