Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / EPRI Conference
- - By Stephan (***) Date 06-19-2008 22:45 Edited 06-19-2008 22:52
To all US American fellas!

After two days of having the honor to enjoying the nuclear sessions with the EPRI Conference it is high time for me to write the following:

I bow my head in greatest veneration before the United States of America and their power plant engineers!

I am overwhelmingly blessed by the Almighty to having had the joy to attend many High-Level Conferences in terms of welding and metallurgy all over the world, but - and I request you all to believe me, since this is my greatest seriousness - I have never attended a conference like even this mentioned one, before!

I mean to remind a post where someone has said that time: "...you americans think you are the center of the world...".

Well Ladies and Gentlemen of even the country I am a welcomed guest of presently.

I honestly guess after these two days in Florida, there is most likely no other nation in the world having that potential of highest educated experts and Know-how as the United States of America!

It was my very personal need to put this enthusiasticly down here in the world's best welding forum!

Thanks and best regards to all of you,
Stephan

EDIT: Must add this, of course! No offence intended to any other nation in the world! It's one world we're living in! But as I said I had two great days and this works :-)
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-19-2008 22:56
Amen, Brother. You will no doubt, enjoy every minute of it! :-) S.W.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 06-20-2008 05:45
To our most esteemed and highly cherished German colleague; Stephan, it's been a true honor for the USA to have you as a guest and I personally feel quite confident that one day, you'll be making some major contributions in our field of study!  I'm sure I'm not the only one who eagerly awaits your every posting!

Thanks for the compliments, it's always nice to hear some good and positive comments when there are so many things wrong in the world!
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-20-2008 13:45
Stephen,
If you are attending the EPRI conferences you are truly rubbing elbows with much of the brilliance of the industry. And whatever info is gleened from those gatherings cannot be assimilated in the couple of days or so of attendance. It takes years.
As for your gracious compliments to Americans in general let me offer this anecdote in response, since it is particularly relevent to EPRI.
In the 60's Americans developed the basic metallurgical technology behind Grade 91 through Oak Ridge Labs and the DOE intending it to be applied to nukies. When the nukies went down, in a manner of speaking, so did interest in that alloy family. A couple of decades later your German brethen recognized the applicability of this alloy family for fossil fuel plants, i.e. Mannesmann etc., and ever since the Germans, not the Americans, have been leaders in the the burgeoning family of alloys from this technology. To use a football metaphor, we fumbled the ball and the Germans picked it up and scored.
Now of course since then the Japanese (Mitsubishi/Sumitomo) and the Americans (EPRI/Oak Ridge/Wyman Gordon)have contributed greatly. But it was the Germans that woke us all up.
And it is a fact that this is not an isolated case.
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 06-20-2008 14:54
You sure are right about that.I'm from Oak Ridge,and my father worked as a physicist at the Oak Ridge National Lab during the development of the Atomic Bomb,and the German physicists' were experts in the field.Hats off to them.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-20-2008 13:48
Stephan,
  Let me start by saying that the USA is blessed to have the presence of people such as yourself, even if only briefly. This is one thing that keeps us what we are.

I will finish by saying, please do not deny us your presence and input, as it is highly valued and respected. I for one always look forward to your input.

Take care,
John
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 06-20-2008 14:31
I'm curious of topics discussed during the conference, can you give us a brief about the nature of the talks
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 06-25-2008 14:51 Edited 06-25-2008 20:59
Metarinka,

first of all, please let me take this response as the opportunity to thank all the great colleagues who have so kindly replied upon my post!

I am blessed by having you all as fellows aside!

Secondly, I would like of course to try to give a brief about the nature and discussions of the conference.

Basically it was the eighth conference been organized and held by the EPRI and as they said, it is a continuously growth recognizable over the last years. This conference was attended by 360(!) experts from all over the world. Oh, please forgive me... 359 experts + myself :-).

Two sessions were held parallel one to another, Nuclear and Fossil. I have attended - with the exception of two presentations - the "Nuclear" session. But as much as I have enjoyed to participate in this session the much I have regret to not having been able to attend the "Fossil" session, since there were excellent papers as well presented. The only presentations in the "Fossil" session I have listened to came from MATSUI and RAGHUNATHAN. MATSUI from Mitsubishi Heavy Industries dealt with the weld overlay of a caloric power station boiler component ("water wall") under using Alloy 622 filler wire. He presented the investigations which led to the final application as the long-term and failure examination results. The second one came from RAGHUNATHAN from TWI Cambridge dealing with Novel Technologies for Repair and Refurbishments in the Power Industry and Case Studies. Very interesting at all.

The "Nuclear" session could be roughly distinguished over the two days I have attended.

The first day was characterized by presentations dealing particularly with metallurgical questions with the very special base and filler metals used in the nuclear industry.

I can remember so well the presentations coming from Prof. Lippold (THE Ohio State University) and Prof. DuPont (Lehigh University) - oh dear the names alone!

Lippold gave two lectures. The first dealt with the investigations to improve the Ductility Dip Cracking (DDC) resistance of filler metal Alloy 52 or 52M. There were some cracking problems observable in the past with these variants and Lippold et al have developed an alloy composition containing 2.5 wt% Nb as 4.0 wt% Mo to increase the critical strain resistance by the factor of 4. Whereas Alloy 52(M) has a critical strain of ~ 2% to initiate first DDC, Alloy 52X-H (so the experimental alloy designation) could be strained by >8% before the first cracks were indicated. By the way, even this experimental composition is already being used meanwhile by the "Special Metals" company and will be commercially available short-term by the trade "Inconel 52MM".

The second lecture from Lippold dealt with the development of IN 52M Overlay for surge nozzle weld repairs. A real practical damage of a surge nozzle was investigated and Lippold and his team have found a way to optimal repair even this damaged component by combining a first layer of AISI 308L buffering with subsequent overlaying with Alloy 52M.

Prof. DuPont whereas held a lecture on welding Gadolinium (Gd) alloyed base metals for manufacturing spent fuel transportation canisters. Gd has the highest absorption rate for fast neutrons and was thus chosen for even alloying the Ni-Base parent material. However, Gd has strong negative effects on the precipitation of complex and brittle phases deteriorating the mechanical properties of the component welded. Nonetheless DuPont and his team have found a way to process the material by defining the optimal range of alloying composition, precipitation kinetics and weldability.

Some further very interesting presentations treating the improvements in developing filler materials under considering the particular aspects and requirements of the nuclear power industry were given.

Also an interesting presentation about using the X-Ray Diffraction method for measuring residual stresses as two presentations of using a process (Underwater Laser Peening) to even mitigate residual stresses as a pre-emptive measure to avoid Stress Corrosion Cracking were held on the first day.

The second day was more characterized by presentations dealing with "Weld Overlaying" as the nuclear people name it. By the way, I can remember very well the discussion in the forum, at that time initiated by js55 and greatly participated by CWI555, dealing with a clarification of technical terminology in the "surfacing" field.

Well, some very particular papers were treated on weld overlay applications and the continuous try to improve handling and quality of even those operations. I was astonished on the tremendous width of different rudiments to weld overlay in the nuclear field and the enormous variety of base and filler metal compositions.

Above the improvement of weld quality another great topic was treated. The increase of efficiency of the weld processes used.

Some very interesting results were shown by using Tandem Wire GTAW doubling the weld deposition rates by holding the weld quality constantly high. However, even though the modern GMAW processes were, and still are, investigated, everything - so far my humble opinion - is still focused upon GTAW which is highly approved as being capable to meeting the highest requirements of the industry. As far as I estimate, the use of GTAW might be as well the medium- or even long-term future and thus the conference has indirectly approved what already has been stated here within the AWS forum a time ago as we have discussed what future GMAW might have within the nuclear power industry by being accepted as an alternative to GTAW.

Well, as you can see. All in all the conference was an enjoyment for me to attend and a certainly unforgettable experience for me as a welder. It is 100% recommendable to visit and participate in the conference and it was worth every cent to having been there.

Before I forget, the conference organization and conduction was outstandingly as well and even here I bow my head before the US-American fellows who were responsible for accomplishing this project.

But the most impressive for me is and remains - and here I would like to quote Jeff (js55) - that I "have rubbed my elbows with much of the brilliance of the industry" over the three days I have been your guest in Florida!

Therefore once again thanks to you all as you are great and excellent representatives of the USA!
Stephan

EDIT: Just forgotten to add somewhat important for all of you who are waiting for some most interesting bedtime reading.

As Prof. Lippold has mentioned there is a new book to be awaited in fall this year. The authors are Lippold, DuPont et al, and the title will be:

"Welding Metallurgy and Weldability of Nickel Base Alloys"  and it will be published with WILEY Interscience!
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 06-25-2008 16:42
x-ray diffraction to determine residual stress seems very interesting indeed. I haven't heard of tandem wire GTAW either, I as a welding engineering student would probably have been lost among the big boys.  Sounds very interesting indeed.
Was there any talk of the inclusion of other hybrid processes in the nuclear industry such as Friction stir welding or GMAW+laser?  My understanding is that F Stir welding can produced high quality automated pipe welds.
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 06-25-2008 18:23
Joel,

thanks for the response and the interesting notes!

First off, please let me attach some links to even the company the lecturer of the XRD presentation did come from. The fellow's name was R. Drake and he came from "Proto Manufacturing", see also http://www.protoxrd.com/. Some information - by the way as been also partially included within his presentation - should be mentioned by attaching http://www.protoxrd.com/xrdinfo.htm, and http://www.protoxrd.com/residualstressinfo.htm. Hopefully I could serve you hereby.

In regard to your question if Laser-GMA-Hybrid Welding was treated. Yes, in so far at least as it has been mentioned in general within the descriptions coming from David Waskey from AREVA NP company, see also http://www.areva.com/. He was the outstanding expert who has represented the development or investigations on High-Deposition Welding processes for large bore optimized overlays, respectively. Besides his excellent results in developing Tandem Wire GTAW, David Waskey described and concluded the examinations in terms of Laser-GMA-Hybrid Welding, the process appears "...very promising". However, there has to be performed lots of additional survey to realize both implementing this process within the Regulatory codes and future process use.

In terms of Friction Welding. Yes, as far as I know there has been held a presentation in the "Fossil" session. The presentation has been titled "Portable Friction Welding Techniques for Power Plants" and has been held by P. Daubell who is with ESKOM Holdings, Ltd.

As I said, unfortunately I have listened to only two presentations with the Fossil session. Therefore I have not seen the explanations of DAUBELL.

But... Sayee RAGHUNATHAN from TWI UK has described some Friction process variants capable to be used at least in the conventional Power Industry within his presentation. As I have the luck to know him personally as an always open, excellent expert and very likeable(!) fellow I suppose that he may agree to me when I am exceptionally distributing the specific information here in the worlds best welding forum. I would like to attach the appropriate passages from his paper hereinafter.

Best regards,
Stephan
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-25-2008 19:08
This may have already been posted but its worth another look. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niVsJPFlg1Y . I'm not a big youtube fan but this is good stuff.
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 06-25-2008 19:55
100% Gerald!

Good stuff!

Never seen a FSW application upon a pipe joint before...

But as it appears it seems to work quite properly.

I'd like to know if there is a slight "concavity" to detect after the joint has been welded or if the seam surface is even with the base material.

There are two adjustments at 1:42 and 2:06 minutes where the rudiment area (full screen used) can be seen a bit closer, and I may be wrong but I mean to see a slight "undercut", at least in the very first fusion area.

But as I say, I may be wrong.

However, nice to see what's feasible meanwhile without... using an arc.

Thanks a lot for the great hint and best to you,
Stephan

Parent - - By 3.1 Inspector Date 06-25-2008 15:04
Germans and Americans......this is great stuff!

"...you americans think you are the center of the world..."......where have I seen that before :)
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 06-25-2008 15:39 Edited 06-25-2008 15:52
Germans and Americans......this is great stuff!

B I N G O* !

*Normally I use to make > 1 word, but in this case I guess, it suffices! :-)
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / EPRI Conference