Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / P-No not listed in ASME IX
- - By bisri.musthofa Date 06-17-2008 14:09
Dear All,
I need suggestion about joining wellhead (API Spec 6A) to casing (API Spec 5CT)
I will make WPS as per ASME IX, with materials above
Both of materials are not listed in ASME Sect IX
Joint type is fillet weld due to slip on with diameter wellhead (flange RTJ) is greater than casing
Welding process is SMAW
Have some suggestions for this WPS?
What kind method to established P-No that are not listed in ASME IX?
What filler metal i have to used?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-18-2008 00:53
You can qualify the procedure to ASME Section IX without a P number, but you will be limited to the material specification of the base metal used as test coupons.

Select a filler metal based on the base metal, i.e., carbon steel is welded with carbon steel filler metal, then match the base metal properties, i.e., tensile strength, elongation, etc. It is common practice to use E70 electrode with 60 ksi steels, E80 electrode with 70 ksi steels, and so on.

You should review API 1104 to see if there are any recommendations listed for welding the line pipe and fittings you are attempting to use.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 06-18-2008 02:46
You need to take a closer look at your material.  For instance, the API 6A specification is a specification for wellhead equipment, but it could be any material making up the wellhead.  You need to find the ASTM or ASME material specification (or vendors specification if it is not an industry standard), then you can look at ASME Section IX to find the appopriate manner to qualify a WPS.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / P-No not listed in ASME IX