Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Base Metal Edge Washback
- - By berkmanpence08 Date 06-16-2008 23:53
I'm currently involved in a project that is socket welding (GTAW) small diameter tubing (16mm OD X 1.65mm WT) to an adapter with a wall thickness of 1.95mm.  Increasing the WT of the socket adapter is not an option.  Due to the lack of base metal on the adapter, the top edge is being washed out (melted) presenting several problems that I do not have the experience to answer and no one at my company nor the client has been able to either.  I've spent a great deal of time researching standards, but i have yet to come across anything that adresses this issue.

1)  How can you determine the leg length using a fillet gage?  Is this possible? (I'm arguing that it is not)
2)  We have destructively tested several samples.  Since the original adapter wall is no longer there, how do you determine the root (consequently the leg lengths and theoretical throat)?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Attachment: weld.pdf (70k)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-18-2008 01:23
The issue is not that uncommon when welding small diameter or thin walled piping components.

One solution is to scribe a line on the fitting and another on the pipe a set distance from the hub of the fitting. This allows you to establish where the hub was and how much hub material was melted. It also allows you to  confirm the proper pull back was present when the pipe was tacked.

The attached sketch is one I use for my pipe welding course to show welders and inspectors how and where to use the scribe lines. The lower half of the bottom sketch shows how the fillet gage is located relative to the 1/2 inch scribe line and what an under sized fillet weld would look like (even though it looks like it is the same size as the hub).

If your fittings are small, reduce the 1/2 inch scribe line to something less.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By berkmanpence08 Date 06-18-2008 15:00
Thanks Al!  I'm upset that I wasn't able to figure that out for myself.  I guess I (and at least a dozen others) tried to make this harder than it actually was.  The sad thing too is we already scribe a mark on the tube and pull back at least 1/16" to allow for a gap, but we couldn't see how we could expand on the scribing method to give us additional information.  Out of curiosity, is there any standard/code that adresses this?  Thanks again, really appreciate it!
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-18-2008 15:40
Al,
A fly in the ointment, or just buzzin. :)
Wishing to further the discussion, let me ask this, when you scribe a line to determine your verification point, your line is based upon the original base metal fusion face (1/2" back). But basing your fillet size verification on the original fusion face is equivelent to basing your verification on the theoretical throat, i.e., the original theoretical unwelded triangle.
Yet engineering calculations are concerned with effective throat. An assumed actual melted metal. The measuring of the fillet leg still assumes a certain depth of fusion. And isn't that the same as I am proposing?
So, wouldn't it be ligit to verify from the top toe of the weld which is more closely related to the effective throat as opposed to the original fusion face.
The problem I see with using the orginal fusion face is that you could have a weld that in actuality is twice what you need (a problem especially on smaller components), given a certain amount of what has been called 'washback' and yet still be verified as too small. The only difference is, your weld deposit is a mix of melted base metal as opposed to just filler metal, which it always is anyway, its just a question of extent, i.e., dilution.
If basing your verification on the top toe of the weld is illigitimate you have to assume that you did not melt the base metal all the way through, sort of a bell shape nugget. In other wods, refusing to assume a certain depth of fusion, which even in your own sketch demonstates you don't make this assumption, and would be consistent with predominant welding results and common fillet symmetry. If you shift your fillet gage to the left until it contacts the toe of the weld you will see that the gage now aligns with the cross sectional visual diagram of the effective throat dimension.
The only other deligitimating argument I can see is that somehow melted base metal is less of a weld, high dilution concerns, etc.
AWS D1.1 Figure 2.1 shows a similar situation. and again, measuring to the top toe is more accurate to the actual dimension of the fillet weld than is measuring from a theoretical throat dimension.

jeff
Parent - By berkmanpence08 Date 06-18-2008 21:37
Jeff,

Thanks for your input as well.  I do have a few questions/comments I would for you to expand on if you don't mind.

It was my understanding that engineers calculated there weld size based on the theoretical throat.  To my understanding, this is what a fillet gage confirms in the case of a concave weld b/c the depth of penetration can not be determined with out destructively sampling.

In the case of a concave weld I don't know how you can determine acc/rej when you don't know where the original fusion face was.

I can see how the effective throat could be calculated, but it was my understanding that engineers calculate the size of the weld based on theoretical throat b/c it will always be smaller than the effective throat, thus the effective throat is essentially becomes a safety factor.

Additionally, how can you determine the depth of fusion if you don't know where the original weld face was?

Regards, BP
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 06-18-2008 15:42 Edited 06-18-2008 15:45
In terms of throat under D1.1 it would be from the root of the joint to the closest distance to the surface as normal. No allowance is given for extra penetration. However I know you can specify a joint with more penetration if you can prove that you can continually achieve that penetration. (as done with SAW.)  The first line would represent the effective throat by D1.1,  the second would probably be closer to the actual throat. The certification process for that is beyond me though.

*Edit* this might count as a skewed joint with that much washback on the top edge that again is out of my area of expertise.
Parent - - By berkmanpence08 Date 06-18-2008 21:42
To my understanding, reading from left to right, the first line you drew would be your theoritical throat and the 2nd would be your effective and actual throat since the sketch is neither convex or concave.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 06-18-2008 21:57 Edited 06-18-2008 22:00
I think I'm going to have to disagree, Per D1.1 the first line would be the effective throat since D1.1 does not allow inclusion of penetration into the base joint into effective throat calculations. Because the joint is so washed away the realistic effective throat is probably closer to that of the second line.
with all that being said that amount of wash away probably makes the included angle within range of what is considered a skewed fillet at which point I believe effective throat is calculated differently or with a limiting factor.

I could be completely wrong though
I'm just an welding engineering intern

*edit* I see what you're saying you're right, the second line would be your "real" effective throat. the first line would be your effective throat calculation as allowed in a prequalified joint. I suppose I'll have to look through my charts again I can't remember what the technical difference between theoretical and effective throat.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 06-19-2008 16:12
Theoretical is the distance from the beginning of the joint root perpendicular to the hypotenuse of the largest right triangle that can be inscribed within the cross section of a fillet weld.

Effective is the minimum distance minus any convexity between the weld root and the face of a fillet weld.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-22-2008 00:18
I would suggest making a few sample welds and etching the cross section to get a more realistic view of how a fillet weld "behaves".

The depth of fusion will be quite different for thin materials versus thick materials. The heat input will also influence the cross section of the fillet weld. Until you cross section a sample, you (and I) can only guess what it looks like.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Base Metal Edge Washback