Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / BS EN 5817 lack of penatraction
- - By matin08 Date 06-23-2008 10:49
Hi all, this is my first post on this forum, hello to you all.

my question is regarding Fillet welds, lack of penetration / fusion

If you macro a fillet weld, is there a given requirement for depth for  penetration?.

In BS 5817 regarding lack of penetration, in level C there is a figure calculated for lack of penetration, example a8 = 0.8mm. But where is this measurement taken. Ie, if the pen depth should be 1mm and is now 0.2mm. 

And for the same weld, "not permitted" in level B is what depth at the weld toe?
Parent - - By 3.1 Inspector Date 06-23-2008 14:38
If you macro a fillet weld, is there a given requirement for depth for  penetration?.......NO

In BS 5817 regarding lack of penetration, in level C there is a figure calculated for lack of penetration, example a8 = 0.8mm. But where is this measurement taken. Ie, if the pen depth should be 1mm and is now 0.2mm.......Do you mean level D?

And for the same weld, "not permitted" in level B is what depth at the weld toe?.........Not sure what you talk about here
Parent - - By matin08 Date 06-24-2008 10:28
It's a bit of a difficult one to explain.
Defining penetration is the depth of the fusion boundary in relation to the plate surface?

If there is no given requirement for acceptable depth of penetration on a fillet weld then how can you measure a defect?

If you macro a weld and the penetration, (fusion boundary) goes right along the plate surface, but with no evidence of a fusion defect, can it be failed through lack of penetration and by how much?

If, in level B & C it is not permitted, then there must be a nominal amount.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-24-2008 13:31 Edited 06-24-2008 13:39
It seems we may have a "failure to communicate".

Once again, terms and definitions are important so that we can understand the question and so we can provide a meaningful response. To that end, I am attaching a couple of sketches that may clarify the proper terminology associated with fillet welds. A word of caution: the terminology can change from one country to the next or from one welding standard to the next. I am using the terms as defined by AWS A3.0.

I hope this helps the discussion.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / BS EN 5817 lack of penatraction