Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Included Angle Symmetry
- - By Michael Bennett Date 06-19-2008 15:43
I have a Fabricator who wants to bevel one joint edge at 15 degrees and the other at 30 degrees to meet the 45 degree included angle requirement of joint B-U2a-GF (single "V"). Welding is to D1.1. Are there any requirements, references or standard shop practices that can be inforced to mandate symmetry of the joint angle?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-19-2008 16:00
I'm curious why you would be against it.

This may be a good thing ..."if" the joint is welded while standing on the side of the joint with the larger 30* beveled material, otherwise the shallow bevel of 15* may make it more difficult for the welder to get good access and penetration at the root between the backing bar and the 15* beveled material.

But I don't know of a reference to point you to mandate the symmetry you want.
Parent - By Michael Bennett Date 06-19-2008 16:48
John, thanks for your response.

Weld is in the flat position and access to the root should not be an issue. The engineer on this project assumed symmetry was mandatory and asked me review the code and make outside inquiries. Your response has reinforced my comments to the engineer.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 06-19-2008 16:54 Edited 06-19-2008 16:58
A very good question.  3.13.1 Joint Dimensions addresses limitations.  Symmetry is assumed, but since there is no centerline shown through the joint detail, and without dimensions to indicate symmetry, it seems to me that as long as the groove angle is within tolerance, it's still acceptable based on no opposing code verbiage.  However, you may want to run your question by the EOR to see if he/she might take issue with the 15/30 configuration, but like John, I don't know of anything that won't allow it, although it's not something we practice.  We base our groove angles off the joint centerline on everything... doglegs, etc.

Edit:

You posted a response as I was typing mine.  
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-22-2008 00:33
There is no symmetry requirement that I know of. Consider the horizontal groove butt joint. The prequalified joints depicted in AWS D1.1 show the bevel angle in the upper member, with a square edge for the bottom member.

I actually prefer a slight bevel in the lower member when the groove is horizontal because it allows the slag to run free of the root area when using SMAW or FCAW. There's less opportunity for slag to become entrapped in the corner of the root with a slight bevel angle on the lower member. 15 degrees usually works very nicely.

Now comes the fun part. How do you specify the groove angles using a welding symbol when the two bevel angles are not the same? It can be done, but it can cause you to stop and scratch your head a bit.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Included Angle Symmetry