Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / H2S Service
- - By Hojo (*) Date 06-19-2008 18:37
Does anyone know if H2S Service is considered Hydrogen Service per API 600 Specifications?
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-19-2008 19:27
Don't know anything about API 600, but what does the H stand for?
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 06-19-2008 22:28
If you have H2S (hydrogen sulfide) in valve service, you might need to look at NACE MR0175 or MR0103 for hydrogen service requirments.  However, I'm not familiar with API 600 to say what it's requirements for hydrogen service are.  Wouldn't it depend on the partial pressure of the hydrogen?
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-20-2008 14:13
Not only partial pressure but volume percent and other variables as well. If memory serves 50ppm has been a rule of thumb for minimum volume percent threshold. Although I do not believe there is a great deal of data to support this particular threshold specifically(which is obviously quite low), there is quite a voluminous literature on specific alloys and specific services that support it in general.
Just a WAG here but uhm thinkin if there is a concern for H2S you need to have a response consistent with hydrogen service. It also seems reasonable to me that it is incumbant upon the end user and their engineering to determine if its hydrogen service.
As always, anything to do with corrosion is very service specific and cannot be accurately commented on in the general.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 06-20-2008 15:24
Man, you'd never be able to tell that you did this for a living.. lol ;-)  Wow, would ya look at that, I've got some more ICE added to my rank.lol
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 06-20-2008 20:18
[deleted]
Parent - By Hojo (*) Date 06-24-2008 17:17
Thanks Guys for all of the input. I will have to go back to my Project Engineer and make him find out all of the particulars on the contract. I just don't want to end up wrong on this.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / H2S Service