Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Translation of weld info on drawings - pls help
- - By DocWriter Date 06-17-2008 14:35
Hello from a newbie from Austria!

I'm a mechanical engineer working in technical documentation. One of my tasks is to make sure that english translations of instructions on our drawings can be understood by our friends in the US.

After quite a lot of searching the WWW, luckily I've found this place - I'd be grateful if someone here could tell me, if these two translations are OK:

German: "Rohrleitungen dicht schweissen"
English: "All pipes full penetration seal welded"

German: "Druckprobe bei 16 bar durchführen"
English: "Perform pressure test at 16 bar (230 psi)"

Vielen Dank im voraus!  (...many thanks in advance!)
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 06-17-2008 15:12
Perform pressure test at 16 bar (230 psi) is pretty clear cut as long as you throw in the psi conversion.  All pipes to be full penetration seal welded is pretty clear cut as long as you have the joint detail on how it is to be seal welded thrown in there.  If so, I'd say your golden!!
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 06-17-2008 16:45
i have to disagree a little with kix on the full pen seal weld. a seal weld is typically a fillet or square groove, that i have seen, for the purpose of sealing a joint. This is to not allow product to get from one side of a connection to the other. On the other hand a full penetration weld is more self explanatory, it is designed to resists loads and forces.
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 06-17-2008 20:02
230 psi sure seems high.  Do some of you guys weld up full pen welds on pipe that carry that high internal pressure?

Well, as I type this I'm thinking to myself that's not really that much in the world of hydraulics.

Nevermind...I've answered my own question....duuuuuhhh  :)
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-18-2008 00:43
My interpretation is they are looking for complete joint penetration with no leaks when tested at the specified pressure.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 06-18-2008 02:07
Oh where, oh where is my pal Stephan??? ;) ;) ;) Oh where, oh where can he be??? :) :) :)

If anyone can interpret this for you - it's most definitely Stephan!!!
Btw, "Weldcome" to the world's greatest welding forum!!! :) :) :)
I know, I know that I sound just a tad biased but, it is what it is!!! "Anywho," GREETINGS from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in the US of A!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 06-18-2008 04:54
I agree with Hogan.  All welds full penetration is clear.  Seal welds should be for threaded connections on pipinig, at least in my experience. 

Our Ace German Partner Stephan is attending prestigious EPRI meetings in Florida, I heard from him this morning, but I would bet he'll be popping in to assist us as soon as he's free!
Parent - By DocWriter Date 06-18-2008 06:51
Gentlemen (guys  :-)),

I'm overwhelmed by the number of responses I'm getting! Thank you very, very much!

The interpretation of "803056" is really what should go on the drawing.
My question is, how to phrase that in a way, that our US-partners will weld the piping correctly!

In regard to another response: this particular piping is for steam; in our hydraulic system, we are talking about 250 bar (about 3600 psi) system pressure!

Once again, many thanks for helping me getting it right!

Best regards from Austria!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Translation of weld info on drawings - pls help