Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Certification
- - By joseph d moss Date 06-18-2008 00:50
I passed a 6G test using E71TGFG. The wire I used was NR212.  Does this allow me to weld with 203 & 232 wire?
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-18-2008 03:03
Welcome to the forum Joseph

If you qualified to AWS D1.1  you are qualified in all positions for plate and pipe with the 6G.

As far a fillers go,  you are qualified for self shielded and gas shielded FCAW on plain carbon steel.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 06-18-2008 05:25
Hello joseph, as Lawrence stated you are qualified according to the D1.1 code, however, if you are welding to seismic requirements that specify the NR232 wire or other qualified wires you will not be qualified. These are included under specific FEMA requirements in certain geographical areas or for jobs being erected in areas that fall under these additional requirements. Hope this sheds additional light on your question.  Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-18-2008 12:41
Alan,

Do welders themselves have to requalify if they are working on a FEMA job with special wire?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 06-18-2008 13:14 Edited 06-18-2008 13:35
Hello Lawrence, I have tested welders with specific wires such as Esab 8 or NR 232 even though they were already qualified to D1.1 unlimited for dual shield and self-shielded wires and the paperwork included the specific wire designations and only qualified them with a specific wire manufacturer type. I can't say specifically how this works in relation to D1.1, yet these folks were sent in by their contractor to perform these qualifications to meet a specific job's requirement which was apparently covered by one of the FEMA specifications on that particular job. Best regards, Allan

EDIT: This testing was a WABO certification for Washington state so I don't know how this would apply to AWS certifications.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-18-2008 20:59
Alan,

Thats good to know.  I count on your experience to keep me from unpleasant surprises I might experience without your valuable help!
Parent - - By Richard Cook (**) Date 06-19-2008 16:30
note

FEMA is on it's way out, start refering to AISC-341 and AWS D1.8, some jobs will specify FEMA and I have been successful on getting them convinced to use the new standards AISC 341 can be downloaded off the AISC.ORG site along with other standards they publish. These standards cleaned up FEMA and made it a standard that in my opinion is easier to understand.

AWS D1.8 does not impose any additional welder performancce requirements with the exception of the type test (restricted access) but they get specific in the WPS issues and the welder should be tested with the procedures used in the work (5.1.2). So it could make a difference as stated previously.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-19-2008 19:32
Richard,
Excellent. At least there will be someone to refer to if you have an issue, which of course wasn't the case with FEMA. I always loved the way they just dropped a bomb and then disappeared in the wind.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 06-19-2008 23:40
Hello Richard, thanks very much for the update. Oddly enough I have only done this sort of testing on a couple of individuals and haven't done any more since then. This was approximately 5 to 6 years ago. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Certification