Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Deal or No Deal
- - By sqiggy (**) Date 06-17-2008 15:00
I went and looked at a SA 200 Lincoln yesterday. 1993 model. Comes with leads. Not sure on the amount of feet though. Maybe 25 on the ground and 75 on the lead. Rigged up for a remote, but doesn't have one. Said his brother has one but he is in prison at the moment. Told me he would try to get it and throw it in the deal. Had it tuned up 3 months ago. Welds great and sounds good. No signs of leaks anywhere. Going to the bank today to get a cashiers check made out to him for $3500.
Is this a deal??
Parent - By Stephen32 (*) Date 06-17-2008 17:04
Are you sure his brother wont want his machine back when he gets out of prison... It could be a good deal, but how long did you weld with it? It could take a while before any leaks show up. When it starts getting hot they sometimes loose power also.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-17-2008 18:53
Not all too bad of a price. How many hours? I'm not an engine drive expert, but I would check all the obvious stuff. Air cleaner, plugs, give a good look inside with a flashlight & see if there's any cooked wiring, or anything hacked up. Check the OCV at the terminals with a meter. You can always have a load test done on it too. Like Stephen said, make sure you get a receipt & bring a friend along to witness the deal. I know it sounds a little quirky, but if the brother gets outta prison & accuses you of stealing his machine, you got a witness you can take into a courtroom. Of course, if someone , fresh out of prison came knocking on my door accusing me of stealing his machine....Well, I think you know who the cops are going to side with. If it turns into an issue....Sam Colt's handy for some parole violator that's threatening you. :-) Good luck on it. S.W.
Parent - - By sqiggy (**) Date 06-17-2008 22:03
First, it's not the brother that is in prison. I am buying it from the guy who owns it. The guy in prison only has the remote. He had given it to him before he got "sent up". He is just going to get it back. I looked the machine over real good. Nuthin "Rednecked Engineered" on it. He had been pipelinin with it but took a "shop" job instead for the insurance and retirement plan that company has. His dad retired from 798, but came back out for the $$$. He's 71 and still burnin!!!
Now if I can find a truck that will fit the bed I want to buy!!!
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-17-2008 23:21
Sounds like a solid to me! You GO!! :-) S.W.
Parent - - By sqiggy (**) Date 06-18-2008 02:25
Just got back from pickin it up. Come to find out, the brother that is in prison, has his own rig. It was parked in the shop. It looked like a good machine as well.
Now, I am ALMOST ready to put that baby to work.
Parent - - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 06-18-2008 04:52
Good on you.  Good luck!
Parent - By Stephen32 (*) Date 06-18-2008 12:40
Good luck with it. Light up or light out! :)
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-18-2008 12:47
Post some pics up when you get it rigged. Love to see what other guys (& gals, Kaye!) do with their stuff! I would inquire about the other machine. Maybe he can get in touch with his bro & could use some money. Could be had for cheap, never know?????? Flip it for a quick profit & pocket the cash. S.W.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Deal or No Deal