Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Questions about pipelining.
- - By Sharp Tungsten (**) Date 06-19-2008 22:07
First off let me say I know a little bit about welding as a Union Boilermaker. We weld tubing and plate by trade. But when the pipefitters aren't looking we do not mind welding pipe either. But I still really don't get how pipelining's internals work. I understand that you guys weld oil, gas and water pipes in the feild with engine driven welders. I assume that you are working along with operating engineers and laborers. Maybe even carpenters for scaffolding needs I do not know. My big question is how many pipelining companies are there out there?  The one thing that boggles my mind from a union stand point is how can one local control all but 7 states in America? I am not saying that the 798 is doing anything wrong but damn that has to be a big work list for the dispatchers. Or does the 798 dispatch through regular UA fitters locals? I hear alot about the 798 but never hear them talking about the international union which I would believe is the UA correct? Is most pipeling non-union compared to union? What exactly does the 12 on 12 branch test comprise of? My good friend and I are serious about doing pipeling in our off time. Now if you don't already know boilermaking is the best part time job you will ever get. Usually six months off and six months on. But I am interested in pipelining and if I like it enough maybe even a career change I don't know. I am proficient with XX10 series electrodes and very skilled with XX18 electrodes. But we put are roots in with Tig usually unless we are doing window welds which we use 7010 for that application. I am not foolish enough like most other welders to say I am going to jump in there and keep up with seasoned pipeline pros. I am just saying that I am not afraid of telling you guys I can weld a little. I am sure the there are things a Boilermaker can weld that a Pipeliner would have no expierience with and vice versa. I am just a little curious on how the whole industry goes. Is there alot of work in the north east? Or is it mostly Texas and Blue Sky states? I wouldn't even reject to start off as a helper and get to know the ropes. I am sure that I would need to do a little adjusting to get used to more bellhole welding with 6010 and honestly we weld mostly uphill. Just curious to what you what you pipeliners do? Thank in advance.
Parent - - By tighand430 (***) Date 06-20-2008 18:01
There are a ton of pipeline companies out there. I couldn't begin to tell the number though. The reason 798 has all but a handful of states is that the the locals gave up their jurisdiction to them and the UA was wanting it to be that way. 798 doesn't hire through regular locals unless they need the manpower, which usually doesn't happen. The hand will still go through 798 but the pipeliners will let the local know that they are looking for men in that jurisdiction to see if they have any members that want to work for them. 798 has BAs for different regions and that's all they take care of. The UA is the international but the building trades and pipeliners usually don't mix very well. 798 wouldn't put any fitters to work years ago but they would work a building trades job if they wanted to. It rubbed alot of people the wrong way, not to mention that alot of the 798 guys don't know how to fit much, tig, or run uphill stick. Don't get me wrong, they got hands that can weld just as good uphill as down, just not alot of them. It's just a different world. Don't know really how much pipeline is union vs non-union. If I gave you a number I'd be lying but I do know alot of the distribution lines are non-union because 798 has a hard on for mainlines and that's what they go for. The 12 on 12 branch is gonna be a tie-in test. You take teo pieces of 12" and run one piece into the middle of the other one at a 90 degree angle with an open butt. Some companies make the welder cut and fit the saddle while others have test pieces made up that just need to be prepped. There's work all over with utilitys expanding and updating. Alot of the work in Texas and out west is in the gas fields. Alot of collector lines, compressor stations, and mainlines are going in because of all the gas they're pumping out. The pipelines are hitting real hard right now but it's just like everything else in the pipe trades, feast or famine. I've heard that it's gonna be going hard for about 5-7 years then it'll taper off. And remember, you've got first flange, weld or 18" off that boiler. The rest is mine. LOL
Parent - - By Sharp Tungsten (**) Date 06-21-2008 04:29
Tighand we both know that after the first flange it is yours but it doesn't always work that way LOL. I know are unions  have clashed in the past but like we said in another  post we'd rather work with each other than have ironheads on the premises. My father was non-union as a pipeliner in the 60's but he said it paid well. He said just stay where your at but I just want to see what pipelining is all about. My father said it is just plain old stick welding for production basically. I guess you never weld stainless or other exotics in that feild of welding. Thanks Tighand for the response. I see know one is jumping on this discussion.
Parent - By tighand430 (***) Date 06-21-2008 21:00
Dont' worry, I've done tubes in a crude heater before. Nice, new clean work on 317 stainless tube. Best job in that whole refinery we was at besides when we was on the inconel crew. Pipelining pays very good but it takes alot of cash to rig out and it can be pretty hard to get on sometimes cause they're so clikish. It's pretty much just production welding, fast and faster. The only exotics like stainless you'd do would be at a compressor station os meter skid.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Questions about pipelining.