Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Cad detailing problem.
- - By Metarinka (****) Date 06-20-2008 13:48
anyone here use solid works or auto cad to detail welds? got a problem in solid works, namely there is no edge joint symbol. The engineer who uses solid works said, "I can't detail them, I'll just use a V-groove instead". why he decided on a vgroove for an outside corner fuse weld I don't know, but I'm hoping someone has a solution. I made up a file of custom blocks in auto cad so that wasn't as bad. Any clue I did a google search and only came up with a question on a forum asking the same thing with no solution.

Wouldn't be a big deal but about 50% of our GTAW is outside corner fuse welds and I detail them with an edge weld with melt thru. tired of seeing v-groove and every other imaginable symbol applied to an outside corner.

solidworks 2007 for the record.
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 06-20-2008 14:13
We use the square groove butt weld symbol for edge flange welds where I work.  It is not to ANSI standard, but everyone knows what to do because it has been done that way for so long.  I would rather have it correct though.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 06-20-2008 14:27
yah that's what I was thinking, the welders already pretty much know how it's welded, but I would prefer a clear cut symbol for edge welds
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 06-20-2008 14:52
You could always draw your own custom symbol I suppose.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 06-20-2008 14:59
make a custom block for the symbol?  I could try that, my solid works knowledge is more limited than auto cad
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 06-20-2008 15:52
I don't know how to do it in Solidworks other than drawing it line by line.  It would not take long if you don't have a lot of symbols.  I once made up a set of blocks for Autocad - about 10 years ago.  With a block, you could create anything you want.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Cad detailing problem.