Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / railings
- - By sandman Date 06-18-2008 15:13
Hi all this is my first posting. but have been reading for a long time and it's been a lot of help. thank you all. but now I need some help. what type of weldor qualifcation do I need if I'm making gardrails (2" pipe with 1/2" round bar and base plates) the spec. says it falls under d1.1
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 06-18-2008 19:20
The spec is right, as guardrails are to be regarded as structural steel and not as pipes.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
P.S. Are you over 60? if so, you must remember that "Mr. Sandman" was a song that made a great success in the voice of Doris Day
Parent - - By sandman Date 06-19-2008 11:03
ok if i'm reading code right (table 4.10 and table 4.11)  dose that mean if I test with 4" pipe 3/8" thick 6g position groove per fig 4.24 that I would be covered for 3/4" to 4" pipe or tube with nominal plate, tube or pipe thickness of 1/8" to 3/4" in all positions? so that should cover me for most gaurdrails.
thanks sandman
p.s. under 60 but injoy 50's and 60" music
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 06-19-2008 19:14
I respectfully disagree with the professor.  Guardrails are not part of the structural package in accordance with the AISC Code of Standard Practice.  Structural items are listed in Section 2,  2.1 Definition of Structural Steel.  This section lists all items that are structural elements.  Guard rails are not included on this list.  2.2 Other Steel, Iron, or Metal Items are also listed.     
Parent - - By Richard Cook (**) Date 06-19-2008 20:32
but remember he did say the Spec called out D1.1 so it would be applicable
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 06-19-2008 20:37
Agreed.  Although not part of the structural package, the weld quality of our stairs, rails, and misc. "non structural" items are in accordance with D1.1.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-20-2008 14:27
Many railings fall under the "life safety" requirements of various codes and federal regulations. My experience is that they refer back to AWS D1.1 for hand rails, fire escapes, ladders, stairs, etc.

I agree the railings are not covered by AISC, but that doesn't mean other codes can't reference AWS D1.1 or D1.2, etc. As a matter of fact, our friend Kix builds fire fighting equipment; there is more than one NFPA standard that references AWS welding codes and standards. One of them references AWS D1.1 and D1.2 for aerial ladders and towers and ASME for pressure piping.

Welding encompasses much more than just structural steel and the AISC SCM.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 06-20-2008 16:10
I'm aware of that.  Our contracts reference any welding we perform to be per D1.1.
Parent - - By sandman Date 06-20-2008 17:15
ok I understand what you are saying but I still not sure if my question was answered
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 06-20-2008 17:58
Sorry.  It wasn't answered.  It sounds to me like basic fillet welds.  How are you planning to position these rails for welding?  
Parent - - By sandman Date 06-20-2008 18:23
with the gaurdrail laying flat on steel horses but are some pipe butted to pipe (read my second post would that apply)
thanks all for the input
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 06-23-2008 17:37
I might have to disagree with Mr. Crisi as well...
I thought the original version of "Mr. Sandman" was recorded by the Chordettes
Jinny (Lockhardt) Janis, Nancy Overton, Lynn Evans (Mand), and Carol Bushman  (not Doris Day)
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 06-23-2008 20:03
Scott Norris,
thanks to you, I've learned that AISC doesn't consider guardrails as being structural steel pieces. OK, I won't argue with such a prestigious entity as AISC.

Sandman,
even if guardrails aren't structural steel, the purchasing specification says that the welding procedure must be approved per AWS D1.1 and so you must follow it.

Bill M,  
actually, here in Brazil Mr. Sandman became famous in the voice of Doris Day. In the USA it was through the Chordettes.

Giovanni S. Crisi 
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / railings