Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / That's a first!!!
- - By bamaCWI (**) Date 06-22-2008 16:55
While performing QA inspection during a recent bridge project I went into the shop to monitor welding parameters. With approved WPS's in hand first I noticed the wire was different than the approved, then the amps were outside the parameters. The welder gave me the WPS's that quality control directed him to use. Read closely.

Approved WPS's: 1/16" E71T1 Dual shield II 71 Ultra, 252 to 315 Amps, 24 to 28 Volts, 13 to 15 travel speed, WPS # 123

WPS in use: 5/64" E70T1 Dual shield R70, 304 to 380 Amps, 25 to 29 Volts, 20 to 23 travel speed, WPS # 123

After discussing the issue with quality control, I was sent to engineering who presented a third set of WPS's with the exact same procedure number and once again different parameters. So now I have three sets of welding procedures with the same number as the approved set but different parameters. That's a first for me.
Parent - - By arrowside (**) Date 06-22-2008 17:19
Is it possible that they are using the same WPS form on their computer, updating the info, but forgetting to update the WPS number?
Parent - By bamaCWI (**) Date 06-22-2008 17:55
Could be, but from the way this fabricator operates it is most likely intentional. WPS number is listed on the shop drawings for each joint. When drawings are approved this way it tends to give them argument. Since all three sets of WPS's were submitted and approved they more or less have little limitation. 
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 06-23-2008 16:55
Are all three qualified?  If they have PQR data then they should be good to go.  Sloppy recordkeeping, though.
Parent - By bamaCWI (**) Date 06-24-2008 22:22
All three sets of procedures have been approved by the client and they have three supporting PQR's recorded 2006, 2007, 2008. The 2008 PQR was run because no welder in the shop could maintain the 20 to 23 inches per minute travel speed required by the other procedures and the QA kept writing them up! 
Parent - - By Gregory Lakics Date 06-24-2008 16:40
As a QA person you should look heavily into your document control (ISO-9000 section 4.2) are the dates even close for the WPS's - I have seen one QA guy write procedures- He then leaves the company a new guy comes in and starts over with old numbers already in use.
Also the qualifying PQR as others have said........are these qualified by 1 PQR - however with the extreme variables you gave it sounds like they could not be (essentail variables too far out of wack).

The QC dude shouldn't be giving the welders WPS's that you don't already have.  If engineering has a third version you need major help with consolidation and unification of the whole Quality Management System's documentation system.

Wow !!!
Parent - By bamaCWI (**) Date 06-24-2008 22:33
They have no quality system....  Of course this was only one of many discrepancies.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 06-26-2008 13:27
That sounds like shell game however - while there may be many reasons for the differences, the key point from what you mentioned is the welding is not in accordance with the approved WPS you were provided with.

If there has been a revision, or if alternate WPS's have been approved for the project, someone in that company must be able to provide the backup to support that. Either way, I would check with the owner contact to see which WPS they think is approved for use.  If there is a "difference of opinion" then the fabricator and the owner need to solve that problem and the owner needs to let you know which is correct.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / That's a first!!!