Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What is rig welding?
- - By Macc53 (*) Date 06-17-2008 04:45
I know it a very lame questoin but I live up in washington st and have no idea what this means. If someone has some insite and maybe pictures that would be great.

Macc
Parent - By texwelder (***) Date 06-17-2008 04:47
It means that a fella has his welding machine and tools on a truck and usually travels from job to job
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 06-17-2008 15:16
Click on this link and read up.  It has some good pictures in there for ya. http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=16403
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-17-2008 15:30
RIG welding is a process not unlike Mig (Metal Inert Gas) welding or Tig (Tungsten Inert Gas) welding wherein a gas shielding is used with a solid wire electode or rod.
Rig inthis case stands for 'Reactive Inert Gas'. It is usually performed using a specially designed OM type (Oxymoronic) power source.  :)
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 06-17-2008 18:53
English being not my mother language, I feel free to ask a couple of questions: 
1. If the gas is reactive, how can it be inert? Or those words have in slang a different meaning according to the position they are in a phrase?
2. What does Oxymoronic mean? Where do oxymoronic generators take their energy from?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 06-17-2008 19:05
I am a moronic power source.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 06-17-2008 19:10
at first I thought you were being sarcastic, but now I think you honestly missed the joke. I'll give you credit though you've learned a second language which is far more than I have accomplished.

1. he was making a joke about how RIG welding (traveling around with a modified pickup) is actually a process. there's no such thing as reactive inert gas. Although technically you can get argon to form bonds with boron...
2. Oxymoronic means something that contradicts itself such as reactive inert gas, smart management or quality weld. oxymoronic generators are usually located in the sales or marketing departments.

cheers
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 06-17-2008 20:26
98/2 Argon/Co2 is a reactive inert gas. ;-)
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 06-18-2008 19:15
Metarinka,
I wasn't sarcastic, I really missed the joke because English isn't my mother language, that's why I asked for help.

Kix,
MIG means Metal Inert Gas, the gas being usually argon or a mixture of helium and argon. Both are chemically inert, i.e., they don't combine with any other substance.
MAG, on the other hand, means Metal Active Gas, the gas being usually a mixture of argon and CO2. Argon is inert, but CO2 is not, it's active (or reactive, same thing) because it reacts chemically with other substances. That's why the mixture is called "active": no matter that argon is inert, CO2 is not and neither is the whole mixture.
So, the "reactive/inert" gas doesn't exist, it's a joke, as others have said in here.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 06-18-2008 19:37
G.S.Crisi,
     I know man, I was just clowning with the rest of these jokers.  Thanks for looking out though!!  I got that acis mix you told me about getting mixed up and shipped to me.  mY company didn't want me to have full blown Hydrochloric acid around for safety reasons.  There no fun..;-)
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-17-2008 20:37
Giovanni,
The key is in 'oxymoronic'. The contradictory terms 'inert' and 'reactive' are an oxymoron.

jeff
Parent - - By texwelder (***) Date 06-17-2008 22:03
You fellas are funny, ya'll come up with some crazy stuff, but seriously a rig welder has many meanings, depends on who you talk to and where your from.
Parent - By and4rik (**) Date 06-18-2008 03:30
funniest dookie I heard all week
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-18-2008 11:23
Good one. :-)
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-18-2008 13:40
The industry realizing that much of the mig welding taking place was actually rig welding (especially in Japan where fabricators could sell their youngest child for a bottle of argon and realize a profit), and realizing that rig welding was a term that caused confusion with the application of rig welding to those, as previously stated, that maintain their own power source on their trucks, as rigs, popular with pipeliners in which case the only gas available is that which is passed at lunchtime and is anything but inert (just funnin with ya fellas) decided that an alteration of terminology was in order. So they developed the term MAG welding for Metal Active Gas. This had the added benefit of segregating those gases such as CO2 and their reactivity from the inerts such as argon and helium.
The American Welding Society not to be outdone, and always endevouring to restore confusion to industry terminology, since confusion is job security for the many consultants (like myself) who populate the society, developed the 'official' term GMAW, and brought the two gas types back together again, and left it to a thing called an Essential Variable (borrowed from ASME who doesn't even distinguish GMAW from FCAW) to distignuish the two.
Now if this is all clear to you then you have certainly demonstrated the aptitute to become an AWS or ASME committee member and I would encouraged you to submit an application for involvment.

Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-18-2008 13:52
:-)
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 06-18-2008 19:31
Aside from the technical answer, I have this to ad. Maybe this is more the answer you are looking for.

Down here on the western slope there is a ton of natural gas and oil drilling going on. A welder with his own mobile unit goes out on these rigs and services them when they are broke down, or need modifications, wellheads, conductor lengthening, etc...

These guys are known as rig welders............
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 06-18-2008 20:08
Rig Welder- "Have rig will Travel"
Parent - By texwelder (***) Date 06-18-2008 20:40
same dang thing i said but some of these guys don't even know what a rig welder is, and they are goining to explain it to somebody else
Parent - - By Macc53 (*) Date 06-19-2008 02:38
ok that is the exact thing I do. I have my welding truck and all the goodies on it. Go out and weld up Irrigatoin pump systems. Most of it is sch 40 3" to 12". Have had a couple jobs on large piping projects that were 30" before it went PVC.
90% of the work I do is with FC.045 wire. Just wish I lived near some of the places you all talk about on here. Love to learn sometimes have to move on to learn more.

Macc
Parent - - By texwelder (***) Date 06-19-2008 04:59
Where you from fella, and yes you are a rig welder, I seen a plumber one time who had a can of primer and pvc glue taped together and said that was his welding machine and he was a rig welder, I guess
Parent - - By Macc53 (*) Date 06-19-2008 13:11
I live and work in South east Washington St around Walla Walla. Love what I do but want to get better!!

Macc
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 06-19-2008 15:53
I spent some time around walla walla pickin asparagus and trying not to get shot....oh and mosel mushrooms - yummy!
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 06-19-2008 13:12
texwelder, I was trying to use a modified quote from an old television (western) called "Palladin" most likely before your time but not mine (I am older than dirt). He passed out buisness cards with a black knight (the horse head from a chess set) and on the card it read "Have Gun Will Travel" very to the point.
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 06-19-2008 14:29
Ron sure hope your not that old, I still remember that show (black&white) and I try to think of myself as not being that old. Was a great show.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What is rig welding?