Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Finding Job after Navy
- - By DaveP66 (*) Date 07-23-2001 21:53
Hello, Im currently in the US Navy as a Steelworker. I am certified in SMAW--> Plate all positions 3/16-3/4 in, Pipe 1G,2G 6 in + SCH 80. I also have some experience (seen it tried it and practiced a little bit) in TIG aluminum, steel and SS. As well as maintence experience in SMAW---> aluminum, cast iron, SS. Im looking for some training in GMAW, FCAW next year. And i will be CWI certified next year when i get out. Is there any hope of me getting a decent paying job. I really want out of the Navy. And need to get 15 dollars an hour to get out I live in the Mississippi Gulf Coast area.

David
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 07-24-2001 03:27
You will do well. Just don't sell your skills cheap, most jobs will want you to test up front.

You may have to spend some time welding coupons for potential employers and if you do a 6G you got a bargaining chip.

That way you know something about what they want and what they are willing to pay for it.

You got the right idea, the more you know and can do the more you are worth.

Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-24-2001 13:22
I would think you should have no problem. I worked construction when I got out and the money was good. It's a much different environment than the military.

Look around your area for paper mills, power plants etc, and check with the local job service. Your other military training and experience may help you get a job in a maintenance environment.

I hope you do well

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By DaveP66 (*) Date 07-25-2001 01:10
Thanks for the imput guys. Ron, i know what you mean about getting more pipe positions. In my pipe class i failed the 5G because of a little too much reinforcement on the cover pass in two areas(3/16 as opposed to the 1/8 max. ) i know i can do it just that damn 5-7 o'clock area gets me :) ) the thing i really need to stay keyed on is the roots. I can do them now...but with welding jobs in the navy requiring 100% penetration are far and few between...By the way, if i get my CWI, will employers look at me any better as a welder...like not getting the lowest job....or could that put me more towards the top end?

David
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-25-2001 17:03
I would suggest that if you are a CWI and taking a welding test, don't mention it to the guy giving you the test.

Good day

Gerald Austin
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 07-25-2001 17:12
Amen!
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 07-25-2001 17:30
If you want money, practice your welding skilles and you can move up the wage ladder a little faster.

I being an employer (and CWI) would tell you Untill you have a few years behind you a CWI will not be fully appreciated. Passing the test is one thing it proves you have the essential knowledge and can learn and interpret code, being a well versed and reliable source is another, and that comes with experience.

You fail visual? Did they bend the cupons? You will find where ever you go they do things there own way as long as they stay with in the confines of there code.

Parent - - By DaveP66 (*) Date 07-25-2001 21:02
PipeWelder. Im not sure what you meant...if im a CWI and i send out resumes for jobs as a CWI and or Welder. I would put that on my list of qualifications correct. And second what would that do if i told the tester i was a CWI. Seems he might know who i am...and what quals i have before he gives me the test.

Ron. your question on my test. i failed a visual on my 5G pipe test. i had too much buildup on my cover pass. It was like a 1/16th too high in to areas..i think like the 5 and 7 o'clock. I did not cut out coupons. In my cert classes we have to pass a full visual before we cut any coupons out. If there is any visual flaws....any at by the code for structual steel. We do not get to bend them..they get rejected and thrown out. Im guessing the civilian world works the same way.....since we are using the same code...something like DD 1.1

Yes i do practice any chance i get...like here in the navy its all free...and we have tons of A36 plate laying around...so i do all kinds of positions.

my question is...when i apply...will they look at me better than somepeople since i have 5 years of exp. in Structural steel and a CWI cert? and maybe pay me a little more...or give me more responsibilities?
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-25-2001 22:53
There is a possibility that an inspector may have a bias when interpreting the test results of an individual that could possibly replace them. Don't hide the fact. Just bear in mind the above.

Parent - - By DaveP66 (*) Date 07-26-2001 02:35
so in other words...put it on my resume or application....and then just be quiet about it. :)
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 07-26-2001 15:17
Yes! But!
You have'nt passed the test yet! Word of advice.
The test will prove that you are an INSPECTOR not a welder.

Also be aware the test is not a "walk in the park" just because you know something about welding dosent mean you know about inspecting.
Inspecting is a different mind set than welding.
Bare that in mind when you do take the test, it is designed to test your ability see past the end of your nose and not take things for granted.

And what I was thinking is the problem with "Reinforcement" should be easy to over come if you have the rest under control. You can modify you line of vision or travel easy enough to over come it.

Parent - - By DaveP66 (*) Date 07-26-2001 16:40
hmmmm...im getting confused...LOL

if i take a welding test...lets say they want me to do a 2G pipe fixed....then thats what ill do....so why would they want to prove that i am an inspector....i didnt quite understand your first paragraph. I dont know if we are confusing eachother....i thought if i was applying for a welding job...and had a CWI that might give me a little edge on someother people...and for the future...ill be ready to inspect when called on...and with some experience.

im aware of the test not being a "walk in the park" i always treat the tests very seriously....i try to make every weld i make perfect....i get nervous on tests....maybe someday ill overcome that.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 07-26-2001 19:55
My mistake,
I didn't mean to infer an employer would want you prove that you are an inspector, I meant the CWI test will prove you can inspect.

And to cover that base let us make sure YOU understand that to become a CWI you must pay the AWS a fee which will allow you to take a written 6 hour exam, 1/3 of it will be Open Book on the welding code you select and you must provide your own code book.

But in many industrys Inspection is a department by its self.
In this way Production control can not hold sway over Quality control, there fore you are one or the other but seldom both.

After all you can only serve one master at a time. Also CWI by its self is not as impressive to some folks with out one of those Level tags to go with it. Never met an unlevel inspector. And for some reason most welders do not like having there mistakes pointed out to them, some kind of character flaw I guess.

I would describe CWI as a fork in the road for some folks, especially old folks like me that feel there has to be a better way to put my knowledge and experience to use.
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 08-08-2001 14:32
Hi Dave,
I did 4 years in the Navy as an HT (A school and C school 4954 coded welder). When I got out and went to find a job, I found out real quick how much I did'nt know about welding/fabrication. I was able to use the fundamentals of welding learned in the Navy, but out in the real world, every place you go has a different way of doing things. I've found that the most valuable employee is a combination hand. In other words, someone who can weld and fit. Welding/Fabrication is a trade or a uniqe craft, and if you want to excel, you have to want to be a real craftsman who takes pride in creating quality products. After I felt like I had a good understanding of the various aspects of the trade, then I got my CWI , went into Inspection and Quality Control. That has made me a valuable employee and I feel like I have a leg up on someone who has a CWI, but little or no expierience.
The Gulf Coast is coverd with Shipyards, Oilfield Fabrication yards, and every other kind of fab shop you can think of. Most are having trouble finding qualified Craftsmen, and will let you earn while you learn. Flux Core and Mickey Wire (FCAW and GMAW) are the big things down there. I would suggest you practice on those before you get out so you can get hired as a welder first off instead of as a helper. Most places will expect you to pass a Vertical and Overhead full penetration plate test to get hired. A hand who knows how to Carbon Arc Gouge (CAC) is also a big plus. Also practice using a cutting torch to cut, bevel, and wash. A good way to practice is to take an I-beam, cut and cope it so that it fits back into itself in a "T" formation, and then seal weld it in position. If you can do that well, and quickly, you can start off for more money (depending on the company, between $15 to $20 an hour). The best way to make more money starting off is to get with a company who has a lot of overtime. If you can hang, 60 to 80 hours a week, you can pull down some dough. It's hard though! Hot, exhausting, strenuous, dangerous, and dangerous, and very dangerous. You have to be aware of what's going on around you at all times and use all the safety precautions to keep from getting hurt.
The best suggestion I can give is to check out the working conditions before signing on to a new job. There are some real shit-holes out there who don't care a bit about working conditions, they just want mindless slaves.
By the way, all those jerks in the Navy who try to tell you that you can't make it on the outside are just brain washed idiots who don't have a clue.
If you want to work in New Orleans, call Larry Moss at Universal Labor Services. 504-368-7884. That would be a good way to get started until you get a feel for the Industry.
Good Luck!
Tim Gary
Parent - - By EVEREADY Date 08-31-2001 06:16
Hi Dave,
As a current CWI and and past Welding Instructor and welder/fitter I would suggest that before you consider taking the CWI exam you should jump into a position as a welder. Get to know the industry. Spend a few years fine tuning your skills as a craftsman before you take on the challenge of inspecting the work of experienced welders. In the meantime learn all you can about welding in general and read as much material as you can get your hands on about Nondestructive Testing and Inspection. If you feel that you are ready to take the CWI exam now I highly recommend that you attend the CWI exam preparatory course given by The Hobart Institute of Welding in Troy Ohio (two weeks, 8 hours a day plus several hours of study in the evenings--very intense!) it costs $1245.00 and is worth every penny.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 08-31-2001 14:17
If your not ready to shell out the bucks for the course try the Welding Handbook Volume 1.

The majority of information in the test is contained in that book. Of course you can't read it in 40 hours but I am positive that you will gain much more.

Never Study to Pass. Study to Learn.

Good Day

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By DaveP66 (*) Date 09-06-2001 23:30
thank you both for your reply...i am going to buy the study guide off our instructor here...and study it while im on deployment...he holds a CWI class...its about 2 months long...then when we are ready he calls for a test date....the instructor is CWI and is very very good...every one he has sent to take the test after his course has nailed the CWI...and became certified....

i do agree with you on going into the field and welding first....i can see how it will help me in many ways....and especially if i would have happen to run in to a person that was welding for 12+ years and having him inspect his welds with my mear 5 years exp.

as in the mean time...i get all the info i can on welding...i love to do it...and want to do it for a carreer...for the love of it...i just hope i have the skills to land a decent job when i get out....i think about that every day..."am i good enough" i am one of the best welders in our command....but...thats here...not on the outside world
Parent - By thomas_1999 Date 12-06-2001 15:33
If you really like it as much as you say, you'll go far.
I'm a CWI and State of Ohio approved pipe welder. I was lucky enough to be employed by a company that paid my training at the Hobart Institute of welding Tech. for the 2 week course to prepare for the exam. I started out welding structural steel at a power plant after a short crash course "100 hours" in welding. And progressed from there. Now I am the site Senior QA/QC and enjoy it very much.
Put ALL your training and experience on your resume, The HR guys aren't going to test you! It is possible to intimidate the Inspector by stating your CWI which could make your test a little tougher e.g. time limits "no exceptions" no repairs permitted etc. In my opinion the tests should resemble field work in that I mean if you make a slight mistake, and they permit you to make a repair and are able to thats great.
I hope this uncomplicates things, Just relax and show them what you got and don't be afraid to ask questions. The unasked ones may get your job!
I'd say good luck but I think your desire will get you where you want to be.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Finding Job after Navy